RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:39
English to Japanese
+ ...
Dec 12, 2008

Hi all,

I'm shifting very cautiously into a spending mode. One of my wish list items is a QUIET keyboard - it doesn't matter whether it is wired or wireless, ergonomic or not.

I'm not heavy-handed, I think, and one of the keyboards I have had (Logitech) makes a loud clicking sound and it is hard to type in. I'm ready to ship it anytime for a recycling program.

Is there anything you can r
... See more
Hi all,

I'm shifting very cautiously into a spending mode. One of my wish list items is a QUIET keyboard - it doesn't matter whether it is wired or wireless, ergonomic or not.

I'm not heavy-handed, I think, and one of the keyboards I have had (Logitech) makes a loud clicking sound and it is hard to type in. I'm ready to ship it anytime for a recycling program.

Is there anything you can recommend? Does anyone use a silicon keyboard? Please share your opinion!

Thank you,
Rie
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:39
Portuguese to English
+ ...
See Google Dec 12, 2008

Hi Rie,
Just for the heck of it, I looked up "silent computer keyboard" on Goggle and found lots of options. I'm not familiar with any of them, because I already have the perfect silent keyboard on my MacBook.

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Saw Google Dec 12, 2008

That's what we do first, isn't it? I want Pro's opionions!

Traditionally mac/Apple does a great job with these gadgets. I cannot afford to buy Mac now. Maybe will buy one when I retire...

Thank you, Amy

Rie

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
This is geeky and wacky, but... Dec 12, 2008

You may want to check out this neat virtual keyboard: http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/8193/

It uses Bluetooth technology, so you can hook it up with any Bluetooth-compatible device. It's only the size of a matchbook, so it travels really well. If you are looking for a keyboard that doesn't make a sound whatsoever and doesn't require you to press down keys, this is the
... See more
You may want to check out this neat virtual keyboard: http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/8193/

It uses Bluetooth technology, so you can hook it up with any Bluetooth-compatible device. It's only the size of a matchbook, so it travels really well. If you are looking for a keyboard that doesn't make a sound whatsoever and doesn't require you to press down keys, this is the ultimate keyboard for you. Plus, it is so visually appealing that it is a work of art and will blow people's minds! It's on sale - 25% off.
Collapse

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Geeky and wacky! Dec 12, 2008

Thank you Viktoria!

I have a feeling that my cat will also love it and sit on it... It sure is quiet with no "click" because you are tapping the surface of whatever the image is reflected on. Kind of "street typist"? Has anyone bought this???

I've been looking at the flexible keyboard as well. Does anyone out there have this type of keyboard? Do you like it?

Rie

Viktoria Gimbe
Canada
English to French
+ ...
I actually do Dec 12, 2008

Rie Matsuda wrote:

I've been looking at the flexible keyboard as well. Does anyone out there have this type of keyboard? Do you like it?

My place is full of ThinkGeek stuff. I am a geek, so it's the best online store for me.

I have the flexible keyboard. It's nice and it does exactly what the page says. However, the keys are quite soft, so you will need some time to get used to it. Mine kind of died out on me - the part where the keyboard and the power cord meet got loose, and since it cannot really be opened for fixing, I couldn't repair it. However, it comes with a lifetime guarantee - but you need to pay shipping, which amounts to at least as much as the price of the keyboard itself. As for being silent, it is really silent, but it does make some very soft plastic wrap sounds, which can be annoying to a person sleeping right next to you but which you can not hear if you have a TV playing softly in the room.

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
plastic wrap sound..... Dec 12, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

... but it does make some very soft plastic wrap sounds, which can be annoying to a person sleeping right next to you but which you can not hear if you have a TV playing softly in the room.

LOL! it reminded me of my ex-manager who was (and probably is still) a yoga teacher. When he and a group of people flew to a customer site for a week of on-site training (I wasn't included), my friend and co-worker was awaken in a hotel room by a strange noise, to find the yoga master on a very sticky vinyl Yoga mat. E....

Plastic wrap should sound better, though!

Now I must have this keyboard to amuse myself. Thank you for sharing your experience.

I'm probably junky rather than geeky. I'm drawn to something like this:

http://www.usbgeek.com/prod_detail.php?prod_id=0535

Happy working and shopping!
Rie

Viktoria Gimbe
Canada
English to French
+ ...
USB gloves Dec 13, 2008

Yup, I saw those on TV a few days ago. My first thought was that if must be awefully practical when you are typing outside in winter. The second thought was how do you keep a laptop running in such conditions. I can imagine its uses, however, in third world countries, where people sometimes have to choose between paying for an Internet connection and paying for coal for heating. I wonder, though, how they would gather the money for the gloves in such conditions...

P.S.: I forgot to
... See more
Yup, I saw those on TV a few days ago. My first thought was that if must be awefully practical when you are typing outside in winter. The second thought was how do you keep a laptop running in such conditions. I can imagine its uses, however, in third world countries, where people sometimes have to choose between paying for an Internet connection and paying for coal for heating. I wonder, though, how they would gather the money for the gloves in such conditions...

P.S.: I forgot to mention. The rollup keyboard is very practical for people who have the nasty habit of spilling their cuppa on their keyboards - the thing is entirely sealed shut; it's just short of being dishwasher safe. However, if you have a cat, it may be a bad choice - if I was a cat, I'd probably cuddle up to it, as it is both soft and slightly warm.

[Edited at 2008-12-13 00:04 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Barnett
Michael Barnett
English
+ ...
Be careful what you wish for... Dec 13, 2008

Hi Rie.

I work in an office with multiple computers and keyboards. I love gadgets too and have gone through dozens of input devices.

As it happens, most of the keyboards at the office are the so-called "silent" ones. I eschew them.

The flip side of silent is soft, mushy feedback. You have to press harder. You never really know if you have hit the end of the travel. There is no satisfying snap. You leave the job tired and strangely uneasy. A vague gloom de
... See more
Hi Rie.

I work in an office with multiple computers and keyboards. I love gadgets too and have gone through dozens of input devices.

As it happens, most of the keyboards at the office are the so-called "silent" ones. I eschew them.

The flip side of silent is soft, mushy feedback. You have to press harder. You never really know if you have hit the end of the travel. There is no satisfying snap. You leave the job tired and strangely uneasy. A vague gloom descends. You cry more easily. People irritate you. You lose interest in friends, family, work. You start to have trouble concentrating.

No, give me the tactile clicky keyboard of the original IBM PC. Every keystroke is joyful, responsive, decisive, complete and positive.

Michael
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:39
English to Hungarian
+ ...
ergonomy Dec 13, 2008

If you are planning on working on the thing for hours on a regular basis, I recommend a normal keyboard.
Typing on a notebook like Amy Duncan does is bad enough, don't punish yourself even more with silicone, virtual or something similarly horrendous to type on.

My logitech wave is reasonably silent, but not dead quiet. Why is sound level so important to you? I know I probably couldn't live with something as incredibly loud as a das keyboard but most keyboards don't click too
... See more
If you are planning on working on the thing for hours on a regular basis, I recommend a normal keyboard.
Typing on a notebook like Amy Duncan does is bad enough, don't punish yourself even more with silicone, virtual or something similarly horrendous to type on.

My logitech wave is reasonably silent, but not dead quiet. Why is sound level so important to you? I know I probably couldn't live with something as incredibly loud as a das keyboard but most keyboards don't click too annoyingly, at least not for the person using them.

Recommendation: go to a few big box stores and test keyboards. There is a lot of variation in layout, button shape, button travel, resistance and sound. If you've been translating for a while you probably have a reasonably good idea of what you'll like in a keyboard.

The laser keyboard is amazing as a concept, but I can guarantee you it would halve anyone's wpm...
Collapse

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
good ol' IBM Dec 13, 2008

Hi Michael,

Thank you for revealing the dark side of soft keyboard. Love the narrative touch! Where's the sequel?

Michael Barnett wrote:

No, give me the tactile clicky keyboard of the original IBM PC. Every keystroke is joyful, responsive, decisive, complete and positive.

Michael

I used to work for an IT department and every machine we order came with a so-called "silent" keyboard. Yeah right. Cheap. But we never thought of spending money on keyboards - people don't like hand-me-down keyboards.

I used a genuine IBM PC machine in my college lab in the late 80s. My school was located near the town where one of the IBM Plants was located. It was a time when "'Twas the time before WINDOWS, not a creature called GUI was stirring, not even a Mouse....., and I needed the keyboard so badly to stay awake - together with a countless cups of coffee and all goodies from vending machines.

Kindest regards,
Rie

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why important? Dec 13, 2008

FarkasAndras wrote:
Why is sound level so important to you? I know I probably couldn't live with something as incredibly loud as a das keyboard but most keyboards don't click too annoyingly, at least not for the person using them.

Thank you for the post, (your didn't sign... Andras?)

Why is sound level so important? Because it is! And, I'm worth it

Seriously, I don't need the dead silent keyboard. I have five keyboards with me including two laptop ones, and one and of them just annoys me so much. Maybe it has to do with pitch or depth, I don't know.

I have tried ergonomic keyboards and I must admit they are not my favorite, though they are supposed to be good. I have been typing since the typewriter era, and it is so hard to change the hand/arm positioning, just like it needs some levels of discipline to change your tennis/golf swing. And, some people do like a narrow laptop keyboard. Maybe it's a matter of preference. It may be like choosing a box spring/mattress

Regards,
Rie

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Mac keyboard annoyances... Dec 13, 2008

Rie Matsuda wrote:

That's what we do first, isn't it? I want Pro's opionions!

Traditionally mac/Apple does a great job with these gadgets. I cannot afford to buy Mac now.b

You can buy a Mac keyboard only
Some time ago, I bought on of them 'cause it's small and provides an USB hub.
I just had switched the notebook (HP to IBM) and the new keyboard layout was a pain in the neck, so why I needed a good, small and portable "normal" keyboard
After some time, I bought urgently the second one when I had left the first one at home
In fact, I don't regret it.
It's really quiet but if you type really fast (I type hyperfast...), it may don't recognize when you type twice the same char.

Beware.
The key disposition may be very annoying, it doesn't follow exactly the PC standard, so you may have problems with the right Apple/Alt/Ctrl keys, it may take months to press the correct key.
So, you may have serious problems if you switch frequently to a standard PC keyboard.
The Insert key is no available in a normal way (replaced by Fn).

Maybe will buy one when I retire...

I appreciate the cool lazy idiot side of Mac.
It simply works
When I'll be really an old grumpy idiot, I'll probably switch definitively to Mac
Or maybe earlier, if DVX runs on Mac some day.

PS.
My katz prefer Logitech.
The fuzzy bastards never sleep on a Mac keyboard so I'll need some compatibility mode

Cheers... from an old PB G4 12' I use mainly watching French TV in my kitchen...
GG

[Edited at 2008-12-13 22:24 GMT]

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 08:39
English to Thai
+ ...
I can be strange..... Dec 14, 2008

I was much impressed with the clicking sound of my old keyboard.
Later, I seeked a new keyboard to replace the old one and failed to find it.
I was much annoying with the quiet keyboard.
I could be a nervous man.
Now I find a new noisy keyboard.
I am very happy with my translation job.
The reason: I can concentrate with translation by listening and confirming my keying of words.
Am I too strange?

Soonthon L.

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ergonomic keyboards Dec 14, 2008

Rie Matsuda wrote:

I have tried ergonomic keyboards and I must admit they are not my favorite, though they are supposed to be good. I have been typing since the typewriter era, and it is so hard to change the hand/arm positioning, just like it needs some levels of discipline to change your tennis/golf swing. And, some people do like a narrow laptop keyboard. Maybe it's a matter of preference. It may be like choosing a box spring/mattress

I have also been typing since the Jurasic Park typewriter era and I had the same experience with an ergonomic keyboard I bought (I think from LogiTech). I was never able to "adapt" to its curvy shape and the way you are forced to place your hands/arms, so it ended up in the one drawer/cemetery where I keep (dunno what for) gadgets that I don't use any more.

Maybe a "typewriter generation" thing?

Saludos,

Ivette

P.S.: love the cat picture. Another cat freak here....

|\=/|
  /6 6\ _
=\_Y_/= ((
  / ^ \ ))
  /| | |\ //
  ( | | | )/
  `"" ""`

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quiet keyboard

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »