Off topic: Fun translation game for the New Year
Thread poster: SDL_Elliott
SDL_Elliott
SDL_Elliott
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:29
Jan 6, 2014

Welcome to the Other games forum! This forum is part of the Translator playground: a place for translators to have fun, to network, to learn, and to hone their translation or linguistic skills. See the announcement here.
Need a quick break from work? In this area translators and language professionals can play games and share material which do not fit in other categories within the Translator playground.

If you need help or would like to propose an addition to the Translator playground, contact site staff through the online support system.

Hello everyone,

Looking for some fun to cure the back-to-work blues?

Test your translation review skills in our timed game - Beat the Review!

www.translationzone.com/beat-the-review

Hope you enjoy it, it’s very addictive.

Elliott

Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:29
French to English
+ ...
anagramme Jan 6, 2014

It's fun, but kind of annoying to get stopped in your tracks by making the "wrong" choice between loin, ilon & lion: how are we to know which of "loin" and "lion" (both words in French) is the target?

Another point: not everyone is on the Trados bandwagon. I don't use it and don't know - nor want to - what WorldServer (for example) is. (Nor did the simple addition of "SDL" to Elliot's handle suffice: I was under the impression that ProZ is for ALL translators, and that our "brand" i
... See more
It's fun, but kind of annoying to get stopped in your tracks by making the "wrong" choice between loin, ilon & lion: how are we to know which of "loin" and "lion" (both words in French) is the target?

Another point: not everyone is on the Trados bandwagon. I don't use it and don't know - nor want to - what WorldServer (for example) is. (Nor did the simple addition of "SDL" to Elliot's handle suffice: I was under the impression that ProZ is for ALL translators, and that our "brand" is not part of our site identity.) It would be good to be warned in advance that this game makes those kind of assumptions.
Collapse

SDL_Elliott
SDL_Elliott
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:29
TOPIC STARTER
Game feedback Jan 6, 2014

Hi Victoria

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the game. I've noted your feedback for any future releases!

Thank you,
Elliott

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 07:29
Greek to English
In English, too Jan 7, 2014

Victoria Britten wrote:

It's fun, but kind of annoying to get stopped in your tracks by making the "wrong" choice between loin, ilon & lion: how are we to know which of "loin" and "lion" (both words in French)

Both are words in English, too.

Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:29
French to English
+ ...
They are indeed... Jan 7, 2014

Philip Lees wrote:

Both are words in English, too.

... but the choice was given in French.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Fun translation game for the New Year

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »