Thread poster: Mónica Algazi
Mónica Algazi
Mónica Algazi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 17:39
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
Oct 17, 2013

Though I have written to the Kilgray memoQ support team, here's the problem I encountered:

I received a document in ttx and pdf format, and was asked to submit the translation in ttx (bilingual file in Trados).

I was able to import both the ttx and the pdf, but could only work with the latter as the ttx file appeared to e empty.

When I finally completed the translation in memoQ, I tried to export it in ttx, but all I got was a bilingual file in Word with no
... See more
Though I have written to the Kilgray memoQ support team, here's the problem I encountered:

I received a document in ttx and pdf format, and was asked to submit the translation in ttx (bilingual file in Trados).

I was able to import both the ttx and the pdf, but could only work with the latter as the ttx file appeared to e empty.

When I finally completed the translation in memoQ, I tried to export it in ttx, but all I got was a bilingual file in Word with no format at all.

The client insists in receiving a ttx (bilingual file in Trados) and I cannot find a way to solve the problem.

Can anyone give me a hand, please? This is an urgent request.

Thanks in advance,

Mónica
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:39
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Presegmentation Oct 17, 2013

This is typical of having added the TTX file to memoQ without presegmenting it. The result is that memoQ does not "see" any segments in the TTX file, and therefore shows 0 translatable segments in the TTX.

If you wish, I can presegment the file for you. Just email me via my profile!

Carl Carter
Carl Carter
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Import the pre-segmented TTX and pre-translate Oct 17, 2013

Mónica Algazi wrote:

When I finally completed the translation in memoQ, I tried to export it in ttx, but all I got was a bilingual file in Word with no format at all.

Hi Mónica,

Just so you know, memoQ 6 and memoQ 2013 can import PDF files if they haven't been scanned and OCR'd, but the output is simply a TXT file with very little structural similarity to the PDF. That's just the way it works, I'm afraid. (For more details on this, please read the help documentation.)

Perhaps Tomas can help you. Or you can ask the customer to pre-segment the TTX file for you and then send that to you. You should then be able to import that and pre-translate it using the PDF translation you've just done, which will be in your translation memory. If there are lots of tags in the TTX file, though, the pre-translated segments won't give you 100% matches - you'll have to insert and edit them by adding the missing tags. Confirm your "new" translation and once you've got through the whole file, export it, in which case it will appear in the original TTX format again, just as your customer wants.

Regards

Carl

Mónica Algazi
Uruguay
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
I've just sent it to you Oct 17, 2013

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

This is typical of having added the TTX file to memoQ without presegmenting it. The result is that memoQ does not "see" any segments in the TTX file, and therefore shows 0 translatable segments in the TTX.

If you wish, I can presegment the file for you. Just email me via my profile!

In fact, this is exactly what the Kilgray support team has just said to me, so your offer is more than welcome, Tomás.

Thank you so much!

Mónica

[Edited at 2013-10-17 15:13 GMT]

Carl Carter
Carl Carter
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Two quick links to more background info Oct 17, 2013

On processing TTX files in memoQ, see http://kilgray.com/memoq/62/help-en/index.html?ttx.html.

As Tomas has indicated, it says: "For perfect compatibility, memoQ requires TTX files to have been completely presegmented using the Translate command of Trados Translator's Workbench, with the Segment unknown sentences option enabled."

On processing PDF files,
... See more
On processing TTX files in memoQ, see http://kilgray.com/memoq/62/help-en/index.html?ttx.html.

As Tomas has indicated, it says: "For perfect compatibility, memoQ requires TTX files to have been completely presegmented using the Translate command of Trados Translator's Workbench, with the Segment unknown sentences option enabled."

On processing PDF files, see http://kilgray.com/memoq/62/help-en/index.html?pdf.html

N.B.: "In memoQ, there are significant restrictions in handling PDF files compared to other document formats: it is not possible to export an imported PDF file as a PDF file, memoQ exports them as plain text files. If you need to keep the formatting features of a document, we recommend that before using memoQ, you convert your PDF file into some other supported format."

Regards

Carl
Collapse

TheAlphaSens (X)
TheAlphaSens (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:39
English to French
Import with options > Import unsegmented content Oct 17, 2013

> Import with options
> TTX filter
> Tick "Import unsegmented content"

Mónica Algazi
Uruguay
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
A HUGE "THANK YOU" Oct 17, 2013

Dear colleagues,

Thanks to your help, links and advice, I was finally able to deliver the translated TTX file by the deadline.

Have a great weekend and, again, THANKS!!!

Mónica

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Oct 17, 2013

[Edited at 2013-10-17 20:31 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HELP!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »