Exchanging or Transferring WORDFAST Database Files via E-mail or Other Electronic Means
Thread poster: Terry Burgess
Terry Burgess
Terry Burgess  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 23, 2003

I'm somewhat ashamed to so openly admit I've only just begun using Wordfast...hence, I'm a total novice in the field. Though I downloaded the "Beta" version quite some time ago, my inherent laziness --plus a lack of translation work -- didn't exactly motivate me to try it out:-( ---until now!

3 days ago, a colleague here in Mexico City asked me to help him out with a sizeable and fairly urgent translation job. Knowing that we both had Wordfast [the same Beta version] and that he h
... See more
I'm somewhat ashamed to so openly admit I've only just begun using Wordfast...hence, I'm a total novice in the field. Though I downloaded the "Beta" version quite some time ago, my inherent laziness --plus a lack of translation work -- didn't exactly motivate me to try it out:-( ---until now!

3 days ago, a colleague here in Mexico City asked me to help him out with a sizeable and fairly urgent translation job. Knowing that we both had Wordfast [the same Beta version] and that he had already accumulated an extensive memory of the required terms in his Wordfast database, he e-mailed me his Wordfast "text memory" hoping it would speed things up and make "our" translation more uniform. The "text memory" attachment to his e-mail arrived in "Notebook" format. I first saved it in the folder with the files to be translated and I then added it to the Wordfast setup as the "Current Translation Memory"--with all the correct paths, etc.

Sadly to say, it didn't work. I was able to glean absolutely "diddly squat" from all his files and so -- after several frustrating hours of consultation, investigation, nail biting, nose-hair plucking, and 3 beers -- it was back to square one:-) ---which is precisely where I stand, as we speak [though obviously I'm plodding along with the job...albeit without CAT assistance!].

Is there, perchance, any genious out there willing and ABLE to help an old fogy with technological matters vastly beyond his ken??

Any and all help will be deeply appreciated and instead of "KudoZ Points" at ProZ, there will be "Guinness Pints" [at least 5]in Mexico City awaiting the colleague who manages to get me out of this bind:-)

Thanks in advance and kind regards to you all.
Terry
Collapse

Deborah Shannon
Deborah Shannon  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:01
German to English
Try "Reorganise" Aug 23, 2003

Terry Burgess wrote:
The "text memory" attachment to his e-mail arrived in "Notebook" format. I first saved it in the folder with the files to be translated and I then added it to the Wordfast setup as the "Current Translation Memory"--with all the correct paths, etc.

Sadly to say, it didn't work. I was able to glean absolutely "diddly squat" from all his files

Dear Terry,

One thing to try is Tools -> Service -> Reorganise. You'll notice Wordfast indexing the TM file. After that it should be able to bring up matches for you. You should also be able to access it with the Context Search button (or Ctrl+Alt+C).

Hope it works -

Deborah

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:01
German to English
+ ...
Try the Wordfast forum Aug 23, 2003

Terry,

Explain your problem to the Wordfast forum at
groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast

- they will almost certainly have a solution.

Marc

Terry Burgess
Terry Burgess  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many Thanks!! Aug 23, 2003

My sincere thanks to Deborah and Marc for your very valuable contributions. I'll try both options ASAP.

Wish me luck:-)
Terry

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exchanging or Transferring WORDFAST Database Files via E-mail or Other Electronic Means

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »