Thread poster: neilmac
neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 16:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 1, 2013

It seems that the the language used by art galleries, critics and catalogues now has an "official" name: "International Art English" or IAE, according to this article.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/artinfo/international-art-english-the-joke-that-forgot-it-was-funny_b_3397760.html

Perhaps a sort of "p
... See more
It seems that the the language used by art galleries, critics and catalogues now has an "official" name: "International Art English" or IAE, according to this article.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/artinfo/international-art-english-the-joke-that-forgot-it-was-funny_b_3397760.html

Perhaps a sort of "pseuds' corner" feature with some of the most cringeworthy translations in the arts area would be a fun addition to the proz site?

The original article can be perused here:
http://canopycanopycanopy.com/16/international_art_english

[Edited at 2013-08-01 16:21 GMT]

Sorry folks, unless it's my PC, the article seems to be no longer available through the canopy link.

[Edited at 2013-08-01 16:29 GMT]
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:51
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
This cartoon came to mind... Aug 1, 2013

...when I saw the topic heading.

--“It’s a naïve domestic Burgundy without any breeding, but I believe you’ll be amused by its presumption.”—James Thurber

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 16:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
IAE, and its cousins ITBE and IArchE Aug 2, 2013

Thanks for allowing us to focus on this, Neil, even if it may give us indigestion. As a veteran of museum website translation and the like, I might also recommend those wishing for the opportunity to wax lyrical to head for ITBE (International Tourist Brochure English) or its website equivalent, and IArchE (International Architects' English) as found in project descriptions.

And just yesterday someone was trying to persuade me to bring my price down for an ITBE text because the sty
... See more
Thanks for allowing us to focus on this, Neil, even if it may give us indigestion. As a veteran of museum website translation and the like, I might also recommend those wishing for the opportunity to wax lyrical to head for ITBE (International Tourist Brochure English) or its website equivalent, and IArchE (International Architects' English) as found in project descriptions.

And just yesterday someone was trying to persuade me to bring my price down for an ITBE text because the style was descriptive and not technical. Ha!

And thanks to Jack for reminding me of the Thurber, although it also reminded me of an unhappy encounter with a major player in Spanish wineries who rejected my translation on the grounds that I was evidently not a native speaker - I clearly hadn't waxed nearly lyrical enough for them. But that's another story...

Edited to say that I am all in favour of Proz's very own pseuds corner.

[Edited at 2013-08-02 18:21 GMT] Oh, and no problem with the link to triple canopy - just keep pressing on the plus sign to read.

[Edited at 2013-08-02 18:22 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Waxing lyrical - Arty English or IAE

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »