Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Recent viruses in emails - some form of bugbear? (Community: 'Yes')
Thread poster: Rishi Miranhshah
Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:32
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Here's another virus Jun 17, 2003

I received this from a friend the other day, but I can't myself be sure how reliable the information is.

Please Be Extremely Careful Especially if using Internet mail such as
Yahoo, Hotmail and so on. This information arrived this morning from
Microsoft and Norton. Please send it to everybody you know who accesses
the Internet. You may receive an apparently harmless email with a Power
Point presentation "Life is beautiful. pps." If you receive it DO NOT... See more
I received this from a friend the other day, but I can't myself be sure how reliable the information is.

Please Be Extremely Careful Especially if using Internet mail such as
Yahoo, Hotmail and so on. This information arrived this morning from
Microsoft and Norton. Please send it to everybody you know who accesses
the Internet. You may receive an apparently harmless email with a Power
Point presentation "Life is beautiful. pps." If you receive it DO NOT
OPEN THE FILE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, and delete it immediately.

If you open this file, a message will appear on your screen saying: "It
is too late now, your life is no longer beautiful", subsequently you
will LOSE EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC and the person who sent it to you will
gain access to your name, e-mail and password. This is a new virus which
started to circulate on Saturday afternoon.
WE NEED TO DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO STOP THIS VIRUS. AOL has already
confirmed the severity, and the antivirus Softs are not capable of
destroying it.
The virus has been created by a hacker who calls himself "life owner."

Incidentally, would it not be a good idea either to have a separate forum for viruses, or for ProZ to maintain a list of viruses reported by members?
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:32
English to German
+ ...
Here's another hoax... Jun 17, 2003

Sorry, Jack...

...not realiable at all; in fact, it's a hoax, as reported by Symantec...

Incidentally, would it not be a good idea either to have a separate forum for viruses, or for ProZ to maintain a list of viruses reported by members?

I'm sceptical - the vast majority of virus "reports" I've seen on this site were either hoaxes, or were spreading false information ("I received a Bugbear virus through the ProZ server").

If you need information about viruses, worms or hoaxes, visit the Symantec or McAfee sites.

Best regards, Ralf

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:32
German to English
+ ...
Suggestions Jun 17, 2003

1) Is it really the case that the common Windows e-mail programs MUST automatically execute e-mail attachments? If this feature can be disabled, would someone PLEASE, PLEASE, write up the procedure and post it with the other HowTos for future reference! (I am sure that Henry will be more than happy to allow such a procedure to be posted. As far as I know, he is not selling antivirus software )

2) If this feature CANNOT
... See more
1) Is it really the case that the common Windows e-mail programs MUST automatically execute e-mail attachments? If this feature can be disabled, would someone PLEASE, PLEASE, write up the procedure and post it with the other HowTos for future reference! (I am sure that Henry will be more than happy to allow such a procedure to be posted. As far as I know, he is not selling antivirus software )

2) If this feature CANNOT be disabled in certain programs, would someone PLEASE name the programs concerned, so that anyone with an ounce of intelligence can uninstall them from their computers and replace them with a proper e-mail client program?

3) Assuming an e-mail attachment is not opened automatically, is it really necessary to click on it to open it? Let me put it another way: if you came home and found a red ball on your doorstep, would you suck it to see what it tasted like? Is it not possible to select the application with which YOU wish to open the attachment? If so, see 1)! If not, see 2)!

4) If you received a letter (the old-fashioned kind, you know, paper, in an envelope) from a stranger warning you of letter-bombs in green packages, and telling you to copy the message warning of letter-bombs in green packages and send it off STRAIGHT AWAY to fifty people you know so that, should they receive a green package, they will live to tell the tale, would you reach straightaway for pen and paper? No? Then why...

5) If you received a letter (the old-fashioned kind, you know, paper, in an envelope) from a stranger telling you that someone had booby-trapped your car, and the booby-trap was a blue cylinder five inches wide sitting on the engine, and you needed to remove it with a hammer, would you fetch a hammer and go hunting under the hood of your '98 Ford for blue cylinders? No? So, when someone tells you that xyz.exe in the bowels of your file system is a virus, and you'd better remove it fast, do you go hunting for that file with one finger poised over the "DEL" key?

Excuse the sarcasm, folks: I hope no one is offended, but it really is high time to put an end to all this nonsense.

Marc

[Edited at 2003-06-18 04:12]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recent viruses in emails - some form of bugbear? (Community: 'Yes')

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »