Jussara Simoes (X)
Jussara Simoes (X)  Identity Verified
Brazilia
Local time: 03:25
din engleză în portugheză
+ ...
to Mats Sep 21, 2004

Mats Wiman wrote:

All opposition to 'too many questions' normally die out when the above thoughts are accepted
or when the critics realise that they themselves might profit from the 'too many questions', which normally happens after some time.

Mats

But you forgot about the "Kudoz hunters" (as in bounty hunters), that will answer any question because they want piles and piles of Kudoz.

My language pair (En>Pt) has no moderator, so maybe that's the reason why some people have been abusing. There is one person that anounces on her PRoz profile that she translates 10,000 word/day, but askes 10+ Kudoz questions/day. Her price is low and she is undercutting her colleagues market, she's been asking too many questions, but the Kudos hunters answer her questions anyway.

I'd gladly be a moderator, if Henry is in need of one, and I would not let those abuses happen.

XXXXX
JPS

nlingua
nlingua
Local time: 10:55
din engleză în urdu
+ ...
Just call them "pointless" questions LOL Oct 8, 2004

Henry wrote:

.... and we are going to give askers the option of denoting their questions "no points". So we'll see how it works out!

I think the points system helps the ProZ community to benchmark itself. As someone else pointed out, *any* system is open to abuse. Over time, the community will come to recognise the abusers and disregard their questions.

(0.02 ends)

Jussara Simoes (X)
Brazilia
+ ...
Oct 9, 2004

[Edited at 2005-03-07 04:10]

Jussara Simoes (X)
Brazilia
+ ...
Oct 13, 2004

[Edited at 2005-03-07 04:10]

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germania
Local time: 07:25
Membru (2002)
din engleză în germană
+ ...
Getting the Easy/Pro ratio right Oct 13, 2004

Hi Jussara,

Looking at it from the perspective of the KudoZ sub-communities I am participating in (i.e. mainly English-German/German-English and French-German), I tend to think that the significance of 'Easy' questions is grossly overstated. 'I love you' and the like are more and more consistently being squashed whenever they recur whilst pointing askers to the KudoZ glossaries or online dictionaries.

In my opinion, 90% of questions asked are in fact 'Pro', even if grou
... See more
Hi Jussara,

Looking at it from the perspective of the KudoZ sub-communities I am participating in (i.e. mainly English-German/German-English and French-German), I tend to think that the significance of 'Easy' questions is grossly overstated. 'I love you' and the like are more and more consistently being squashed whenever they recur whilst pointing askers to the KudoZ glossaries or online dictionaries.

In my opinion, 90% of questions asked are in fact 'Pro', even if grouped under 'Easy' by the asker (cf. the definition of 'Easy' - a question that any bilingual would be able to answer). The fact that a term as such might be easy to translate does not necessarily mean that it continues to be easy when used in a specific context.

Also, I'd like to point out that there are some KudoZ changes waiting in the wings that had been discussed at length among moderators and staff, such as limits to the number of KudoZ questions allowed per day or a compulsory glossary search prior to asking. So please be patient for another while as further improvements are being prepared 'behind the scenes'.

Best regards,

Steffen
Collapse

Jussara Simoes (X)
Brazilia
+ ...
Oct 13, 2004

[Edited at 2005-03-07 04:11]

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 01:25
Membru (2002)
din franceză în engleză
+ ...

Squash ridiculous questions Oct 13, 2004

Hi Jussara,

In Squash mode you are given several reasons to choose from for squashing, and one of them is 'has no linguistic merit'. It`s perfect for the Iloveyous that turn up especially on weekends when teens are chatting.

When the option is no longer given to repeat a question, i.e., when some of the changes Steffen was referring to come into effect, many of these questions will simply cease, as the answer to I love you must certainly be in the Kudoz glossary in ever
... See more
Hi Jussara,

In Squash mode you are given several reasons to choose from for squashing, and one of them is 'has no linguistic merit'. It`s perfect for the Iloveyous that turn up especially on weekends when teens are chatting.

When the option is no longer given to repeat a question, i.e., when some of the changes Steffen was referring to come into effect, many of these questions will simply cease, as the answer to I love you must certainly be in the Kudoz glossary in every possible language idem for other questions of this nature.

Nancy
Collapse

Jussara Simoes (X)
Brazilia
+ ...
Oct 13, 2004

Jussara Simoes (X)
Brazilia
+ ...
Oct 13, 2004

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Membru (2002)
din franceză în engleză
+ ...

caveat emptor - let the buyer beware Oct 13, 2004

Jussara Simoes wrote:

Steffen Walter wrote:
> a compulsory glossary search prior to asking.

And who will check the glossary? I've seen humongous calamities in the en>pt and pt>en Kudoz glossaries. I've seen Kudoz askers choose very wrong replies, and they go to the glossaries; I've seen the same word or phrase with numerous hist in the glossaries, and each translation is completely different from the other ones. I've seen "translators" announce "Babylon" as their "CAT Tools". etc. etc. etc. Who will take care of these matters? Looking words up in KudoZ glossary is a high risk business.

XXXXX
JPS

The Latin phrase applies to both glossary-searchers and outsourcers on proz.com.

Points are all well and good, but let me assure you Jussara you are not the only one to deduce that quantity is not necessarily quality.

Outsourcers who select a freelancer who claims to do 10,000 words per day in a variety of languages using Babylon will get what they pay for.

C'mon, are you really in competition with this individual?

As for squashing - forgive me, I didn`t realise you didn`t have the requisite 500 points. Perhaps you should indulge in a little easy point-grabbing to earn the right to squash

Nancy

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Membru (2002)
din franceză în engleză
+ ...

cleaning up the glossary Oct 13, 2004

Hi again,
I too want to see the glossaries cleaned up. In fact, I`d do it myself, but my activities as moderator, plus my translation business, plus day-to-day life and family leave me very little time for this unpaid, volunteer (and probably thankless) work.

Any ideas?

Nancy

Jussara Simoes (X)
Brazilia
+ ...
Oct 13, 2004

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:25
Utilizator
din engleză în spaniolă
+ ...
May I disagree? Oct 13, 2004

Jussara Simoes wrote:
As a matter of fact, I've never been in competition with ANYBODY on Proz. I am member #136, which means I've been a member for I don't know how long, but I've NEVER been chosen by ANY of the oustourcers that look for translators here.

With all due respect, the fact that you did not find them does not mean that there are no good jobs to be found in ProZ.com or via ProZ.com.

And the biddings are only a possibility. KudoZ is a great tool of promotion if you go for quality and you provide great answers, accurate and educative. You may not get zillions of points, but you will get noticed. Another source of jobs is through networking in fora and powwows.

And the glossaries contain obvious mistakes, but if you look at all the answers (not only the chosen ones) you may find good information.

Of course what someone likes and dislikes is a personal thing. I really like this place.

Cheers,
Enrique

Număr de pagini:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why are we doing free translations?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »