Thread poster: transfromvic
FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:28
English to Hungarian
+ ...
what's in the TM Aug 6, 2012

transfromvic wrote:
I do not use CAT-tools because I think that glossaries in the translation memory may be out of date or not exhaustive, and they do not reflect all the changes that, possibly, have been recently made to the standards, laws and other official reference documents.

The idea I'm trying to convey is that you put the material the translation memory. If you have found the relevant version of a document (law, standard, previous version of the document you're translating) in the two languages you need, you can align them and put them in a TM. When you need to look up a term, your CAT will give you a list of all the sentence pairs it occurs in at the click of a button. Instead of going back and forth between document A and document B and scrolling all over the place to find the occurrences of your term and the corresponding sentences in the other language, you get a full list right away.

transfromvic
transfromvic
Local time: 16:28
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reflections on CAT-tools Aug 6, 2012

Dear Meta Arkadia and FarkasAndras,

I absolutely agree with you!
I just mean there might be some changes made to the official reference documents since you last updated your TM. My idea is that it should be the company’s responsibility to create and maintain a knowledge base containing all the terms and definitions and reference documents in two languages, and provide access to the translator to such a knowledge base that can be linked to a CAT-tool and TM when a translation
... See more
Dear Meta Arkadia and FarkasAndras,

I absolutely agree with you!
I just mean there might be some changes made to the official reference documents since you last updated your TM. My idea is that it should be the company’s responsibility to create and maintain a knowledge base containing all the terms and definitions and reference documents in two languages, and provide access to the translator to such a knowledge base that can be linked to a CAT-tool and TM when a translation is needed!
How do you like this idea?
Thanks for sharing your opinion with me.

Best regards,

Victoria Cravcenco
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:28
English to Hungarian
+ ...
not likely Aug 6, 2012

transfromvic wrote:

I just mean there might be some changes made to the official reference documents since you last updated your TM. My idea is that it should be the company’s responsibility to create and maintain a knowledge base containing all the terms and definitions and reference documents in two languages, and provide access to the translator to such a knowledge base that can be linked to a CAT-tool and TM when a translation is needed!

Sometimes a translation agency will do that for you, but generally, don't expect other people to prep reference documents/terminology for you. You're lucky if you can get them to actually hand this stuff over when you ask for it, let alone convert it to a format you can handle more easeily.

transfromvic
transfromvic
Local time: 16:28
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 15, 2012

Thanks a lot!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alignment in CAT-tools

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »