Deja Vu Problem: Translation completed, but only 1/2 project is exported
Thread poster: Jo-Hanna Goettsche
Jo-Hanna Goettsche
Jo-Hanna Goettsche  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:27
English to Spanish
Mar 5, 2005

So, yesterday, I finished a translation project in Deja Vu (Standard): a 65-page document. I export, and.. the result is a 23-page document. I tried the same thing several times with the same results. What the heck?

Has that happened to anyone? Any idea how to prevent it?

Thanks. Tomorrow I am going back to work, see if I can salvage something.

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:27
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Check for wrong codes Mar 5, 2005

Jo-Hanna Goettsche wrote:
What the heck?

Typically, this happens with Word files if codes are in the wrong order. Use Translation->Check Embedded Codes to search and correct wrong codes. If you find anything like This is {123}a wrong{122} code order change it to This is {122}a wrong{123} code order.

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 07:27
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Have you compared the initial file with the output? Mar 5, 2005

What was the format of the file you were working with? I think Klaus' suggestion is very probable: just check for the embedded codes. If these were Word files, compare it and find the point where `the glitch' starts, first of all.

Kathinka van de Griendt
Kathinka van de Griendt  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:27
German to English
+ ...
Images/Graphics Mar 5, 2005

Sometimes Deja Vu can't handle detailed graphics in Word. If you delete them in the original document and then re-import them once you've finished translating, export should work well. It's happened to me a couple of times. Good luck

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 07:27
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Images Mar 5, 2005

Kathinka Lavelle wrote:
Sometimes Deja Vu can't handle detailed graphics in Word.

Very true, I faced the problem once. I had to delete an image from the source file, and then, after finishing my translation, to insert it manually.

Jo-Hanna Goettsche
Jo-Hanna Goettsche  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:27
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all your suggestions... Mar 6, 2005

Thanks to those of you for your suggestions. I checked the embedded codes and fixed where necessary, and lo and behold, after exporting (and renaming the file, go figure), I end up with a proper document of 69 pages! Yay!

Of course, I am going over the document with a fine-toothed comb, to verify it looks the way it is supposed to. But I am very very very happy now

[Edited at 2005-03-06 21:08]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Deja Vu Problem: Translation completed, but only 1/2 project is exported

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »