Natalia Rivera
Natalia Rivera
Mexico
Local time: 17:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 28, 2005

Hello everyone,
One of the translation agencies I work for just called and told me they will be receiving huge amounts of work in this format. Really, I have no idea and have never used anything similar.
My point is, once I get the software, will the tutorial be enough to learn how to use it?
Are there any training courses available (I am from Buenos Aires, Argentina).

Thank you all for your help.
Natalia

Prisma
Prisma
English to Swedish
+ ...
InDesign User Group Jan 28, 2005

Adobe offers a free 30-day trial download of InDesign for you to get acquainted with the software prior to purchase. There are also InDesign user groups that can answer your questions on the web. I have attached a link to one below, but Google on InDesign and I'm sure you will find expert advice.... See more
Adobe offers a free 30-day trial download of InDesign for you to get acquainted with the software prior to purchase. There are also InDesign user groups that can answer your questions on the web. I have attached a link to one below, but Google on InDesign and I'm sure you will find expert advice.

http://www.indesignusergroup.com/
http://www.adobe.com/products/indesign/main.html

Good Luck!
Collapse

Jaroslav Tomiczek
Jaroslav Tomiczek  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:01
English to Czech
no need Jan 28, 2005

There is no need to use InDesign for you. The agency sends you tagged RTF files, which you will translate in your CAT tool.
They then untag and import the text back into InDesign.
Forget about learning DTP, it is not so easy anyway.
Jaro

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:01
German to Spanish
yes, learning DTP it is not so easy Jan 28, 2005

Jaroslav Tomiczek wrote:

There is no need to use InDesign for you. The agency sends you tagged RTF files, which you will translate in your CAT tool.
They then untag and import the text back into InDesign.
Forget about learning DTP, it is not so easy anyway.
Jaro

InDesign files can be exported as XML files + DTD settings you can work with a CAT tool like Trados, DVX, etc.

Toledo
http://lengua.tk/

Natalia Rivera
Natalia Rivera
Mexico
Local time: 17:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much Jan 30, 2005

Thanks everyone for your input.
Actually, the agency told me I do need to have the software and work directly with it (If I want to be included in these projects, of course), so... I guess I'll have to learn!

Have a nice Sunday!

Natalia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help on how to use Adobe InDesign CS

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »