Tips for using CAT Tools on DTP?
Thread poster: Andreas Nieckele
Andreas Nieckele
Andreas Nieckele  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:55
English to Portuguese
Apr 3, 2009

So, I'm interested in knowing how exactly you go about using your CAT tools with DTP translations. I want to know if the process I use is the most practical one.

Ideally you'll get the source files for InDesign/Quark/PageMaker/whatever, and also a closed pdf. What I usually do is copy all the text from the PDF, paste it on a word

processing program, and translate away using a CAT tool.

When the translation is all said and done, I open the source files on t
... See more
So, I'm interested in knowing how exactly you go about using your CAT tools with DTP translations. I want to know if the process I use is the most practical one.

Ideally you'll get the source files for InDesign/Quark/PageMaker/whatever, and also a closed pdf. What I usually do is copy all the text from the PDF, paste it on a word

processing program, and translate away using a CAT tool.

When the translation is all said and done, I open the source files on their respective program and replace the text, making all the necessary changes.

I don't know how obvious is this question, but is there a more practical way to do this?

Thanks
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Check this out - for PageMaker & WordFast Apr 3, 2009

http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/22/1/How-to-collect-stories-with-PageMaker-for-Mac-(and-PC-too)-without-Trados-Story-Collector

I never tried it, but the idea seems functional.

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:55
Swedish to English
+ ...
InDesign - official method Apr 4, 2009

For InDesign in particular, your method surprises me, as there is what you might call an "official" method. In InDesign you can create an export file which contains all the text plus the formatting. This can then be loaded into a CAT tool like Trados Tageditor, where you can safely edit the text without damaging the formatting. The resulting file can then be imported back into InDesign. A little bit of DTP may then be needed to tidy up,
but the result is a translated version with the for
... See more
For InDesign in particular, your method surprises me, as there is what you might call an "official" method. In InDesign you can create an export file which contains all the text plus the formatting. This can then be loaded into a CAT tool like Trados Tageditor, where you can safely edit the text without damaging the formatting. The resulting file can then be imported back into InDesign. A little bit of DTP may then be needed to tidy up,
but the result is a translated version with the formatting intact. A far better procedure than trying to translate the original source InDesign files, copying and pasting, or a PDF version.

Most translators use this export-import method. Some have purchased InDesign in order to provide an end-to-end service (at extra cost).
Collapse

Rafał Kwiatkowski
Rafał Kwiatkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 07:55
German to Polish
+ ...
SDL Synergy Apr 5, 2009

You Can prepare many file formats using the Synergy app. Procedure of preparation these files to translation is almost identical to every file format so it's a great tool. The reverse progress is made by two clicks ("Finalize"). There's too much to s... See more
You Can prepare many file formats using the Synergy app. Procedure of preparation these files to translation is almost identical to every file format so it's a great tool. The reverse progress is made by two clicks ("Finalize"). There's too much to say about it, here's the info: http://www.lspzone.com/en/products/translation-memory/sdltradossynergy/howitworks/

Example:
1) define the project name, deadline, language pair etc.
2) drag and drop the source file(s)
3) define the TM
4) define the provious versions of the files (if it's some update of old project)
5) change advanced options (if needed)
6) click "next".

The (f.e.) indd file becomes convertd to TTX or RTF to translation. After the translation click "Finalize project" and You'll get updated TM and translated indd file. Now just modify the indd in InDesign, save as PDF and deliver PDF, indd and TM (if needed).
The procedure works with fm, mif, xls, xml, html, rs... E T C. . . .
Collapse

Andreas Nieckele
Andreas Nieckele  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Instructions Apr 6, 2009

Peter Linton wrote:

For InDesign in particular, your method surprises me, as there is what you might call an "official" method. In InDesign you can create an export file which contains all the text plus the formatting. The resulting file can then be imported back into InDesign.

Thanks Peter. Can you please describe how this method works? I've tried several exporting/importing procedures, but never managed to achieve what you describe.

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 23:55
English to Spanish
InDesign export (INX file) Apr 6, 2009

· Open the InDesign original file.
· Export to InDesign CS* Interchange (INX)
· (add any additional word while saving as)
· Translate the INX file with your CAT tool (I use Trados TagEditor).

Once translated, save target as...

· Open the INX translated file.
(It will open with your InDesign software, and you might find that pics and drawings won't appear here. This is normal, because your client did not send you the original images s
... See more
· Open the InDesign original file.
· Export to InDesign CS* Interchange (INX)
· (add any additional word while saving as)
· Translate the INX file with your CAT tool (I use Trados TagEditor).

Once translated, save target as...

· Open the INX translated file.
(It will open with your InDesign software, and you might find that pics and drawings won't appear here. This is normal, because your client did not send you the original images separately. But you can copy & paste images from the original .indd file.)

· Once done some reformatting and considered completed, SAVE AS .indd file.
· From here, you might want to create a PDF in the target language.

That's it!
Collapse

Rafał Kwiatkowski
Rafał Kwiatkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 07:55
German to Polish
+ ...
It depends... Apr 6, 2009

you might find that pics and drawings won't appear here

It depends on the project - the GFX files can be linked and/or embedded. If The graphics are linked to the files that You don't have, the images won't appear even before the translation. I didn't see that the graphics are correctly displayed before the translation but after the translation process the graphics are gone.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tips for using CAT Tools on DTP?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »