Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Should askers who find their answer elsewhere be "pushed" to share their findings?
Thread poster: tradu-grace
Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 19:11
Member (2003)
French to English
I disagree Jul 20, 2010

tradugrace wrote:

Dear collegues,

I'd like to make a survey among all of you concerning Kudoz questions.
Some askers do not grade answers stating they have found the solution
elsewhere. In my opinion, as just few of them do, they should be "pushed" to
share their findings with the whole proz community.
Proz platform should be considered as a site where know-how, languages' knowledge
might be shared with one another.
May be, I'm kind of naive person on this subject but the aforesaid is and I think it
still remains my personal point of view.
Gaining points is important but getting some new knowledge is better.

What do you think about it ? What is your opinion on this little survey.
Thanks in advance to those who will reply.

tradugrace

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-07-19 09:59 GMT]

I disagree with "pushing" an Asker to share their findings. While it would be nice to know their findings, I don't think it should be required and I think that others should let it go. Ask once or something, but after that move on, and let the Asker do the same. (I've seen at least one instance where someone would not come off it.) And by no means make it a requirement. An option/opportunity is fine. JMO.

Brian Young
Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:11
Danish to English
another option? Jul 20, 2010

While I agree that we do not need a police force here, and that askers should not be "forced" to divulge the answers that they found. But then you ask, why not? Have they found something so good that they want to stay ahead of the competition by keeping it to themselves? Or are they just too lazy, and have too little respect, for those who have tried to help?
An option I would suggest is that the question cannot be closed if an answer is not chosen, and the asker has not shared his answer.
... See more
While I agree that we do not need a police force here, and that askers should not be "forced" to divulge the answers that they found. But then you ask, why not? Have they found something so good that they want to stay ahead of the competition by keeping it to themselves? Or are they just too lazy, and have too little respect, for those who have tried to help?
An option I would suggest is that the question cannot be closed if an answer is not chosen, and the asker has not shared his answer. He can be free to choose. But when a single asker has accumulated a certain number of questions to which answers have been offered, but that he has chosen not to close by refusing to supply his own answer, then it would be fair to lock down his ability to ask questions until he starts to cooperate. We already have the many serial askers who ask ten or hundreds of questions, while answering few if any. But to consistently take from the system, and not bother to respond is not only irritating, in the long run it is unacceptable, in my opinion.
Collapse

tradu-grace
tradu-grace  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:11
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
to gad Jul 20, 2010

Hi gad,

Thanks for pointing out your opinion.
However, we've already reached a point where it should be an opion/opportunity. Technically talking, a small icon to click in order to decide if someone wants to insert
his/her findings.

If you have time, see my answer to Samuel Murray.

In my view he definitely pointed out the right, respectful and fair solution.

Best,

tradugrace

tradu-grace
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
to Brian Young Jul 20, 2010

Hi Brian,

thanks a lot for your reply. I understand your opinion. However, I believe that too much
policing might jeopardize the good collaboration among us all who are colleagues.

Should you have time and are willing to read it, have a look to my answer to Samuel Murray and to gad (who disagreed).

Best,

tradugrace

Brian Young
Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:11
Danish to English
my thoughts, almost exactly Jul 20, 2010

Hi Tradugrace
I did say that I was not into policing, in an active sense. And I did think about Samuel's remarks. There seems to be a broad agreement not to police, and also not to close questions left unanswered. There should be an easy option for the asker to leave his own answer. Otherwise, my suggestion as outlined is what I would prefer to see. It could be automatic, and not involve any active policing. If people show an ongoing tendency to just take, and not give back, in particular
... See more
Hi Tradugrace
I did say that I was not into policing, in an active sense. And I did think about Samuel's remarks. There seems to be a broad agreement not to police, and also not to close questions left unanswered. There should be an easy option for the asker to leave his own answer. Otherwise, my suggestion as outlined is what I would prefer to see. It could be automatic, and not involve any active policing. If people show an ongoing tendency to just take, and not give back, in particular when they obviously do have something to share, then I am not sure about where the good collaboration is, or who the colleagues are you are referring to.
Brian
Collapse

tradu-grace
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
to Brian Young Jul 21, 2010

Hi Brian,

You're right. We do have the same feeling about a prospective proposal to submit to
proz Management. Congratulations for providing us with your option proposal.

Thanks again,

Best,

Grazia
tradugrace

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 20:11
SITE STAFF
Option to enter information on an answer found elsewhere Jul 21, 2010

Hello all,

It looks like an immediate step which could be taken would be to provide the option to enter information on an answer found elsewhere when an asker closes a question (as Samuel says, the option is presented, but there is no opportunity in the closing process for the asker to elaborate on this). Simply providing the option may give results, without taking the asker's choice on how to close their question away.

Jared

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 20:11
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
A simpler way Jul 21, 2010

The option of closing a question without grading was included for askers who found that none of the answers provided were helpful and who wanted to close the question anyway.

Because of this, the only valid reason for closing a question without grading should be “This question was closed without grading because none of the answers provided was considered helpful by the asker.”

"Answer found elsewhere" should not be a valid reason for closing a question without gradi
... See more
The option of closing a question without grading was included for askers who found that none of the answers provided were helpful and who wanted to close the question anyway.

Because of this, the only valid reason for closing a question without grading should be “This question was closed without grading because none of the answers provided was considered helpful by the asker.”

"Answer found elsewhere" should not be a valid reason for closing a question without grading because the asker is not requested to select the "correct" answer but the one that was "most helpful".

A KudoZ review, including this issue, is planned for the near future.

Enrique
Collapse

tradu-grace
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
to Jared Jul 21, 2010

Hi Jared,

It is lovely to hear from you. Many thanks.

I personally agree with Samuel as well. The opportunity he pointed out would
be terrific and it should be added in the working system.

Did I get your words correctly?

Best,

tradu-grace
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
to Enrique Jul 21, 2010

Hi Enrique,

It is lovely to hear from you as well.

Knowing that a KudoZ review, including this issue, is planned for the near future, sounds
and is really great.

Your "a simpler way" turns out to be really good to me. I believe that the majority who
has shared his/her opinion with me should be on the same line.

Many thanks to you

All the best,

tradugrace

tradu-grace
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
to all colleagues who participated Jul 21, 2010

Dear all colleagues,

Thank you again to all of you providing me and the whole community with
your opinions.

Enrique (who is assisting the platform proz review) assured that a KudoZ review, including this issue, is planned for the near future. We just have to be patient and
wait for aforementioned kudow review.

Best to all of you,

tradugrace
P.S.: do enjoy your vacation time in August or in another month and happy translating
... See more
Dear all colleagues,

Thank you again to all of you providing me and the whole community with
your opinions.

Enrique (who is assisting the platform proz review) assured that a KudoZ review, including this issue, is planned for the near future. We just have to be patient and
wait for aforementioned kudow review.

Best to all of you,

tradugrace
P.S.: do enjoy your vacation time in August or in another month and happy translating.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should askers who find their answer elsewhere be "pushed" to share their findings?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »