Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
MySQL Nov 11, 2021

German Dutch Engineering Translation wrote:

CafeTran Espresso:

Import took 1.17 h. So the results here are similar.

Update: It took 10 min. 50 sec. to import those 1899401 TMX units into CafeTran on an MacBook Air M1. Quite impressive!

On my MacBook Pro, I installed the driver for MySQL. Now import took 44 minutes. Still much longer than on the M1, but some improvement.

Retrieval is very fast.

[Edited at 2021-11-11 20:57 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Video on performance of WFP and CTE with big TMs Nov 12, 2021

In this video I’ll be comparing the two CAT tools Wordfast Pro and CafeTran Espresso regarding their performance with big translation memories.

For this comparison I have downloaded a TMX file with nearly two million translation units from the OPUS website.

You can download the translation memory here: https://tinyurl.com/wfp-cte

The specifications of the TMX file:
... See more
In this video I’ll be comparing the two CAT tools Wordfast Pro and CafeTran Espresso regarding their performance with big translation memories.

For this comparison I have downloaded a TMX file with nearly two million translation units from the OPUS website.

You can download the translation memory here: https://tinyurl.com/wfp-cte

The specifications of the TMX file:

- 837 MB
- 7597610 lines
- 1899401 TUs

You can watch the video here: https://youtu.be/BxQdDxpX7bU

Tech info:

- I've configured CafeTran Espresso to use the connector for MySQL.
- I've set the Total Recall options to: Recall in context = 500 and Matching type: Fuzzy.

Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 09.21.08
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Dark Theme Nov 15, 2021

German Dutch Engineering Translation wrote:

CafeTran Espresso offers a Dark mode:

Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 10.33.21

WFP doesn't support Dark mode:

Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 10.35.39

At https://www.texteditor.pro/support/faq/ I read this statement about why someone prefers a dark theme:

WHY THE DEFAULT THEME IS DARK?

I am a professional software engineer and I spend 8-16 hours in front of the screen every day. I used to suffer from huge headaches but when I started using dark themes in everything, the trouble completely disappeared. I have my own cow in the ditch here but I feel so relieved that for that reason the default theme is dark.

I understand well (there are quite many options) that everyone has their own preferences. Changing the skin and editor theme is simple. See Tools > Options > Editor > Defaults > Color theme and Tools > Options > Skin.

Jeff Chapman

Jeff Chapman
Jeff Chapman  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 11:19
Japanese to English
+ ...
Now doing my first project on CafeTran Espresso Nov 15, 2021

I'm translating a few Word documents for the first time on CafeTran Espresso, macOS 11.6.1, after having used Wordfast on the same Mac system for years.

First impressions:

- The UI is a bit unsightly and not as nice to look at as WF, but it's amazing how much you can customize the fonts, text sizes and colors.
- The online help is kind of hit-or-miss. I find that it skips over a lot of details I'd like to see, even though it gives a reasonable overview of most fea
... See more
I'm translating a few Word documents for the first time on CafeTran Espresso, macOS 11.6.1, after having used Wordfast on the same Mac system for years.

First impressions:

- The UI is a bit unsightly and not as nice to look at as WF, but it's amazing how much you can customize the fonts, text sizes and colors.
- The online help is kind of hit-or-miss. I find that it skips over a lot of details I'd like to see, even though it gives a reasonable overview of most features.
- The Matchboard feature is something I've never seen before, and it's interesting how CafeTran auto-assembles your translation based on TM and glossary matches. It's kind of a new way of looking at translation, one that WF doesn't offer yet.
- It's amazing how you can just peel and undock just about every pane and window off in the UI on CafeTran... but I found that the segments grid is kind of unstable when you're using dual displays (it sometimes takes several clicks, or a Command+click to activate the segment, and it often doesn't respond well in this scenario).
- The tag handling seems good (type the tag number and then Esc to "embed" the tag into the translation), but CafeTran seems to add a lot of unnecessary tags with one of the Word documents I'm doing (maybe it's converting tabs to tags or something like that).
- The CafeTran app icon is... well... umm... 😛
- Glossaries are flexible, using basic text files.
- I still don't comprehend how multi-document projects are being handled in CafeTran... once you open your project from the "home page," I can't figure out how to get back there to work on your second document, or how to access the second document at all (meaning, how to escape from Editor view).

Anyway, I liked CafeTran enough to purchase a license, and try it out on this project
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Giving CafeTran Espresso a Mac look Nov 16, 2021

Jeff Chapman wrote:

Indeed. You can make CafeTran Espresso look more like a native Mac app:

- It's amazing how you can just peel and undock just about every pane and window off in the UI on CafeTran... but I found that the segments grid is kind of unstable when you're using dual displays (it sometimes takes several clicks, or a Command+click to activate the segment, and it often doesn't respond well in this scenario).

Are you referring to clicking on the blue segment number at the right hand of the target segments? I find that procedure difficult too. In the old days, if I remember correctly, the whole frame with the number could be clicked.

You can also type the segment number in the Quick search bar and hit Enter.

- The tag handling seems good (type the tag number and then Esc to "embed" the tag into the translation), but CafeTran seems to add a lot of unnecessary tags with one of the Word documents I'm doing (maybe it's converting tabs to tags or something like that).

I have quite the opposite impression: less tags than other CAT tools (better filter, tag grouping). Did you already try the Ms Word OCR filter?

- Glossaries are flexible, using basic text files.

True. And they can be as huge as you want.

- I still don't comprehend how multi-document projects are being handled in CafeTran... once you open your project from the "home page," I can't figure out how to get back there to work on your second document, or how to access the second document at all (meaning, how to escape from Editor view).

Project > Documents:

From the dialogue box, select the document that you want to edit:

[Edited at 2021-11-16 09:46 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Any other items to compare? Dec 1, 2021

Just noticed that my trial of WFP is valid for another 8 days. So if you have any other items that you want to have compared, just let me know.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CafeTran Espresso 10.9.1 versus Wordfast Pro 6.5.0

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »