Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: For how long do you typically need to take a break to regain concentration?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
Regain concentration? Jan 2, 2014

The concept of taking a break, whatever its length, to regain concentration implies that one has lost it (the concentration, not the mind) first, right?

To lose concentration on something would also imply that one gets distracted.

In this poll-induced thought exercise, let's say that I lose my concentration on translating a sentence, so I decide to take a 5-minute break. Then that means I have to focus on taking 5, not 10 or 30, minutes, and then go back to concentrate
... See more
The concept of taking a break, whatever its length, to regain concentration implies that one has lost it (the concentration, not the mind) first, right?

To lose concentration on something would also imply that one gets distracted.

In this poll-induced thought exercise, let's say that I lose my concentration on translating a sentence, so I decide to take a 5-minute break. Then that means I have to focus on taking 5, not 10 or 30, minutes, and then go back to concentrate on that pesky sentence.

Just focusing on this process is enough to be distracting and unproductive.

So, how did the poll's author arrive at this question again? I lost my concentration.
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
Channeling Tolkien...again? Jan 2, 2014

Steve Kerry wrote:

The length of time that it takes me to drive 3 miles to the seaside, have a short walk on Filey beach and drive back again! Approx. 40-45 minutes.

Steve K.

Go see The Desolation of Smaug

Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:01
German to English
Desolation Row Jan 2, 2014

Mario Chavez wrote:

Steve Kerry wrote:

The length of time that it takes me to drive 3 miles to the seaside, have a short walk on Filey beach and drive back again! Approx. 40-45 minutes.

Steve K.

Go see The Desolation of Smaug

Been there, done that, Mario!

Regards,

Steve K.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Depends on how tired I am... Jan 2, 2014

...and the level of caffeine in my system... and if there's anything good on tv/netflix/hulu... or facebook... or Proz...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: For how long do you typically need to take a break to regain concentration?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »