Thread poster: Patricia Pita (X)
Patricia Pita (X)
Patricia Pita (X)
Local time: 10:16
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 12, 2003

Hello all,

My name is Patricia and I\'m new here at Proz. I just moved to the UK and I’m in the process of trying to get clients. I have sent hundreds of CVs, completed the never-ending on-line forms and to be quite honest I haven’t been lucky at all.

I state in my CV that I’m willing to take “short translation tests” and today I received my first. The text is part of a computer game manual and it has 1.100 words divided in three sections: game
... See more
Hello all,

My name is Patricia and I\'m new here at Proz. I just moved to the UK and I’m in the process of trying to get clients. I have sent hundreds of CVs, completed the never-ending on-line forms and to be quite honest I haven’t been lucky at all.

I state in my CV that I’m willing to take “short translation tests” and today I received my first. The text is part of a computer game manual and it has 1.100 words divided in three sections: game preview, tech. specs and an entire page of instructions.

Do you think this test is too long or is the company trying to determine the quality of the translation in different areas?

I would appreciate your input on this, since I’m a bit lost.

Thank you

Collapse

Maria Eugenia Farre
Maria Eugenia Farre  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:16
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Too long Mar 12, 2003

I think that the test is too long. Up to 200 words, fine, it\'s feasible. Also make sure it\'s a trustworthy agency because there are plenty of smart guys and ladies out there trying to get freebies in the guise of tests.

In addition to this, I think that you should read these two excellent articles on taking tests:

Test Translations: To do or not to do?... See more
I think that the test is too long. Up to 200 words, fine, it\'s feasible. Also make sure it\'s a trustworthy agency because there are plenty of smart guys and ladies out there trying to get freebies in the guise of tests.

In addition to this, I think that you should read these two excellent articles on taking tests:

Test Translations: To do or not to do?

http://www.accurapid.com/journal/16tests.htm

and

Test Translations-An Update

http://accurapid.com/journal/24tests.htm

Cheers

ME

Collapse

Patricia Pita (X)
Patricia Pita (X)
Local time: 10:16
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Maria Mar 12, 2003

The articles were great and they gave me a new perspective of the issue.

I have called the company and they told me it was a mistake and reduced the test to 300 words.

All\'s well when it ends well eh?

Cheers

Patrícia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I take the test?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »