Passolo - pros and cons
Thread poster: cbcoti
cbcoti
cbcoti
Local time: 04:33
English to Danish
Apr 25, 2012

Dear all,

I am new in this community, so forgive me if I'm posting this questions in the wrong place.

I'm a technical writer, working with sofware. Strings are currently translated into 19 languages, using Passolo, help files into 13 languages using Forehelp 5 (our old help authoring tool).

We are going to use MadCap Flare as our new help authoring tool.

Our translators are not professional translators, but experts in the specific field, ou
... See more
Dear all,

I am new in this community, so forgive me if I'm posting this questions in the wrong place.

I'm a technical writer, working with sofware. Strings are currently translated into 19 languages, using Passolo, help files into 13 languages using Forehelp 5 (our old help authoring tool).

We are going to use MadCap Flare as our new help authoring tool.

Our translators are not professional translators, but experts in the specific field, our software is targeting. Thus, I will be the one picking the new translation tool.

The current decision is:

- continue using Passolo for strings
- implementing new tool for translating help files

Is this a good idea? Is it best to have two separate tools? And is Passolo the best tool for translating strings?

Pros and cons?
Collapse

Jody Parente
Jody Parente
Israel
Local time: 05:33
Passolo - Yes! Apr 26, 2012

Passolo is great for your string lists and software files!

You can manage the source project in a single location and then generate all translator bundles for all 19 languages at once. Likewise, you can generate all the target files together, too (not one-by-one).

I've worked on the localization of a bunch of different help authoring tools, but Flare hasn't been one of them. Assuming the file format you need to translate is standard, like HTML, XML, DITA, etc., then you
... See more
Passolo is great for your string lists and software files!

You can manage the source project in a single location and then generate all translator bundles for all 19 languages at once. Likewise, you can generate all the target files together, too (not one-by-one).

I've worked on the localization of a bunch of different help authoring tools, but Flare hasn't been one of them. Assuming the file format you need to translate is standard, like HTML, XML, DITA, etc., then you should be fine with the more popular tools like MemoQ and SDL Trados.

One consideration, though, is that you mention the translators are not professional translators, but very knowledgable about the software's field. That means that probably none of them own a CAT tool since yours is one of if not the only translation they work on. Will your company be providing them with a tool? (Expensive for 13 licenses...)

Hope that helps.
Collapse

cbcoti
cbcoti
Local time: 04:33
English to Danish
TOPIC STARTER
We already have Passolo Apr 27, 2012

Hi Jody,

Thanks a lot for your input.

We already have an enterprice license for Passolo, so translator's versions are free. The translators have already used Passolo for many years.

For the help files though, they have not been using a proper translation tool. Instead, they have translated using our old HAT (help authoring tool).

Since we are changing HAT, we need to pick a new tool for translating help files.

Our new HAT, Mad
... See more
Hi Jody,

Thanks a lot for your input.

We already have an enterprice license for Passolo, so translator's versions are free. The translators have already used Passolo for many years.

For the help files though, they have not been using a proper translation tool. Instead, they have translated using our old HAT (help authoring tool).

Since we are changing HAT, we need to pick a new tool for translating help files.

Our new HAT, MadCap Flare, can do export/import in a variety of formats, so I do not beleive we're limitid in that regard.

The question here are:
- is it a good idea to keep Passolo as our tool for translating strings?
- is Passolo still the best tool for translating strings?
- would it be best to have one tool for strings, another for help files?
- or is it better to find one tool for all?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Myron Netchypor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Passolo - pros and cons

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »