Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
What are "must-have" softwares for a beginner translator?
Thread poster: Cristina Mazzucchelli
Alessandro Cattelan (X)
Alessandro Cattelan (X)
Italy
Local time: 09:55
English to Italian
+ ...
again: OpenOffice.org Jun 29, 2005

Angela Dickson wrote:

Something I have found very useful indeed is a PDF creator - it means you can send documents such as invoices in a stable format that is readable by just about everyone. I also send my CV/profile as a PDF.

PDF995 (Google it) is the one I use - it's free as long as you don't mind looking at a little advert every time you use it.

If you want to create PDFs and you don't want to buy any prop software, OpenOffice.org is the solution.

It is free (as in beer and as in speech) and it allows you to create a pdf just by clicking on a button.

It's impressive and getting better everyday: by next autumn the new 2.0 version will be out and it will feature many new interesting functionalities.

[End of the advertisement]

Ale.

craigs
craigs
Local time: 03:55
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Amen Jun 30, 2005

Ditto on OpenOffice--I haven't had to worry about formats ever since I got it.

Alessandro Cattelan wrote:

Angela Dickson wrote:

Something I have found very useful indeed is a PDF creator - it means you can send documents such as invoices in a stable format that is readable by just about everyone. I also send my CV/profile as a PDF.

PDF995 (Google it) is the one I use - it's free as long as you don't mind looking at a little advert every time you use it.

If you want to create PDFs and you don't want to buy any prop software, OpenOffice.org is the solution.

It is free (as in beer and as in speech) and it allows you to create a pdf just by clicking on a button.

It's impressive and getting better everyday: by next autumn the new 2.0 version will be out and it will feature many new interesting functionalities.

[End of the advertisement]

Ale.

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:55
French to English
+ ...
OpenOffice Jul 5, 2005

craigs wrote:

I found the PDF creator before I discovered OpenOffice - I now have OpenOffice and find it useful, but I don't use it for everyday work as I like to use WordFast (though when I have time I intend to work out how to use OmegaT). When MS Word throws up one of its occasional horrible formatting problems, however, running the doc through OpenOffice and making changes there has, on occasion, sorted me out.

I am also aware that OOo is not 100% compatible with MS Word, and I am wary of causing problems to my clients. My view on this is open to change, however! (and I am aware of the issues between different Word versions, which can be worse than the OOo/Word divide, or so I'm told).

It does no harm to download OpenOffice, hard disk space permitting.

craigs
craigs
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Incompatibilities? Do tell. Jul 15, 2005

Angela Dickson wrote:

craigs wrote:

I found the PDF creator before I discovered OpenOffice - I now have OpenOffice and find it useful, but I don't use it for everyday work as I like to use WordFast (though when I have time I intend to work out how to use OmegaT). When MS Word throws up one of its occasional horrible formatting problems, however, running the doc through OpenOffice and making changes there has, on occasion, sorted me out.

I am also aware that OOo is not 100% compatible with MS Word, and I am wary of causing problems to my clients. My view on this is open to change, however! (and I am aware of the issues between different Word versions, which can be worse than the OOo/Word divide, or so I'm told).

It does no harm to download OpenOffice, hard disk space permitting.

Thanks for the tip. For my simple projects it has worked so far. What incompatibilities have you encountered?

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
FlashPeak IntelliComplete Aug 31, 2005

Hello,

I just wanted to give you the URL to IntelliComplete, since it has been mentioned here before:

http://www.flashpeak.com/icomp

Also check out other FlashPeak stuff, like FlashText (great for translation), SlimBrowser (my favorite browser, it is the ONE I use when working), FtpSearch, SlimList and IntelliEdit. Besides IntelliComplete and FlashText, everything is
... See more
Hello,

I just wanted to give you the URL to IntelliComplete, since it has been mentioned here before:

http://www.flashpeak.com/icomp

Also check out other FlashPeak stuff, like FlashText (great for translation), SlimBrowser (my favorite browser, it is the ONE I use when working), FtpSearch, SlimList and IntelliEdit. Besides IntelliComplete and FlashText, everything is FREE! The others are shareware, but they are very affordable and you can try everything for 30 days, fully functional.

Go to this URL and check out these and other soft- and shareware: http://www.flashpeak.com

Please note that I am in no way affiliated with FlashPeak and am only informing you on what great free and close to free stuff I found that is of use to translators.

Check it out!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are "must-have" softwares for a beginner translator?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »