What are kudoz for/why did I get this email asking for points?
Thread poster: mireille aboumrad
mireille aboumrad
mireille aboumrad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:05
French to English
+ ...
Apr 12, 2010

Hello,
I am posting this because I had asked a question on proz, received an answer, etc. I usually like to give the points just as a thank you, but according to the site rule, we must wait 24 hours before awarding the points.
I received this email from the person who answered my question:

Dear Mireille,
I hope you will be going back to ProZ.com to rate my answer
to your
question. I need the KudoZ points.
For this to work, and for me to contin
... See more
Hello,
I am posting this because I had asked a question on proz, received an answer, etc. I usually like to give the points just as a thank you, but according to the site rule, we must wait 24 hours before awarding the points.
I received this email from the person who answered my question:

Dear Mireille,
I hope you will be going back to ProZ.com to rate my answer
to your
question. I need the KudoZ points.
For this to work, and for me to continue answering your
questions, all parties have to play the game.
Best regards,
(end of quote)
Just to be clear, it was just 24 hrs after posting my question, and I rarely do post questions. Now I have not been on the site that much, but I would like to know if during my absence, kudoz have become some kind of currency or something? I found the email to be a bit odd, any thoughts?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-04-12 20:00 GMT]
Collapse

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:05
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Contact a moderaotr / submit a support ticket Apr 12, 2010

Trying to influence others in such ways is explicitly disapproved by site rules:
3.6 No attempt may be made to influence others' decisions. Encouraging an asker to choose one's own suggested translation, or peers to agree with one's own answers and/or disagree with answers provided by others, is prohibited.

So, contact the moderator of your language pair or ProZ.com staff; they will get in touch with your peer and explain what may and may not be done. This kind of explanation is best left to a third party.

Kind regards,
Attila

[Edited at 2010-04-12 19:51 GMT]

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
KudoZ points improve directory ranking Apr 12, 2010

Hello Mireille,

KudoZ points help site users and members with directory ranking. Those with an important number of KudoZ points in a given language pair and field will show first in the directory of translators for that pair and field.

Some clients use KudoZ points to flag translators for further qualification. The logic is that if an outsourcer requires the services of a translator with understanding of medicine, a person who has earned 300 points from medical question
... See more
Hello Mireille,

KudoZ points help site users and members with directory ranking. Those with an important number of KudoZ points in a given language pair and field will show first in the directory of translators for that pair and field.

Some clients use KudoZ points to flag translators for further qualification. The logic is that if an outsourcer requires the services of a translator with understanding of medicine, a person who has earned 300 points from medical questions may be a good place to start looking.

Now, regarding the message you specify, as Attila states, encouraging an asker to choose one's own suggested translation violates KudoZ rules. You are welcomed to submit a support request regarding this message so that support staff can take appropriate action.

Hope this clarifies.

Kind regards,

Lucia
Collapse

mireille aboumrad
mireille aboumrad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:05
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 12, 2010

Thank you, I will make sure to do that.
Regards,
Mireille

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are kudoz for/why did I get this email asking for points?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »