Trans_DE-FR
Trans_DE-FR
Germany
Local time: 12:57
German to English
+ ...
Sep 22, 2011

Hi all,

I have a problem that has bugged me for a while, but since I rarely use Across it hasn't become acute until now.

This is the problem:

1) The concordance search basically only seems to work if I use it in the source text column.
If I copy the source text to the edit window to overwrite it, and try to run the concordance search in the edit window while I am typing, it doesn't work. I don't find this exactly convenient.

2) If I copy
... See more
Hi all,

I have a problem that has bugged me for a while, but since I rarely use Across it hasn't become acute until now.

This is the problem:

1) The concordance search basically only seems to work if I use it in the source text column.
If I copy the source text to the edit window to overwrite it, and try to run the concordance search in the edit window while I am typing, it doesn't work. I don't find this exactly convenient.

2) If I copy the source text to the edit window to overwrite it, and then simply click in another segment (without using any keyboard shortcut), the segment I was previously working in is automatically set to "touched" (that's across-speak for "edited") and automatically added to the crosstank. The result of this is that
a) an incomplete translation is automatically added to the crosstank - not good.
b) the concordance search (which only ever works in the source-text column anyway!) now only finds the incomplete translation that has just been inadvertently added to the crosstank, and doesn't find any hits that were previously displayed.

Has anyone else had these problems?
Are there some settings that I need to change to fix this?
Or is this normal system behaviour (?)

Feedback much appreciated.

Regards,

Maria

[Edited at 2011-09-23 07:16 GMT]
Collapse

Åsa Campbell
Åsa Campbell  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 20:27
English to Swedish
Normal behaviour Sep 23, 2011

Hi,

This is the normal funcionality of Across as far as I know.

If you highlight text in the source column the concordance search will search in the source language, if you highlight text in the target, it will search in the reverse language i.e. target>source.

The incomplete entry in crosstank will be updated when you go back and finish that paragraph.

I agree that this is not ideal but I don't think there is a way around it in the current ve
... See more
Hi,

This is the normal funcionality of Across as far as I know.

If you highlight text in the source column the concordance search will search in the source language, if you highlight text in the target, it will search in the reverse language i.e. target>source.

The incomplete entry in crosstank will be updated when you go back and finish that paragraph.

I agree that this is not ideal but I don't think there is a way around it in the current version of Across.

Regards.
Asa
Collapse

Trans_DE-FR
Trans_DE-FR
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Sep 23, 2011

Hi Åsa,

thanks for your feedback. I guess I will have to live with the concordance search as it is then

Regards,

Maria

AAV
AAV
Local time: 17:57
Settings problem Sep 26, 2011

Actually it works, but in suppose that Target Editor (= "Edit window") is intended for translated text, Across searches text on Target language, and not one the source one.

2) If I copy the source text to the edit window to overwrite it, and then simply click in another segment (without using any keyboard shortcut), the segment I was previously working in is automatically set to "touched" (that's across-speak for "edited") and automatically added to the crosstank.

This can be configured. Please check the following: Tools -> Profile settings -> crossTank / Storing -> [x] Store only at target state. Is this checkbox marked? If no, please mark it and try again.

bungholio
bungholio
German to English
Poor functionality Sep 27, 2011

This should be changed immediately. Whenever you pull in a unit, chances are you are only editing part of it, leaving things like names, product names, etc. alone. Either way, what is the probability of searching for something in the target language, which you already know. I bet 90% of all concordance searches are done for the source language. Trados at least gives you a hotkey choice of using concordance with the Target or the Source language. Across should as well.

Right now, my
... See more
This should be changed immediately. Whenever you pull in a unit, chances are you are only editing part of it, leaving things like names, product names, etc. alone. Either way, what is the probability of searching for something in the target language, which you already know. I bet 90% of all concordance searches are done for the source language. Trados at least gives you a hotkey choice of using concordance with the Target or the Source language. Across should as well.

Right now, my company is deciding on whether to choose Trados or Across for their enterprise translation needs. As a translator here, this is a make-or-break function. Concordance is a function we use a LOT, and if we have to move the mouse, select the language then run a search EVERY TIME we want to look up a word, Across has big problems. Especially when you're used to a single Alt-Up arrow key solution in Trados. Keeping the flow and avoiding the mouse is key for any experienced translator. Across should be aware of this. I put in a support request and will post the results here.

I'm hoping they've corrected this in the latest patches (Have 5.0 SP1_b and can't upgrade since my company doesn't like granting FTP access).
Collapse

Trans_DE-FR
Trans_DE-FR
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
answer from across support Oct 2, 2011

Hello all,

thanks again for your responses. I have the latest patch, so the concordance issue has not yet been rectified.

This was the response I received from Across Support (in German):

---
Die Konkordanzsuche erfolgt aufgrund markierter Wörter im Target oder Source Editor.
Standardmäßig ist dabei die Sprachrichtung von Ausgangs- in Zielsprache ausgewählt. Das kann aber über die Fähnchen bzw. ALT+L umgekehrt werden.
---

... See more
Hello all,

thanks again for your responses. I have the latest patch, so the concordance issue has not yet been rectified.

This was the response I received from Across Support (in German):

---
Die Konkordanzsuche erfolgt aufgrund markierter Wörter im Target oder Source Editor.
Standardmäßig ist dabei die Sprachrichtung von Ausgangs- in Zielsprache ausgewählt. Das kann aber über die Fähnchen bzw. ALT+L umgekehrt werden.
---

They say that the standard search is Source -> Target, both in the target and source windows, but that this can be switched using ALT+L, or using the flag icons shown in the Search Center panel.

I have tried this and it doesn't seem to work properly though. The flags do switch, but the search from the target window still doesn't bring up any result, even when I try terms that are 100% in the crosstank.

Maybe one of you will have more luck with this?

Thanks and regards,

Maria
Collapse

Tntranslations
Tntranslations
Local time: 13:57
Hotkey script for concordance search Aug 10, 2012

I just started using Across, and the lack of proper concordance searching really slowed me down, so I made an AutoHotkey script to speed things up. This script automatically copies the highlighted text in the Edit window, clicks the Concordance tab, inputs the copied text into the concordance search input box, presses Enter and moves the cursor back into the Edit window. It requires two setup steps to find the position of the Concordance button and the input box. You'll see setup instructions wh... See more
I just started using Across, and the lack of proper concordance searching really slowed me down, so I made an AutoHotkey script to speed things up. This script automatically copies the highlighted text in the Edit window, clicks the Concordance tab, inputs the copied text into the concordance search input box, presses Enter and moves the cursor back into the Edit window. It requires two setup steps to find the position of the Concordance button and the input box. You'll see setup instructions when you run the script.

You need to download Autohotkey from http://www.autohotkey.com/download/ to be able to run the script. Copy the script from below, paste it to an empty text file and change the file's extension from .txt to .ahk. Then just click the script file's icon to run it.

#NoEnv ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
SendMode Input ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir% ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.
SetTitleMatchMode, 2

;Concordance search hotkey script for Across crossDesk, by Tommi Nieminen

IfWinNotExist,crossDesk
{
MsgBox crossDesk window needs to be open for this script to work. Open crossDesk and run the script again.
ExitApp
}

WinActivate crossDesk
MsgBox This script requires that the crossSearch, Concordance and Fuzzy tabs of the Search Center are on top of each other. If that's not the case, drag the upper edge of Search Center upwards until the tabs are lined up vertically. The input field of the Concordance tab also has to be visible. If it's not visible, widen the Search Center until you see the input field. When the tabs are lined up and the input field is visible, close this box.

WinActivate crossDesk
MsgBox Next we need to record the position of the Concordance tab button. Close this box and click the Concordance tab button.
WinActivate crossDesk
KeyWait,LButton,D
MouseGetPos,concordanceButtonX,concordanceButtonY

WinActivate crossDesk
MsgBox Now we need the position of the input box (where the term to be search is entered) in the Concordance tab. Close this box and click the input box.
WinActivate crossDesk
KeyWait,LButton,D
MouseGetPos,inputBoxX,inputBoxY

MsgBox The concordance search hotkey should now work. Test it out by selecting text in the edit window and pressing Ctrl + Up arrow.

^UP::
ClipSaved := ClipboardAll
textInsertionPointX = %A_CaretX%
textInsertionPointY = %A_CaretY%
Send ^c

Send {Click %concordanceButtonX%, %concordanceButtonY%}

Send {Click %inputBoxX%, %inputBoxY%}

Send ^v

Send {Enter}

Send {Click %textInsertionPointX%, %textInsertionPointY%}
Sleep 500
Clipboard := ClipSaved
ClipSaved =
return
Collapse

Trans_DE-FR
Trans_DE-FR
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for the tip! Sep 9, 2012

I haven't had time to try this out yet, it looks like a great solution though - thank you!:-)

[Edited at 2012-09-09 08:13 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Concordance doesn't work properly?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »