Thread poster: Javier Wasserzug
Javier Wasserzug
Javier Wasserzug  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 9, 2013

It is exactly the same footer for 88 documents, a disclaimer that says "this is a translation"
Is there a way to do this without having to open every document and paste the little paragraph??

Thank you!

Gül Kaya
Gül Kaya  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:58
Turkish to English
+ ...
Under the Insert tab Jul 9, 2013

You need to click the Insert tab at the top of your Word document and at the top of the page you should see header and footer. Click on footer and then write your text. I have MS Word 2010 but it should be in the same place in other versions.

[Edited at 2013-07-09 19:32 GMT]

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:58
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Use Apache OpenOffice or LibreOffice Jul 9, 2013

In Apache OpenOffice/LibreOffice, headers/footers are features of page styles. Just modify it in one document and use Stylist (F11) → Load styles… → From File… with Pages and Overwrite ticked for other documents to propagate.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Create a template Jul 9, 2013

Create a template in Word with the required footer in it and use this template for all the documents.

Phong Le
Phong Le  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 12:58
Vietnamese
+ ...
is it applied for new docs only Jul 10, 2013

Jack Doughty wrote:

Create a template in Word with the required footer in it and use this template for all the documents.

Hi Jack, good point but is it applied for new docs only, not to open the existing docs?

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
You'd have to open the documents Jul 10, 2013

In would be ideal if you had the template before creating the documents, but since they already exist, I think you would have to open each one and copy it into the template, so maybe this is not a good idea for your present situation after all. It's probably no better than opening each document and its footer and pasting the text into it. Sorry, I can't think of any way you could do it without opening the documents. Maybe some macro exists or could be created, but I don't know much about that... See more
In would be ideal if you had the template before creating the documents, but since they already exist, I think you would have to open each one and copy it into the template, so maybe this is not a good idea for your present situation after all. It's probably no better than opening each document and its footer and pasting the text into it. Sorry, I can't think of any way you could do it without opening the documents. Maybe some macro exists or could be created, but I don't know much about that subject.Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 07:58
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
CAT TOOL? / Word 'master document' Jul 10, 2013

I have a faint recollection that one of the CAT tools offers a 'batch processing' function that lets you do this sort of thing: make a change in one document, applying to a whole selection of files at the same time.

If not, and assuming you could tolerate the fact that the files lose their original filenames, there are utilities available that let you merge a group of .DOC files, edit the merged file, and then ungroup it all at the end; but the one I used at least didn't allow you t
... See more
I have a faint recollection that one of the CAT tools offers a 'batch processing' function that lets you do this sort of thing: make a change in one document, applying to a whole selection of files at the same time.

If not, and assuming you could tolerate the fact that the files lose their original filenames, there are utilities available that let you merge a group of .DOC files, edit the merged file, and then ungroup it all at the end; but the one I used at least didn't allow you to retain the original filenames at the end.

There used to be a word processor function (under WordPerfect, at least!) that enabled you to concatenate multiple files into a single document, but that DID allow you recover the original filenames at the end; I've a feeling something similar does exist in Word, doesn't it? It's probably in 'Help', if only you can find it (and it always helps if one knows what it's actually called)!

Yes, under Word (2003) it is called a 'master document', and the help file tells you how to convert existing files into a master document; I assume from there you can do all the things you need to.

[Edited at 2013-07-10 07:44 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to insert same footer

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »