Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Translation Survey: Translators, tell us about your process of doing translations
Thread poster: Riddhima
Denise Baldry
Denise Baldry
Local time: 19:26
French to English
+ ...
translation survey Jun 19, 2009

I did manage to complete this survey to the end. But mainly by clicking on a nearish box and them complaining a lot in the "other" section. It is so predictably by a "meeja" person, that of all the options of types of translation work, there was not one single "serious" subject offered. Now, I like some stuff in the entertainment media, and business is business - but there's no mention of science, arts, technology, engineeering, research... It's fluff. And I can't help thinking about that bit i... See more
I did manage to complete this survey to the end. But mainly by clicking on a nearish box and them complaining a lot in the "other" section. It is so predictably by a "meeja" person, that of all the options of types of translation work, there was not one single "serious" subject offered. Now, I like some stuff in the entertainment media, and business is business - but there's no mention of science, arts, technology, engineeering, research... It's fluff. And I can't help thinking about that bit in the Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy - when the planet off-loaded all the hairdressers and telephone sanitation operatives and meeja folk ...
Sorry to be rude, Riddhima, but I take my work as a translator seriously - as I firmly believe it should be - and there is a lot more to it than you suggest in your survey. And translation is also fun and enlightening and a way of finding more out about the world. One's "process" of doing translations should consist of an abilty to comprehend what is being said, and then render it in the most compatible way possible into one's first language. End of story, as far as I'm concerned. Though it takes a little learning...
Collapse

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:26
English to German
+ ...
Redesign the survey! Jun 19, 2009

Denise Baldry wrote:

I did manage to complete this survey to the end. But mainly by clicking on a nearish box and them complaining a lot in the "other" section. It is so predictably by a "meeja" person, that of all the options of types of translation work, there was not one single "serious" subject offered. Now, I like some stuff in the entertainment media, and business is business - but there's no mention of science, arts, technology, engineeering, research... It's fluff. And I can't help thinking about that bit in the Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy - when the planet off-loaded all the hairdressers and telephone sanitation operatives and meeja folk ...
Sorry to be rude, Riddhima, but I take my work as a translator seriously - as I firmly believe it should be - and there is a lot more to it than you suggest in your survey. And translation is also fun and enlightening and a way of finding more out about the world. One's "process" of doing translations should consist of an abilty to comprehend what is being said, and then render it in the most compatible way possible into one's first language. End of story, as far as I'm concerned. Though it takes a little learning...

That was my impression, too. When I completed the survey (only 5 general questions) yesterday, I thought "Is that all?".

Sorry to be rude, Riddhima, but the survey should be redesigned to reflect what quality translation is really about: a very demanding and challenging profession!

Rod Walters
Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 03:26
Japanese to English
Odd categories Jun 19, 2009

When I clicked through it, I was surprised at some of the categories, for example for 'recording' my translation. Word and Trados are given as options. These are different categories of tools.

If you're going to be making something for translators, and asking them for input, you should have a passing knowledge of the basics first.

(As an aside, I'm impressed once again how few people bother to read others' postings so as to discover their meaning. I believe I indicated
... See more
When I clicked through it, I was surprised at some of the categories, for example for 'recording' my translation. Word and Trados are given as options. These are different categories of tools.

If you're going to be making something for translators, and asking them for input, you should have a passing knowledge of the basics first.

(As an aside, I'm impressed once again how few people bother to read others' postings so as to discover their meaning. I believe I indicated reasonably clearly what the procedural problem with the poll was:
I tried to answer the second question by typing an appropriate reply, but the form required me to tick an answer, none of which were relevant.

and still a whole slew of people repeatedly referred me to my browser. Reading posts for meaning - a demanding and challenging activity!)
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Survey: Translators, tell us about your process of doing translations

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »