Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Apr 10, 2015

Anyone using this?

I'm getting increasingly frustrated at Word 2011 for Mac and its consistent problems with Thai language, so am about the start the 1 month free trial.

Would love to hear your experience with it so far.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 01:12
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Nope Apr 10, 2015

I haven't tried it, but did you try Word alternatives for Thai, Pages or Writer (open source)?

Cheers,

Hans

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:12
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Great Apr 10, 2015

I've been using it for a year or so and it's brilliant. If you encounter a problem (I had some teething problems with Outlook in the beginning) there is always free tech support. It means you always have the latest version of Office and don't have to worry about upgrades.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
No problems? Apr 10, 2015

Lisa Simpson, MCIL MITI wrote:
I've been using it for a year or so and it's brilliant. If you encounter a problem (I had some teething problems with Outlook in the beginning) there is always free tech support. It means you always have the latest version of Office and don't have to worry about upgrades.

I note that UK subscriptions for a 5-device license pack are really quite cheap, so this is looking increasingly attractive.

Have you had any problems with functionality? E.g. using when not connected to the net, or without OneDrive? (I neither want nor need my data to be stored in a OneDrive account.) Do you find there is any significant in use compared to previous versions? I'm on 2007 and basically happy with that but one day I might upgrade.

Thanks
Dan

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Nope, no problems Apr 10, 2015

Dan, I upgraded from 2003 so it was a big change. As I said, the only problems I had at the start was with Outlook and I'd probably actually attribute that to Gmail rather than Outlook. If you have any issues though there is free tech support, for as long as you maintain the subscription. No problems when not connected to the internet and I don't use OneDrive nor do I even know what it is. I was also a bit doubtful at first but a subscription service is the direction a lot of these companies are... See more
Dan, I upgraded from 2003 so it was a big change. As I said, the only problems I had at the start was with Outlook and I'd probably actually attribute that to Gmail rather than Outlook. If you have any issues though there is free tech support, for as long as you maintain the subscription. No problems when not connected to the internet and I don't use OneDrive nor do I even know what it is. I was also a bit doubtful at first but a subscription service is the direction a lot of these companies are heading in these days and I hope it means the end of concerns about upgrading.Collapse

Claudio Nasso
Claudio Nasso  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:12
English to Italian
+ ...
A good solution, from my point of view Apr 10, 2015

As Lisa, I've been using MS Office 365 (complete edition, i.e. MS Word, Excel, Access, Outlook) for more than one year (I renewed the 2015 subscription last January) and also here no problems at all. Moreover the licence allowed me to install MS Office 365 on two desktop PCs and on my laptop (and I have two more installations available).

I regularly receive upgrades and I do not use OneDrive (most of my signed NDA do not allow me using the Cloud, and I perfectly understand it).
... See more
As Lisa, I've been using MS Office 365 (complete edition, i.e. MS Word, Excel, Access, Outlook) for more than one year (I renewed the 2015 subscription last January) and also here no problems at all. Moreover the licence allowed me to install MS Office 365 on two desktop PCs and on my laptop (and I have two more installations available).

I regularly receive upgrades and I do not use OneDrive (most of my signed NDA do not allow me using the Cloud, and I perfectly understand it).

The tech support, if and when you need it, is very good and “immediate” when using the “chat” mode.

The subscription solution is a formula adopted by several SW companies and I have a similar licence also for Adobe InDesign and Adobe Acrobar XI Pro and all works perfectly.

Claudio
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:12
Finnish to French
Office 365 for Mac = Office 2011 Apr 14, 2015

DJHartmann wrote:
I'm getting increasingly frustrated at Word 2011 for Mac and its consistent problems with Thai language, so am about the start the 1 month free trial.

Office 365 for Mac is just Office 2011 + Microsoft's cloud services (OneDrive) + a new licensing model (monthly or yearly subscription instead of one-off payment). Therefore chances are it won't change anything regarding your problems with Thai.

What you may want to have a look at is Office 2016, a "preview" of which is available (here). With luck, it may perform better with Thai, whatever are the problems you're having with it.

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
correct, thanks Apr 14, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

chances are it won't change anything regarding your problems with Thai.

You're exactly right.

Thanks for the link! Will try it now.

I assume this will be part of the 365 package once it's past the test phase?

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:12
Finnish to French
What's included in Office 365 Apr 14, 2015

DJHartmann wrote:
I assume this will be part of the 365 package once it's past the test phase?

Yes, my understanding is the 365 package always includes the latest version of MS Office available for any given platform, eg. 2011 for Mac, or 2013 for Windows. 365 also lets you use the mobile version of Office (for Android, iOS or Windows Phone), if you have a compatible mobile device.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Thanks Dominique..... Apr 14, 2015

...very useful remarks.

As a Mac user I am in the habit of regularly cloning my complete hard drive- at least every day.

I presume with Office 365 that would create licensing problems I'd rather not have.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Trial Apr 14, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

What you may want to have a look at is Office 2016, a "preview" of which is available (here). With luck, it may perform better with Thai, whatever are the problems you're having with it.

I'm going to download the preview (thanks to Dominique for the link) and play with it. It doesn't overwrite Office 2011 - although at first glance it looks as if the GUI has just been tweaked a little, and nothing else.

[Edited at 2015-04-14 12:07 GMT]

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 23:42
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
The Hindi version has issues Apr 16, 2015

I have tried the free versions of MS Office on my iphone and ipad, and they have issues as far as Hindi is concerned (which is a language similar to Thai, as far as the script goes, ie., a non-Latin-script language).

For example, in OneNote, any Hindi text that appears ok on a Windows machine, will appear as split up when viewed in the OneNote in iphone or ipad.

This is the reason why I finally abandoned OneNote and went for EverNote. I am also planning to delete MS Off
... See more
I have tried the free versions of MS Office on my iphone and ipad, and they have issues as far as Hindi is concerned (which is a language similar to Thai, as far as the script goes, ie., a non-Latin-script language).

For example, in OneNote, any Hindi text that appears ok on a Windows machine, will appear as split up when viewed in the OneNote in iphone or ipad.

This is the reason why I finally abandoned OneNote and went for EverNote. I am also planning to delete MS Office from my iphone and ipad as I rarely use them, and they have the same font related problems with Hindi.

I find Pages much more sophisticated and better integrated to the Mac environment than MS Word.

But the MS Office 2016 for Mac seems promising, but I haven't tried this, so I cannot comment on it.
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 01:12
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Mind your macros... Apr 16, 2015

"A fully-sandboxed application cannot read or write outside its own defined container: this imposes some tight restrictions on VBA. Many VBA macros will need to be substantially re-architected to work in a sandbox." "[The Word:mac 2016] Preview is `fully sand-boxed' because Microsoft and Apple intend to sell it via the Apple Store. A fully-sandboxed application cannot read or write outside its own defined container: this imposes some tight restrictions on VBA. Many VBA macros will need to be substantially re-architected to work in a sandbox." (Answers MS).

"...But Word 2016—in this preview version—doesn't let you create or record a macro at all. I managed to import some of my macros by saving them in a document in Word 2011 and then opening that document in Word 2016, but the preview version crashed if I tried this with complex macros." (PC Magazine)

Pages is the answer. And Automator and AppleScript.

Cheers,

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Office 365

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »