Thread poster: Wilmer Brouwer
Wilmer Brouwer
Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Local time: 16:51
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 30, 2007

Has anyone here tried the "Open Source Toolkit for Statistical Machine Translation" Moses? It can be found on http://www.statmt.org/jhuws/?n=Moses.GettingStarted
It looks very interesting to me, but because I am using windows I can't get it to work. I've installed cygwin to be able to use unix, but after that I apparently need to install SRILM - The SRI Language Modeling Toolkit,
... See more
Has anyone here tried the "Open Source Toolkit for Statistical Machine Translation" Moses? It can be found on http://www.statmt.org/jhuws/?n=Moses.GettingStarted
It looks very interesting to me, but because I am using windows I can't get it to work. I've installed cygwin to be able to use unix, but after that I apparently need to install SRILM - The SRI Language Modeling Toolkit, but I don't know how to do that and how to install Moses after that.
Any help on both things would be greatly appreciated, both applications assume that their users understand unix very well, which I don't unfortunately.

[Edited at 2007-03-30 17:25]
Collapse

franksf
franksf
Chinese to English
Looks like the user will need to compile the source code Apr 1, 2007

I took a brief look, the user may need to compile the source code. Generally speaking,
1. ./configure
2. make
3. make install

Before doing 1, the user can edit the configuration file to specify the gnu C compiler flags and specify the installation location (directory).

[Edited at 2007-04-01 02:41]

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:51
German to English
+ ...
SRILM/IRSTLM Apr 1, 2007

franksf wrote:

I took a brief look, the user may need to compile the source code. Generally speaking,
1. ./configure
2. make
3. make install
[Edited at 2007-04-01 02:41]

Having downloaded Moses from SourceForge and read the build-instructions, I see that one first needs to have a compiled and installed SRILM or IRSTLM so that the configure command is:

./configure --with-srilm=/path/to/srilm

or

./configure --with-irstlm=/path/to/irstlm

I haven't yet studied the literature enough to see which of these might be better for doing what, nor do I yet have much idea of what exactly it will be capable of once installed.

[Edited at 2007-04-01 10:23]

guzmanhe (X)
guzmanhe (X)
Local time: 08:51
English to Spanish
About SRLIM Apr 1, 2007

Configuring moses can be a pain on the neck. (tell me about it...)

About SRLIM

Get the code:
You can download SRILM code from: http://www.speech.sri.com/projects/srilm/download.html.

Prerequisites:
In order to compile SRILM you'll be needing:
• A template-capable ANSI-C/C++ compiler, preferably gcc version 3.4.3 or higher.<
... See more
Configuring moses can be a pain on the neck. (tell me about it...)

About SRLIM

Get the code:
You can download SRILM code from: http://www.speech.sri.com/projects/srilm/download.html.

Prerequisites:
In order to compile SRILM you'll be needing:
• A template-capable ANSI-C/C++ compiler, preferably gcc version 3.4.3 or higher.
• GNU make , to control compilation and installation.
• GNU gawk , required for many of the utility scripts.
• GNU gzip to unpack the distribution, and to allow SRILM programs to handle compressed
datafiles (highly recommended).
• The Tcl embeddable scripting language library (only required for some of the test
executables).

If you want to.. I have a brief explanation on how to configure MOSES at:

http://guzmanhe.googlepages.com/stmtlinks

(although it is written for Ubuntu Linux it may be useful to you)
Collapse

Wilmer Brouwer
Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Local time: 16:51
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Apr 2, 2007

Thank you all for replying. If I type ./configure it tells me that there is no such file or directory so there is probably something in cygwin that is different from normal unix/linux. So I don't get any further than that. Cygwin should have all the programs needed for installing both moses and sri, their website says they tested it, but I haven't got an idea how they did it.

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:51
German to English
+ ...
configure Apr 2, 2007

Wilmer Brouwer wrote:
If I type ./configure it tells me that there is no such file or directory so there is probably something in cygwin that is different from normal unix/linux.

No, it's doubtless that there is no configure file in the mosesdecoder (or the irstlm) directory.

Run

./regenerate-makefiles.sh

first, then you should get a message:

You should now be able to configure and build:
./configure --with-srilm=/path/to/srilm
make -j 4

[Edited at 2007-04-02 14:04]

hieu hoang
hieu hoang
English
using moses on windows May 25, 2007

hi guys,

i'm the creator and biggest contributor to the moses decoder source code.

i just seen your questions about moses, bit of an eye opener to see people trying to use it for real !

the decoder can be compiled for windows, with no cygwin/unix porting tools needed. i use Visual Studio 2005 on windows.

the training code is more problematic on windows - its not written with cross-platform in mind...

however, i'm not sure if the
... See more
hi guys,

i'm the creator and biggest contributor to the moses decoder source code.

i just seen your questions about moses, bit of an eye opener to see people trying to use it for real !

the decoder can be compiled for windows, with no cygwin/unix porting tools needed. i use Visual Studio 2005 on windows.

the training code is more problematic on windows - its not written with cross-platform in mind...

however, i'm not sure if the project is useful for translators as is, its more of a research project for people into automatic translation.

i'm trying to build bridges to translators, developing front-ends, making it more user friendly, adding particular features etc.

if anyone's interesting in doing this, pls email me on hieu at hoang dot co dot uk

also, it's prob best to use the moses mailing list for moses questions as the moses people, including me, aren't translators so rarely use these forums
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/moses-support

thx

Hieu Hoang
www.hoang.co.uk/hieu

[Edited at 2007-05-25 16:13]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moses machine translation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »