Thread poster: Alp Berker
Minoru Kuwahara
Minoru Kuwahara
Japan
Local time: 04:17
English to Japanese
+ ...
i cannot believe ... Jun 22, 2009

Upon this news, I really could not believe it's that Can who often appeared in Japanese KudoZ, and to whose answers I sometimes put comments as an exchange of fellowship. So sad. Within this virtual community on the Internet, I didn't know him personally at all, probably never knew his name unless accessing KudoZ, besides probably like many of you here, I had no idea he's struggling with cancer for over a year and was not actually aware of his face nor age but that iconic pic of a cat on his pro... See more
Upon this news, I really could not believe it's that Can who often appeared in Japanese KudoZ, and to whose answers I sometimes put comments as an exchange of fellowship. So sad. Within this virtual community on the Internet, I didn't know him personally at all, probably never knew his name unless accessing KudoZ, besides probably like many of you here, I had no idea he's struggling with cancer for over a year and was not actually aware of his face nor age but that iconic pic of a cat on his profile which he would not replace with anything else perhaps for years, which I only know...

I believe he did a great contribution to the community as a translator, whether it's Japanese KudoZ or any specific forums. And on my part as a colleague, I would have thanked him for his modest, respectful, humorous and friendly manners in communication... Certainly I regret a lot we lost someone important especially to us, EnglsihJapanese translators.

I wish I or all of us here had had, at least, a chance to send him our encouragements while he's alive.

Sincerest condolences to his families and friends.
May his soul rest in peace in heaven...
Collapse

Alp Berker
Alp Berker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:17
Turkish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Photo & More information Jun 22, 2009

For pictures of Can, please see our powwow photos of last year:
http://www.proz.com/powwow_report/2132
He is furthest on the left.
He had been struggling with liver cancer since early 2008. He had been doing well, I just had talked with him in the middle of May, but due to some traveling and selling our home, I hadn't been able to talk to him as frequently as I had wanted. I reall
... See more
He had been struggling with liver cancer since early 2008. He had been doing well, I just had talked with him in the middle of May, but due to some traveling and selling our home, I hadn't been able to talk to him as frequently as I had wanted. I really wished I had called him a week or two back.
His wife called me with the bad news. I was also shocked. Again I believe we lost a valuable friend for those that knew him.
Collapse

conejo
conejo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:17
Japanese to English
+ ...
Sad news Jun 22, 2009

I wish him well, wherever he is.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:17
Italian to English
+ ...
Sad news Jun 22, 2009

I'm sorry to hear this. I also knew Can only through his Forum posts, but I remember him particularly as a fellow cat lover, as clearly demonstrated by his photo here.

RIP, Can.

[Edited at 2009-06-22 21:20 GMT]

Minoru Kuwahara
Minoru Kuwahara
Japan
Local time: 04:17
English to Japanese
+ ...
understand Jun 23, 2009

Alp Berker wrote:

He had been struggling with liver cancer since early 2008. He had been doing well, I just had talked with him in the middle of May, but due to some traveling and selling our home, I hadn't been able to talk to him as frequently as I had wanted. I really wished I had called him a week or two back.
His wife called me with the bad news. I was also shocked. Again I believe we lost a valuable friend for those that knew him.

Thank you, Alp, for posting the link to your powwow last year. In that, he may look in his late 50s or maybe 60s, I don't know. It would not matter. I understand how you feel.

Alp Berker
United States
Turkish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Can was 57. Jun 23, 2009

mulberryvalley wrote:

Alp Berker wrote:

Thank you, Alp, for posting the link to your powwow last year. In that, he may look in his late 50s or maybe 60s, I don't know. It would not matter. I understand how you feel.

Di Wu (X)
Di Wu (X)  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
Can Was My Powwow Buddy Jun 25, 2009

I'm really sorry to hear the news. I enjoyed the Powwows we had with him. They were like yesterday. I knew he's not in good health but am still shocked. My condolences to his family.

Alp Berker
United States
Turkish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Posting from Can's widow Jun 26, 2009

Joan Diamond Altinbay asked me to post this:
“My husband, Can, loved the work he did through Proz. He enjoyed the discussions and intellectual stimulation he got on Proz. It was the first site he checked every morning and the last he checked at night. I want to thank all of you for keeping him in touch with the outside world and keeping his brain stimulated. He fought a very hard battle for 18 months, and was still trying to work up until two weeks before he died. As his wife, I thank yo
... See more
Joan Diamond Altinbay asked me to post this:
“My husband, Can, loved the work he did through Proz. He enjoyed the discussions and intellectual stimulation he got on Proz. It was the first site he checked every morning and the last he checked at night. I want to thank all of you for keeping him in touch with the outside world and keeping his brain stimulated. He fought a very hard battle for 18 months, and was still trying to work up until two weeks before he died. As his wife, I thank you all for your good wishes and sympathy. Thank you. Joan Diamond Altinbay”
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

The Passing Of Can Altinbay

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »