Question about profile page
Thread poster: Consult Couture
Consult Couture
Consult Couture  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:11
Spanish to English
Aug 27, 2003

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question, but what "speciality" category can a translator use to describe documents like birth certificates, marriage certificates, etc? I don't feel comfortable calling myself a "legal" translator, although these are technically legal documents. I've seen other sites offering a heading like "notarized certificates", or something to that effect. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:11
Georgian to English
+ ...
You might consider (Eng version) Aug 27, 2003

"Certificates" (although this could be confused with cert.s for all sorts of other purposes than you mention, and even apply to import export, health medical or products, non of which you mean), or "Official documents" (similar problem). "Official personal documents..." ? Or if it's just births, & marriages, maybe it's best to say that explicitly "birth & marriage certs."
One area you might or might not be including depending on your knowledge is "educational certificates" or "academic tra
... See more
"Certificates" (although this could be confused with cert.s for all sorts of other purposes than you mention, and even apply to import export, health medical or products, non of which you mean), or "Official documents" (similar problem). "Official personal documents..." ? Or if it's just births, & marriages, maybe it's best to say that explicitly "birth & marriage certs."
One area you might or might not be including depending on your knowledge is "educational certificates" or "academic transcripts".
Whether notarizing, swearing or certifying (according to the different British and American definitions for example) come into it depends on what jurisdiction the work is being done for.
Best wishes
Giuli
PS I think you're quite right not to include them as legal translation

[Edited at 2003-09-01 14:51]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question about profile page

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »