Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Rephrasing the Kudoz context rule 2.4
Thread poster: Nesrin
Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Checking... May 27, 2010

Nesrin wote:

Incidentally, how come the "Explanation" field when asking a question is said to be "required", and yet it's possible to leave it completely blank??

Good catch, Nesrin. Let me check this and get back to you.

Lucia

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 21:29
English to Polish
+ ...
that's the point May 27, 2010

♫ Lucia ♫ wrote:

As explained in my previous reply, providing context for a term included in a KudoZ question is a guideline and not a rule. Users can always refrain from answering if they consider the context provided is not enough or else if no context is specified.

The point is, so many questions are asked without any context that answerers waste a significant amount of time even clicking on those questions and reading them.

Also, those who do answer questions without context - be it a wild guess - make sure that the bad deed goes unpunished, so to speak. Askers then see that you don't need to provide context to get an answer.

Proz might consider simply making this a rule, although I do see the difficulty in determining whether or not context is 'sufficient'.

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
The main objective in KudoZ is to help askers May 27, 2010

Hello Krzysztof,

The main objective of "help" KudoZ is to provide help to askers. Preventing the posting of a question or deleting it based on context requirements would not be in line with this objective.

Also, just as you say, making it a rule to provide context when posting a KudoZ question would lead to a rule that could be almost impossible to enforce since it is not always easy to determine what the context for a given term is and whether it is sufficient or not.<
... See more
Hello Krzysztof,

The main objective of "help" KudoZ is to provide help to askers. Preventing the posting of a question or deleting it based on context requirements would not be in line with this objective.

Also, just as you say, making it a rule to provide context when posting a KudoZ question would lead to a rule that could be almost impossible to enforce since it is not always easy to determine what the context for a given term is and whether it is sufficient or not.

Regards,

Lucia
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Link to FAQ added to KudoZ question form and bug in "Explanation" field fixed May 27, 2010

I just wanted to let you know that a link to FAQ http://www.proz.com/faq/70204#70204 has been added to the ask a KudoZ question page. Hope this will help to clarify what kind of information askers are expected to enter in the "Explanation / More about term" field of the KudoZ question form.

Also, the bug that allowed questions to be po
... See more
I just wanted to let you know that a link to FAQ http://www.proz.com/faq/70204#70204 has been added to the ask a KudoZ question page. Hope this will help to clarify what kind of information askers are expected to enter in the "Explanation / More about term" field of the KudoZ question form.

Also, the bug that allowed questions to be posted without any information in the "Explanation / More about term" field has been fixed now. Thanks Nesrin for bringing that to my attention!

Kind regards,

Lucia
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
. May 27, 2010

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz wrote:

♫ Lucia ♫ wrote:

As explained in my previous reply, providing context for a term included in a KudoZ question is a guideline and not a rule. Users can always refrain from answering if they consider the context provided is not enough or else if no context is specified.

The point is, so many questions are asked without any context that answerers waste a significant amount of time even clicking on those questions and reading them.

Also, those who do answer questions without context - be it a wild guess - make sure that the bad deed goes unpunished, so to speak. Askers then see that you don't need to provide context to get an answer.

Proz might consider simply making this a rule, although I do see the difficulty in determining whether or not context is 'sufficient'.

I strongly agree with Krzysztof. What would we have to do to get you to reconsider, Lucia? I don't think "If you don't like the question, don't answer it" is a very strong argument. You still have to waste time looking at it, and the large number of questions with no context is a serious flaw with KudoZ that could easily be rectified.

Does anyone else agree with me?

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Rule 2.4 is a guideline in line with KudoZ objective May 28, 2010

Hello philgoddard,

Like explained in one of my previous replies, the main objective of KudoZ is to provide help to askers. Hence, http://www.proz.com/siterules/kudoz_asking/2.4#2.4 is a guideline simply because it is in line with such objective.

Now, the "Explanation / More about term" field of the KudoZ question form has been fixed so that it prevents KudoZ as
... See more
Hello philgoddard,

Like explained in one of my previous replies, the main objective of KudoZ is to provide help to askers. Hence, http://www.proz.com/siterules/kudoz_asking/2.4#2.4 is a guideline simply because it is in line with such objective.

Now, the "Explanation / More about term" field of the KudoZ question form has been fixed so that it prevents KudoZ askers from posting questions without including any information about the term. Also, a link to FAQ http://www.proz.com/faq/70204#70204 has been added right below the "Explanation" box to encourage the inclusion of as much information as possible in any question. These two changes should help with the posting of more complete KudoZ questions.

Lucia
Collapse

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
clarification May 28, 2010

I think these are excellent changes. To clarify one thing, I suppose it's everybody's intention for the system to be more helpful to askers. But in order to be helpful to askers, it has to attract answerers and not discourage them. Hence the previous suggestions.

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
i agree with you, phil May 30, 2010

philgoddard wrote:

Does anyone else agree with me?

Others have had high hopes for this place too - just think of the potential!

But you'd better resign yourself to the fact that this site thrives on quantity, not quality.
They do everything in their power to make life easy for everyone except professionals.

Fact of ProZ life.

Cilian

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rephrasing the Kudoz context rule 2.4

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »