Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 16, 2003

Hi all,

I\'ve just intercepted two worms posing as Microsoft patches (MSO-Patch-0035.exe and Two-Up-Secretly.exe). It would be well to keep abreast of news about them:

http://www.antivirus-online.de/english/news030101.php

Luck!

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-16 23
... See more
Hi all,

I\'ve just intercepted two worms posing as Microsoft patches (MSO-Patch-0035.exe and Two-Up-Secretly.exe). It would be well to keep abreast of news about them:

http://www.antivirus-online.de/english/news030101.php

Luck!

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-16 23:47]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Worms/dialers posing as Windows system messages Jan 16, 2003

The latest craze hitting the desktop are pop-up windows which look almost identical to internal Windows alerts. And of course, these \"warnings\" tell of a security gap that\'s been discovered (the version where \"Jenny\" asks you to come back to the chat room is a somewhat more obvious one...).

Depending on the variation, what\'s hiding behind these messages is either a slew of websites (mostly of er, adult content - bad, but no damage), a dialer (can be costly) or a virus/
... See more
The latest craze hitting the desktop are pop-up windows which look almost identical to internal Windows alerts. And of course, these \"warnings\" tell of a security gap that\'s been discovered (the version where \"Jenny\" asks you to come back to the chat room is a somewhat more obvious one...).

Depending on the variation, what\'s hiding behind these messages is either a slew of websites (mostly of er, adult content - bad, but no damage), a dialer (can be costly) or a virus/worm. The only thing to do is to close these buggers, using the \'x\' in the upper right-hand corner; don\'t use the \'OK\' button.

What gives these warnings away is usually the TLD in the indicated domain - the most recent one I had showed an alleged Microsoft site ending with .ag - ever heard of Microsoft Tech Support in Antigua?
Collapse

Uwe Kirmse
Uwe Kirmse  Identity Verified
Polish to German
+ ...
upper right x Jan 17, 2003

I\'ve already had such \"alerts\" without any \"x\". In this case you can guess, if it\'s better to click \"yes\" or \"no\" - perhaps both will start the download of the dialer or the virus. Your safety options shouldn\'t allow any automatic download, so you should always be able do cancel it. If you aren\'t sure, what to do, first disconnect the internet, and then do whatever you want, eg. close all browser windows by \"Ctrl+Alt+Del\".

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-17 12:22]

Silvina Beatriz Codina
Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 20:26
English to Spanish
Thanks! Jan 17, 2003

Haven\'t got any of these yet, but I\'ll be on the lookout for them.

It would be nice if these people used all that ingenuity for something positive...

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:26
German to English
+ ...
Can they be blocked Jan 24, 2003

by software such as ZoneAlarm Pro that can block pop-ups or will they show up on Norton AntiVirus? I have ZoneAlarm Pro set to block pop-ups, but they show up at times anyway.

Guenther Danzer
Guenther Danzer  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
If there is no upper right 'x'.. Jan 29, 2003

an easy way to close this window (even when it fills your whole screen) is:

1. make it the aktive window using ctrl + tab

2. when it the active one press alt + F4

and it\' gone.

You don\'t need ctrl+alt+del or the reset button.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Virus News

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »