Off topic: Can you identify this language?
Thread poster: JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 09:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 7, 2013

Pakuti pamene tinali chikhalire ofoka, pa nyengo yake Khristu anawafera osapembedza. Aroma 5:6

I was given a lovely picture of African elephants with the above caption. I guessed (from "Khristu") that it might be a biblical quotation, and "Aroma" made me think of the Epistle to the Romans. I'm 98% certain I'm right, because Romans 5:6 reads:

"You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly." (NIV)

But I'm cu
... See more
Pakuti pamene tinali chikhalire ofoka, pa nyengo yake Khristu anawafera osapembedza. Aroma 5:6

I was given a lovely picture of African elephants with the above caption. I guessed (from "Khristu") that it might be a biblical quotation, and "Aroma" made me think of the Epistle to the Romans. I'm 98% certain I'm right, because Romans 5:6 reads:

"You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly." (NIV)

But I'm curious by nature and would like to know what language this is. Can you help? Many thanks.

Jane
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:31
German to English
+ ...
Chichewa? Feb 7, 2013

Just a guess:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chewa_language

If you google "Khristu anawafera" a couple of pamphlets come up:
download.jw.org/files/media_books/45/es13_CN.pdf
and
download.branham.org.s3.amazonaws.com/.../CHA62-1013.pdf

A few of the words in the Wikipedia article also show up in the pamphlets and the Watchtower one says "Chichewa"
... See more
Just a guess:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chewa_language

If you google "Khristu anawafera" a couple of pamphlets come up:
download.jw.org/files/media_books/45/es13_CN.pdf
and
download.branham.org.s3.amazonaws.com/.../CHA62-1013.pdf

A few of the words in the Wikipedia article also show up in the pamphlets and the Watchtower one says "Chichewa" and "Made in the Republic of South Africa."

[Edited at 2013-02-07 20:28 GMT]
Collapse

Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)
Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:31
English to Dutch
+ ...
Swahili? Feb 7, 2013

I've run this through Google Translate, which claims it can automatically identify a source language. It says: Swahili. It doesn't give a translation though... ("Kuti disdain tinali chikhalire ofoka, place his nyengo Khristu is wafera osapembedza. aroma 5:6")

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Chichewa Feb 8, 2013

It looks like Daina is right, it's Chichewa, and you're also correct, Aroma = Romans.

I found this, I hope it helps ^_^

http://sasrc.com/chichewa/

Angelique Blommaert
Angelique Blommaert  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:31
Member (2012)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Pakuti Feb 8, 2013

Is a Nigerian place. I would also go for Chichewa.

http://translate.chichewadictionary.org/

chikhalire: from the beginning

pamene: where
nyengo : season

yake= his or her

Can't realy find it in Romans 5:6 though.

[Edited at 2013-02-08 08:22 GMT]

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 09:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, everybody. Feb 9, 2013

I was kind of hoping for someone who really knows the mystery language to pop up, but you've got me pretty well convinced that Chichewa is probably right.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can you identify this language?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »