Any way putting numbers in brackets (1) (2) into codes?
Thread poster: Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:41
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Oct 29, 2013

Dear colleagues,

as a translator of technical subjects (like the most of you, I suppose) I am often confronted with paragraphs describing components which can be referred to in drawings, i.e.

"Monteer aan de eerste of laatste wandhouder (22) de nylonband (13) met behulp van een lus en 2 gespen (26)."

Because I already suffer of tendinitis I am looking for a way how DV could convert all the number in brackets into codes. Unfortunately I cannot put them into
... See more
Dear colleagues,

as a translator of technical subjects (like the most of you, I suppose) I am often confronted with paragraphs describing components which can be referred to in drawings, i.e.

"Monteer aan de eerste of laatste wandhouder (22) de nylonband (13) met behulp van een lus en 2 gespen (26)."

Because I already suffer of tendinitis I am looking for a way how DV could convert all the number in brackets into codes. Unfortunately I cannot put them into the termbank, as an alternative.
Any suggestions? Thanks!

Best regards,

Matthias
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Prreprocessing... Oct 30, 2013

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Because I already suffer of tendinitis I am looking for a way how DV could convert all the number in brackets into codes.

You can preprocess your files in Trados Workbench + Word (or Wordfast Classic) and use S&R in order to tag (1)-like strings as tw4winInternal.
Of course, it works only for Word documents...

Unfortunately I cannot put them into the termbank, as an alternative.

The numerals will not work in the TB.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2013-10-30 02:03 GMT]

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Or, assuming Word files... Oct 30, 2013

...do a wildcard S&R, to set (1), (20), etc. to hidden text:

Search:
\([0-9]@\)
Replace:
leave blank
Format/Character: check "Hidden"
Wildcards on

Import into DV checking "Ignore hidden text"
(1), (20), etc. will then appear as codes in the source

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your suggestions... Nov 1, 2013

...but I mostly process xliff-type files in DV, so your ideas won´t work for me.

Best regards,

Matthias

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In that case, ... Nov 1, 2013

... I don't think there's a solution, other than pre-processing in SDL Studio.

I was going to suggest that a better solution, for docx files, would be to use the "Ignore Regex matches" option in the input filter (Properties):

Enter:

\([0-9]+\)

in the space to the right of "Ignore Regex matches" and numbers between parentheses will appear as codes. You can save this option in the filter.

I think you can also do this in SDL Studio.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any way putting numbers in brackets (1) (2) into codes?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »