Muhammad Atallah
Muhammad Atallah  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 03:17
English to Arabic
+ ...
Mar 20, 2011

Dear Colleagues,

I use Adobe InDesign CS3. I have a two-column text frame. The direction of this two-columns text frame is left to right, but I need it the other way round. So I wonder how can I make its direction right to left?

I want to type Arabic text in this text frame. Since Arabic reads from right to left, I want InDesign to fill in the right-hand column first. Any suggestions on how to do this?

Sorry if the question is naive. I'm not an InDesign whi
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

I use Adobe InDesign CS3. I have a two-column text frame. The direction of this two-columns text frame is left to right, but I need it the other way round. So I wonder how can I make its direction right to left?

I want to type Arabic text in this text frame. Since Arabic reads from right to left, I want InDesign to fill in the right-hand column first. Any suggestions on how to do this?

Sorry if the question is naive. I'm not an InDesign whiz!
Collapse

Darío Giménez
Darío Giménez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
solution Mar 20, 2011

You can split your two-column text box into two one-column boxes (each one the size of a column) and set the text to flow from the first one to the second. This way, you can locate the second column by the left side of the first one. That's all. The hardest part is how do you manage to write right-lo-left without having InDesign ME (Middle East version)...

Muhammad Atallah
Muhammad Atallah  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 03:17
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 20, 2011

for your reply!

I've already thought of this solution, but it would be a little bit time consuming as my InDesign file is about 200 pages long. It would be much easier for me if there is a direct option to change the direction of the two-column text frame.

Darío wrote:
The hardest part is how do you manage to write right-lo-left without having InDesign ME (Middle East version)...

Of course, I have the ME version.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

InDesign - Directoin of a Two-Column Text Frame

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »