Moving closed Kudoz items to my personal glossary (Staff: feature implemented)
Thread poster: Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:00
Russian to English
+ ...
Sep 1, 2010

Is there a way to do this, after I have closed the question already? (These are questions that I asked.)

Here's my reason: I would like to have some of the highly useful Kudoz discussion in a form/location that is more accessible to me in daily work. There is, of course, the "questions asked" page of my profile, accessible only to me, which is okay. But since I have two language pairs and work in multiple subject fields, it's something of a mish-mash, and I hardly ever refer to it.
... See more
Is there a way to do this, after I have closed the question already? (These are questions that I asked.)

Here's my reason: I would like to have some of the highly useful Kudoz discussion in a form/location that is more accessible to me in daily work. There is, of course, the "questions asked" page of my profile, accessible only to me, which is okay. But since I have two language pairs and work in multiple subject fields, it's something of a mish-mash, and I hardly ever refer to it. I'm thinking these items would be more accessible in my proz.com personal glossaries, where I can divide them by language pair and subject matter, and (I think) export them to other formats for use in CAT tools. It would probably have been better if I had added the items in question to my personal glossary, as well as the main Kudoz glossary, when I closed the question, but I didn't. It seemed like an unnecessary duplication. But now I'm thinking, maybe not.

Anyhow, it doesn't seem to be possible to go back and do it now. (And sometimes, in closing a question, the asker is not offered the option of adding the item to one's personal glossary. I have never figured out why this is sometimes so and sometimes not.)

Just to be clear: I'm not trying to just capture "the definition," since in most cases I have already put some of that in the glossaries I use in OmegaT directly. What I'm interested in somehow keeping more accessible is the discussion, as well as the useful reference links people have kindly provided.

I hope my roundabout question is not too confusing. Thanks for any help.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-09-07 17:14 GMT]
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
No option currently available Sep 1, 2010

Hi Susan,

Unfortunately, there is currently no option to automatically add glossary entries that derive from KudoZ questions to personal glossaries, not even when grading KudoZ questions.

To add a term to your personal glossary, simply visit your glossaries page and click on "Enter terms".

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Lucia

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 03:00
SITE STAFF
Interesting idea, Susan Sep 1, 2010

Hi Susan,

I like the idea. I will see if this can be added for future improvements in KudoZ and the glossaries. Thanks!

Jared

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I could SWEAR... Sep 1, 2010

that a choice has sometimes been offered when you close a question and put it into the Kudoz glossary, that says something to the effect of:
"Do you want to put this in your personal glossary?"
If you say yes, it asks you which one, or do you want to create a new one.

I am not making this up (I don't think). Maybe it's a feature that no longer exists.

Anyhow, thanks.

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2009)
French to English
Close Sep 1, 2010

I think the option that you are referring to is to add a "glossary" entry, but it is not your personal glossary. In any case, it is not a bad idea and I am glad to see that ProZ staff is looking into this.

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:00
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

terms already in glossary Sep 1, 2010

Hi Susan,
Yes, this feature still exists; however, the problem is that if the asker has already entered the term into the glossary, the only way for the answerer to add the same to his/her personal glossary is to manually track them down, click "edit glossary entry" (top right), tick the box at the bottom & save. One would have to scroll through his/her accepted answers to do this. I have asked the same question a few months back and found out there isn't an easier way at this point.

Travelin Ann
Travelin Ann  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Questions asked list NOT private Sep 1, 2010

Susan

One comment about your original question - the list of questions you have asked is available for others to see. If I click on your name, the link takes me to your profile, where I can choose to see the questions you have asked or answered.

And you are correct, there is a box to check "Also add term to your personal glossary(s)"

Ann

[Edited at 2010-09-01 23:24 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: At poster's request.
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Option to move closed questions with KOG entries to your personal glossary Sep 7, 2010

Hi all,

Now when a question has been closed and entered in the KudoZ open glossary, you will also have the option, in the top right corner of the question, to "Include in personal glossary". This option allows you to choose in which of your personal glossaries the item is stored (or create a new glossary), and saves the entry with a link back to the question itself. Once you have entered a question in your personal glossary, this option is changed to let you know the question is "Al
... See more
Hi all,

Now when a question has been closed and entered in the KudoZ open glossary, you will also have the option, in the top right corner of the question, to "Include in personal glossary". This option allows you to choose in which of your personal glossaries the item is stored (or create a new glossary), and saves the entry with a link back to the question itself. Once you have entered a question in your personal glossary, this option is changed to let you know the question is "Already in personal glossary", linking to your glossary entry.

Hope this helps.

Jared
Collapse

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Jared Sep 7, 2010

That's great.

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Jared Sep 18, 2010

Belatedly, I'm putting my old Kudoz questions into my personal glossary, and am having a problem.

It worked fine for awhile, including creating a couple of new glossaries in the process. And then, when I wanted to put an item into a new glossary, I clicked that option, typed the name of the new glossary, saved--and the new glossary did not "take." I tried this several times, with screen refreshes, etc., in between. The same thing for several different Kudoz entries. All of them are
... See more
Belatedly, I'm putting my old Kudoz questions into my personal glossary, and am having a problem.

It worked fine for awhile, including creating a couple of new glossaries in the process. And then, when I wanted to put an item into a new glossary, I clicked that option, typed the name of the new glossary, saved--and the new glossary did not "take." I tried this several times, with screen refreshes, etc., in between. The same thing for several different Kudoz entries. All of them are for some reason going into my "Medical" glossary, even though the new glossaries had quite different names. The new glossaries (German, German certificates) are not getting created through this procedure. (I have now created the glossaries separately, outside this procedure, so now I am able to insert the words. But I don't seem to be able to create new glossaries as the new words are being filed.)

Thanks in advance,
Susan
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Thanks Susan Sep 21, 2010

Thanks for reporting this, Susan. In order to make sure this gets properly addressed, I've generated a support request for you on the matter (you can see it in your list of support requests, at http://www.proz.com/support/my_requests ). Feel free to add any particulars and page links to questions you are trying to add there, as this will help staff better address the problem. Thanks!

... See more
Thanks for reporting this, Susan. In order to make sure this gets properly addressed, I've generated a support request for you on the matter (you can see it in your list of support requests, at http://www.proz.com/support/my_requests ). Feel free to add any particulars and page links to questions you are trying to add there, as this will help staff better address the problem. Thanks!

Jared
Collapse

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works now Sep 21, 2010

Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moving closed Kudoz items to my personal glossary (Staff: feature implemented)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »