Klementina Shahini
United States
Local time: 17:46
Member (2009)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Mar 29, 2010

Dear Colleagues,

We can all assume that our first response to not knowing the meaning of the word or phrase is refer to a dictionary. Considering the multitude of dictionaries available in English-Albanian, I personally refer to as many dictionaries that are available to me. Currently, some of the dictionaries I have references have been published by seasoned translators and reviews by groups of professionals in linguistics which deem the dictionaries as reliable resources.
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

We can all assume that our first response to not knowing the meaning of the word or phrase is refer to a dictionary. Considering the multitude of dictionaries available in English-Albanian, I personally refer to as many dictionaries that are available to me. Currently, some of the dictionaries I have references have been published by seasoned translators and reviews by groups of professionals in linguistics which deem the dictionaries as reliable resources.

This is in response to the recent disagreements on some of my kudoZ translations based on these dictionaries under the argument that these dictionaries need to be updated.

Any ideas, suggestions, or comments?

Respectfully,

Klemi
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:46
Russian to English
+ ...
impossible to answer without knowing the language Mar 29, 2010

Klemi wrote:

This is in response to the recent disagreements on some of my kudoZ translations based on these dictionaries under the argument that these dictionaries need to be updated.

Dear Klemi,
This question cannot be answered abstractly. Those in your language pair are the only ones who could say anything intelligent about it. Dictionaries are useful, of course, but they do not cover every situation, every nuance of linguistic usage, BY ANY MEANS.

Susan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dictionaries??

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »