Someone please define "more than one term question"?
Thread poster: Mavericker (X)
Mavericker (X)
Mavericker (X)
English
Feb 9, 2007

I'd like to post some new transltion requests, but before I do, I'd like to please define "More than one term question"? I'm aware of the changes made to these forums recently. Irecently posted a translation request, and the question was removed by a mod who said the reason was "Contains a more than one term question." What does this mean? It is encouraged that you should post as much information about the question as you can. I included terms that I already knew in my question, and posted them ... See more
I'd like to post some new transltion requests, but before I do, I'd like to please define "More than one term question"? I'm aware of the changes made to these forums recently. Irecently posted a translation request, and the question was removed by a mod who said the reason was "Contains a more than one term question." What does this mean? It is encouraged that you should post as much information about the question as you can. I included terms that I already knew in my question, and posted them in the topic in the in the question: "Besides (blank), (blank), etc. what are (type of) terms than mean (the term I requested translations for)"? Is there something wrong with this question? I'm not asking for more translations for more than one different term in the same question. Would anyone suggest that I get an appeal to get the removed question unremoved, or should I repost the question? Please let me know.Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:05
German to English
More than one term per question Feb 9, 2007

Mavericker wrote:

Irecently posted a translation request, and the question was removed by a mod who said the reason was "Contains a more than one term question." What does this mean? It is encouraged that you should post as much information about the question as you can. I included terms that I already knew in my question, and posted them in the topic in the in the question: "Besides (blank), (blank), etc. what are (type of) terms than mean (the term I requested translations for)"?

Hi Mavericker -
If the KudoZ question you asked contained only one term and you merely provided terms you were already aware of in your explanation, the question should not have been squashed simply on the basis of rule 2.3 for asking questions:

2.3 One term is allowed per question. Including multiple terms for translation in a single KudoZ posting interferes with the process of generating glossary entries.

I'd suggest you send in a support ticket (click on Support on the main page) asking for a review of the question that was squashed.

Remember, though, that in the past you've used the "ask-the-asker" box to request translations of additional terms, thus indirectly violating rule 2.3. Maybe the question you're referring to was squashed because you were attempting to circumvent the one term per question in this manner and keeping KudoZ questions open for weeks while asking more and more questions, only in the end, to close the question without grading. You've also frequently asked for multiple translations of a single term.

On the first page of your KudoZ questions asked, out of 50 questions you've closed 19 in the normal way and closed 30 without grading: "This question was closed without grading. Reason: Other." It's clear that you haven't been very successful in using KudoZ for its intended purpose. The one term that you "answered" was an abuse of the system: you used the answer question feature to ask for additional information under a different profile.

My recommendation would be to formulate your questions carefully, ask only for one term at a time, and then select the most helpful answer within a reasonable amount of time. Do not ask for multiple translations of a single term. Do not use the ask-the-asker box to ask for additional translations. In terms of context and explanations provided, it's good to let answerers know what you already know yourself, but you should also consider letting your helpers know what you are trying to achieve with your questions. Tell them about the readership: who's going to be reading the text you produce with your translations? What kind of text are you going to produce, etc.?

[Edited at 2007-02-09 16:56]

Mavericker (X)
Mavericker (X)
English
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to Kim Metzger Feb 9, 2007

Hello, Mr. Metzger. Do all the moderators here know each other? I was having some difficulty dealing with the Chinese moderator. I understand what you are saying about multiple translations, but what is the problem if the translators post their responses individually? Sometimes translators will post more than one term, even without for it. Please respond.

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 18:05
English to Chinese
+ ...
Same advice as last time Feb 9, 2007

Mavericker wrote:
I'd like to post some new transltion requests

Have you thought about posting a job? Although judging by your disregard for people who try to help you by closing so many questions without grading, don't be surprised if they ask for 100% payment in advance!

http://www.proz.com/post/469650#469650

Mavericker (X)
Mavericker (X)
English
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to Chinese Concept Feb 9, 2007

I leave the questions open because I still wait for new responses. I close them when the moderators ask me to, or if I have to.

Mavericker (X)
Mavericker (X)
English
TOPIC STARTER
Another comment for Chinese Concept Feb 9, 2007

Chinese Concept wrote:

Mavericker wrote:
I'd like to post some new transltion requests

Have you thought about posting a job? Although judging by your disregard for people who try to help you by closing so many questions without grading, don't be surprised if they ask for 100% payment in advance!

http://www.proz.com/post/469650#469650

As I said, I leave the questions open in hopes of getting new responses. I close them down, becuae I have to in order to post new questions. I don't close them up permananetly-I will go back and grade some of them. Did you read my other comment? I'm not trying to be rude to the translators here-I appreciate their help.

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:05
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Rewrite KudoZ squashing reason to add clarity Feb 9, 2007

Hi all,

I believe part of the confusion might stem from the fact that the wording of the squashing reason given if a question contains more than one term is misleading. IMHO the phrase "Includes more than one term question" is worded the wrong way round, and could be misinterpreted.

Why not simply change this to "Question includes more than one term"? Makes things much clearer, methinks

My 2c,
... See more
Hi all,

I believe part of the confusion might stem from the fact that the wording of the squashing reason given if a question contains more than one term is misleading. IMHO the phrase "Includes more than one term question" is worded the wrong way round, and could be misinterpreted.

Why not simply change this to "Question includes more than one term"? Makes things much clearer, methinks

My 2c,
Steffen
Collapse

Marius Reika
Marius Reika  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:35
English to Lithuanian
Nice guy Feb 10, 2007

I'm not trying to be rude to the translators here-I appreciate their help.

Doesn't seem that way. Try filling in your profile, Mr. Anonymous, stop closing kudoz without grading, and please, use Chinese Concept suggestion. That would show some "appreciation".

Marius

Mavericker (X)
Mavericker (X)
English
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to Marius Reika Feb 10, 2007

Marius Reika wrote:

I'm not trying to be rude to the translators here-I appreciate their help.

Doesn't seem that way. Try filling in your profile, Mr. Anonymous, stop closing kudoz without grading, and please, use Chinese Concept suggestion. That would show some "appreciation".

Marius
What should I do? I keep the questions open because I want others to post new posts. These are free forums-if I had the money to pay someone, I would.

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:05
German to English
More than one term per question Feb 10, 2007

Mavericker wrote:

What should I do? I keep the questions open because I want others to post new posts. These are free forums-if I had the money to pay someone, I would.

I think you could start by not referring to KudoZ as a "forum." We are now discussing your thread in a forum in which the discussion can go on for pages and pages with everybody chiming in. KudoZ is not intended to be a forum for endless discussions. But you seem to have misunderstood that http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1188696

1. What is KudoZ?

KudoZ is a terms help network. Through KudoZ, ProZ.com users offer each other, and guests, free assistance in translating tough terms. Take a look at our flash introduction to learn more.

http://www.proz.com/?sp=about/kudoz#what_are_kudoz

[Edited at 2007-02-10 02:17]

KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 18:05
Japanese to English
All I can say is.... Feb 10, 2007

I'm lovin' that filter function!!!

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:05
English to Arabic
+ ...
I never liked the phrase either Feb 14, 2007

Steffen Walter wrote:

IMHO the phrase "Includes more than one term question" is worded the wrong way round, and could be misinterpreted.

I think it's meant to be 'Contains a "more-than-one-term" question' but you're right, it's not clear enough and should be rephrased.

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:05
English to Arabic
+ ...
Choose the translation you actually went for Feb 14, 2007

Mavericker wrote:

I leave the questions open because I still wait for new responses. I close them when the moderators ask me to, or if I have to.

Hi Mavericker,

If we were all to follow your line of thinking, no Kudoz questions would EVER be closed, because there's always the possibility that someone may come up with a new response in the future.

But at some point, we have to make a decision. Which answer did you actually use in your final translation (if you do translations at all, that is)? Even if it's not the best answer under the sun, it deserves the points (it's not like you're paying for these points from your own money - don't be so stingy!!)

Closing the question without grading and without so much as a "thank you" to the translators who wasted their time finding an answer for your questions (and your questions - I have checked them - can be called "tricky" to say the least) can be considered rude, even if you don't mean to be.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Someone please define "more than one term question"?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »