https://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/208475-do_you_solicit_client_comment_about_your_translation-page2.html&phpv_redirected=1

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Do you solicit client comment about your translation?
Thread poster: Alan Wang
ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:12
English to Chinese
+ ...
Testimonial Oct 6, 2011

Rita Pang wrote:

Kindly please elaborate- I am under the impression that some comments above seem to think that client feedback is essentially, useless, since it's not going to directly generate some moolah for you.

Rita,

Testimonial may be useful to some extent. However, don’t rely too much on it. As Steve said, “When you have to ask for it, people typically feel obligated to say something nice”. That’s why most companies do not weigh testimonials too much in their hiring process. It is your education background and relevant work experiences that really count.

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:12
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
You either get it or you don't Oct 9, 2011

when it comes to feedback.

I am more on the optimistic side of things; I have indeed asked for feedback and either get a really nice word (or two) or nothing. So needless to say, I don't have a long list to go through or too many quotes to put up on my website or something, but the ones I get, I try to be optimistic in "believing" that they mean what they'd said.

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
5 stars Oct 9, 2011

Well, I don't mean that people deliberately lie to your face. But when things could go either way, why rock the boat? It's basically the same as being optimistic, i.e., looking at things on the bright side.

But of course, a lot of feedback are both good and objective.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
令人頭痛的是REFERENCE Oct 9, 2011

申請工作時﹐動不動就要REFERENCES﹐還要3個。提交了很多REFERECES﹐結果也沒收到大活﹐這些公司都是想讓我用MINIMUM RATE給他做1500字的文件的那種公司。

新的收不到﹐老給REFERENCES找麻煩﹐you risk losing the established relationships.

因此凡是要REFERENCE的JOB﹐就不再提交申請了。

另一方面﹐也有人老請我做他的REFERENCE﹐其中有一個﹐我給了5分﹐從此以後他就不給我做了﹐因為他通過我的REFERENCE拿到了那個新的公司的單子﹐沒時間給我做了。這不是哭笑不得嗎讓人。

美國文化里這個REFERENCE的PRACTICE﹐非常奇怪。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
References Oct 9, 2011

jyuan_us wrote:

另一方面﹐也有人老請我做他的REFERENCE﹐其中有一個﹐我給了5分﹐從此以後他就不給我做了﹐因為他通過我的REFERENCE拿到了那個新的公司的單子﹐沒時間給我做了。這不是哭笑不得嗎讓人。

jyuan,

In most situations there is no conflict of interest for the person providing the reference.

Yet even then, folks normally don't want to be listed as a reference for somebody they can't vouch for. Because among other things, in the long run, it could possibly ruin their own reputation. So turning down a request for reference is par for the course. Of course, there are numerous ways to excuse oneself nicely.

[Edited at 2011-10-09 22:52 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Asking for References Oct 9, 2011

http://thesjsucareercenter.wordpress.com/2009/11/19/the-art-of-asking-for-references/

The Art of Asking for References

Finding people who can vouch for the quality of your work as well as your work ethic is important and a valuable way to ensure that you are credible. However, there is etiquette involved in identifying and requesting someone to act as a reference.  Here are a few tips to help you identify and secure the best possible references to support your job search and networking process.   

1. A favor, not a requirement: Previous employers or professors are not required to act as your references or provide referrals.  Remember, asking for a reference is like asking for a favor. Those who act as references are putting their reputations on the line to state that they recommend you for a specific position and confirm that you have skills/qualifications represented in a resume, cover letter or interview. So, be professional and honest about what you can do and review these traits with your references so that they know what aspects of your work you’d like them to speak about. Also, don’t be upset or angry if a person you’ve asked to be a reference declines. You want the best referral possible and if someone doesn’t feel comfortable acting as a reference or doesn’t feel they know you or your work well enough to provide a good reference, appreciate their honesty, and move on. 

2. Ask before you list:  If an employer calls a reference and they aren’t prepared to speak to your strengths or simply can’t remember you it won’t leave a favorable impression.  
Be sure to let people know that you plan on listing them as a reference before you apply to a particular position. Not only is this a common courtesy but it also allows your references to prepare some examples of your strengths. This will help avoid any surprises when they receive a phone call asking about their experiences working with you.   

3. Make it easy to give a good referral:   The value of your reference’s feedback is directly tied to the information that you provide for them. Typically, those who are giving you a reference may need some guidance in terms of the job/industry and the most relevant skills you posess:   

“I always appreciate it when a candidate gives me a copy of their resume and a short note about why they feel they are a good fit for the positions they applied to. It makes it easy for me to give a good reference and allows me to quickly remember that person’s strengths and accomplishments.”   
-Anita Manuel, Career Consultant    

4. Send thank you notes and update references on outcomes: Maintain good relationships with your supporters by showing your appreciation and sending a thank you note.   As stated earlier, providing a good reference is a favor to the candidate and an expression of support on the part of the referee. Therefore, make sure to show your appreciation. Also, let your references know about the outcome of your job search so that they can share in your success when you do land that internship or job for which they recommend you.   

redred
redred  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 16:12
English to Chinese
+ ...
rate Oct 10, 2011

jyuan_us wrote:

申請工作時﹐動不動就要REFERENCES﹐還要3個。提交了很多REFERECES﹐結果也沒收到大活﹐這些公司都是想讓我用MINIMUM RATE給他做1500字的文件的那種公司。

新的收不到﹐老給REFERENCES找麻煩﹐you risk losing the established relationships.

因此凡是要REFERENCE的JOB﹐就不再提交申請了。

Reference是托人情,走关系麻烦人办事的模样;并且本身就是违反confidentiality, 报给甲是这个价格,报给乙是另一个价格,通过reference让甲认识乙,他们串通起来打压vendor。

[Edited at 2011-10-10 01:05 GMT]

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Agree Oct 12, 2011

redred wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

Reference是托人情,走关系麻烦人办事的模样;并且本身就是违反confidentiality, 报给甲是这个价格,报给乙是另一个价格,通过reference让甲认识乙,他们串通起来打压vendor。

[Edited at 2011-10-10 01:05 GMT]

I agree. I generally take the highway whenever I see companies who want to hire me as a "vendor" but ask for specific names and companies of past clients. As if! Confidentiality is also an issue. I do a lot of personal certificate work and this wouldn't sit well.

On the non-translation work front however, I guess asking for 2-3 references is more than common practice.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you solicit client comment about your translation?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »