Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 02:59
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Sep 10, 2010

Hi,

I am toying with the idea of starting a translation blog.

Since I know next to nothing about writing blogs (I've only read blogs so far), can any of you who have a blog give me any tips about what blogging site I should choose? Is there absolutely no difference between what the available blogging sites offer to bloggers? Or have you found that some sites are better than others. If so, in what ways? Is there anything in particular I should look for or avoid?
... See more
Hi,

I am toying with the idea of starting a translation blog.

Since I know next to nothing about writing blogs (I've only read blogs so far), can any of you who have a blog give me any tips about what blogging site I should choose? Is there absolutely no difference between what the available blogging sites offer to bloggers? Or have you found that some sites are better than others. If so, in what ways? Is there anything in particular I should look for or avoid?

Thanks in advance.

Maciek
Collapse

Mykhailo Voloshko
Mykhailo Voloshko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 03:59
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
wordpress Sep 10, 2010

A few suggestions:

- Buy hosting to be the sole owner of blog;
- Buy a domain name;
- Install Content Management Software (CMS) — hosters usually help with this. I would advise Wordpress, as it has all the necessary features for blogging and it's more reader-friendly: it's easier for readers to post a comment, unlike Google's blogger.

Good luck!

My blogs:
Wordpress (paid hosting an
... See more
A few suggestions:

- Buy hosting to be the sole owner of blog;
- Buy a domain name;
- Install Content Management Software (CMS) — hosters usually help with this. I would advise Wordpress, as it has all the necessary features for blogging and it's more reader-friendly: it's easier for readers to post a comment, unlike Google's blogger.

Good luck!

My blogs:
Wordpress (paid hosting and domain): http://www.wordhord.com/
Wordpress (ProZ hosting and domain): http://wordhord.my.proz.com/
Blogger (free): http://english-russian-translator.blogspot.com/

[Edited at 2010-09-10 22:19 GMT]
Collapse

Marco Dib
Marco Dib
Brazil
Local time: 21:59
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Buy nothing Sep 10, 2010

Well, I have a different opinion from the buddy above. I think you need not to buy a domain. Use blogger.com!

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 07:59
English to Thai
+ ...
Hotmail blog Sep 11, 2010

I am sorry to write about trade name but Hotmail blog is free of charge. I use it for writing blogs about my main job: translation of technical documents. Many readers access to it via Google Search. If you have a Hotmail account, you can click and start it quickly with plenty of capacity.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Maria Rodriguez Palma
Maria Rodriguez Palma
Austria
Member (2009)
German to Spanish
+ ...
I use blogger.com Sep 11, 2010

And I'm very happy so far. I write two blogs when I have time enough... a blog about translation in Spanish http://mariapalma2.blogspot.com and a blog just to improve my German writing skills and to share ideas with friends..in German, of course http://mariapalma1.blogspot.com

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:59
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
You can use Blogger with your own domain Sep 12, 2010

You can find more details here: http://www.blogger.com/features
so it is mostly a question which platform is:
- more friendly to the owner
- more friendly to the readers and
- more friendly to search engines.

My general opinion is that Blogger works better "out of the box" while Wordpress offers hundreds of extensions which enhance its functionality, there is also wid
... See more
You can find more details here: http://www.blogger.com/features
so it is mostly a question which platform is:
- more friendly to the owner
- more friendly to the readers and
- more friendly to search engines.

My general opinion is that Blogger works better "out of the box" while Wordpress offers hundreds of extensions which enhance its functionality, there is also wide choice of templates allowing to change the way it looks.

I believe that both platforms may very well suite needs of blogging translator.

Best Regards
Stanislaw
Collapse

Julie Fragkaki
Julie Fragkaki
English to Greek
+ ...
I agree on Blogger.com Sep 13, 2010

Hi Maciek,

As others said already Blogger.com is more than sufficient for a beginners needs! Over the last decade I have started several blogs but due to various reasons I always stop writing on them. This is the reason I would not advise you to get a domain and your own hosting from the beginning. I would recommend you start blogging on blogger.com and should you like doing so, in the future you can always go more "pro" by getting the domain of your choice.

Happy bl
... See more
Hi Maciek,

As others said already Blogger.com is more than sufficient for a beginners needs! Over the last decade I have started several blogs but due to various reasons I always stop writing on them. This is the reason I would not advise you to get a domain and your own hosting from the beginning. I would recommend you start blogging on blogger.com and should you like doing so, in the future you can always go more "pro" by getting the domain of your choice.

Happy blogging

P.S. Windows Live Writer is a big plus and makes your life a lot easier!

[Edited at 2010-09-13 07:17 GMT]
Collapse

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
On the other hand Sep 13, 2010

Cost of your own domain and hosting is negligible and having your own domain, if you start let's say with Blogger and feel like switching to Wordpress, you can keep your old address.

Cheers
S

Maciek Drobka
Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some detailed questions Sep 13, 2010

Thank you all very much for all the replies so far! They are very valuable.

FYI, I've decided to buy my own domain; somehow that's an obvious thing for me, and I wouldn't like to change that.

At this point, I have two more detailed questions:

1. What if I decide at a later point to detach myself from my blog provider, Wordpress or Blogger, and move my blog to my own web site? Will I be able to move all the 'historic' content (blog entries) as well, includin
... See more
Thank you all very much for all the replies so far! They are very valuable.

FYI, I've decided to buy my own domain; somehow that's an obvious thing for me, and I wouldn't like to change that.

At this point, I have two more detailed questions:

1. What if I decide at a later point to detach myself from my blog provider, Wordpress or Blogger, and move my blog to my own web site? Will I be able to move all the 'historic' content (blog entries) as well, including any readers' comments?

(As an inexperienced non-blogger, please tell me straight away if the question above shows I am missing something fundamental here.)

2. Do I have complete control over my content on Wordpress or Blogger if I buy a premium/paid account/feature set? For example, if I want to run an always-on ad for a friend's online bookshop on my blog, am I allowed to do that? If I want to put a Google Ads box on my blog, can I do that? If I do not any other advertising on my blog, can I get that?

Thanks!

Maciek
Collapse

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Blogger Sep 13, 2010

I use Blogger and it suits me fine, the only problem is that I have not yet discovered how to upload videos into a blog - so I just have images and text.

You are invited to visit my blog at: www.paul-translator.blogspot.com ("blogspot" is just a domain used by Blogger). All posts in English and Portuguese.

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
@ Paul Sep 13, 2010

You don't need to upload videos to your blog - you just upload them to Youtube, generate fragment of HTML code, paste it on your blog and the video is embedded in your blog but played from Youtube- main advantages are:
- it's very simple
- you don't strain your hosting
- you get extra promotion through Youtube

Cheers
S

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
@ Maciek Sep 13, 2010

Content of your blog is stored in an MYSQL database - you can always export it, however to import it in another system most likely you will need someone savvy

When it comes to advertising - I don't know about Blogger, but in case of Wordpress you are free to place there as many adds as you please or none at all (most likely you need to keep a text link to Wordpress.org but I am not 100% sure).

Btw. what you are going to blog about?

Cheers
Staszek

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Response to Stanislaw Sep 13, 2010

Thank you for your comment. The videos I plan to upload to my blog are not personal videos but are taken from YouTube.

Maciek Drobka
Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Staszek Sep 13, 2010

Stanislaw Czech wrote:

Content of your blog is stored in an MYSQL database - you can always export it, however to import it in another system most likely you will need someone savvy

When it comes to advertising - I don't know about Blogger, but in case of Wordpress you are free to place there as many adds as you please or none at all (most likely you need to keep a text link to Wordpress.org but I am not 100% sure).

Btw. what you are going to blog about?

Cheers
Staszek

Thank you for all your valuable input! I have an SQL-savvy friend who should help in case I need it, so I've got this one covered.

I haven't decided yet what I will blog about. I have too many ideas that need sifting through, but ongoing projects keep getting in the way.

Maciek

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
embedded blog Sep 14, 2010

Hi, two questions.

1. How do I embed my blogger blog in my website?

This and this instruction obviously have some steps missing.

2. Which site is better for embedded blogs - blogger
... See more
Hi, two questions.

1. How do I embed my blogger blog in my website?

This and this instruction obviously have some steps missing.

2. Which site is better for embedded blogs - blogger or wordpress?

Thanks.

[Edited at 2010-09-14 06:01 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A question to those of you who blog

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »