Which version of CAT packages suits my needs?
Thread poster: Mark Smith
Mark Smith
Mark Smith  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:08
German to English
+ ...
Jun 7, 2005

Hi all,

I'm currently writing an appraisal from the European Space Agency's Translation Service, which you may have been unlucky enough to hear about if you've been around the last few days

The question I have is: For a team of 12 in-house translators who are just going to be doing their own work (and so are not bothered about Project Management functionality), which is the best version of DVX, SDLX and T
... See more
Hi all,

I'm currently writing an appraisal from the European Space Agency's Translation Service, which you may have been unlucky enough to hear about if you've been around the last few days

The question I have is: For a team of 12 in-house translators who are just going to be doing their own work (and so are not bothered about Project Management functionality), which is the best version of DVX, SDLX and TRADOS to invest in?

Thanks in advance,
Mark Smith

P.S. Just to clarify, I'm not asking anyone to choose between the three different packages for me, just to say which version of each best suits the described target user group.

[Edited at 2005-06-07 21:12]
Collapse

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:08
German to English
+ ...
For DVX: the "Professional" version Jun 8, 2005

The "Standard" version is just an introductory toy without some of the most important features.

The "Workgroup" version may be relevant if you need some of the features (project management, more than two TMs/terminology databases, "guaranteed match" if you have repetitions that span several segments, etc.)

But for general purpose work for solo freelancers, "Professional" is the package to go for. Gives you all the project set-up and database management functions, no nee
... See more
The "Standard" version is just an introductory toy without some of the most important features.

The "Workgroup" version may be relevant if you need some of the features (project management, more than two TMs/terminology databases, "guaranteed match" if you have repetitions that span several segments, etc.)

But for general purpose work for solo freelancers, "Professional" is the package to go for. Gives you all the project set-up and database management functions, no need to pre-define what languages you want to work with, etc.

There's a comparison table of the versions somewhere on www.atril.com
Collapse

Mark Smith
Mark Smith  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:08
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Further question Jun 8, 2005

Further to my original question, as a group of in-house translators in what I suppose could be described as a corporation, will the CAT tool providers actually sell them anything less than the workgroup or suite versions with all the bells and whistles? They have no need for project management, but centralised, shareable terminology and memory functions are rather important.

Thanks,
Mark

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:08
German to English
+ ...
DVX workgroup may even be a better deal Jun 9, 2005

On the price list, the Workgroup edition is far more expensive than the Professional version. But the professional version is for one computer only, and I think the Workgroup covers both a server and a client (so it covers two computers for starters). If the company you are advising wants to get a number of licences, it may be a better deal to use the "server plus many clients" model rather than a whole bunch of standalone Professional licences.

For the specifics, you could poke aro
... See more
On the price list, the Workgroup edition is far more expensive than the Professional version. But the professional version is for one computer only, and I think the Workgroup covers both a server and a client (so it covers two computers for starters). If the company you are advising wants to get a number of licences, it may be a better deal to use the "server plus many clients" model rather than a whole bunch of standalone Professional licences.

For the specifics, you could poke around the www.atril.com website and perhaps contact the Atril sales people for a comparison of the different price/configuration options.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which version of CAT packages suits my needs?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »