Thread poster: myska
myska
myska
Local time: 10:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 25, 2009

Hello,

I am hoping that somebody out there could help me with the following.
I am running Personal Edition 4.00 SP3c which I installed myself.

I am experiencing number of problems when working in crossDesk.

First of all, I opened my document/task for translation (Word 2007).
I found that it segmented the text by paragraphs. Now, I know that this is meant to be the default setting for Across as I read this in the manuals. Therefore I went into
... See more
Hello,

I am hoping that somebody out there could help me with the following.
I am running Personal Edition 4.00 SP3c which I installed myself.

I am experiencing number of problems when working in crossDesk.

First of all, I opened my document/task for translation (Word 2007).
I found that it segmented the text by paragraphs. Now, I know that this is meant to be the default setting for Across as I read this in the manuals. Therefore I went into System Settings to adjust the segmentation and set it to segmentation by sentence only to find out that it was already set so by default. How confusing! The Wizard then confirmed that the default segmentation for Across is sentence! Well, there certainly seems to be lack of agreement between the actual situation + Wizard and the manuals.
This means, however, that the text should have been segmented by sentence in the first place which it was not.
Anyway, I did re-select segmentation by sentence but nothing happened. No matter what I do Across will not segment the text by sentence!!!!! I am feeling very frustrated with this.

Moreover, in the manual it says that the unit I am currently working on in my translation is meant to be written in black while the rest of the text is supposed to be light grey. I would really like this feature but instead I have everything black.

This is not where my struggle end. I also found out that straight away Across inserted 100% matches in the target language pane, setting such paragraphs to touched. I don't think that this is meant to happen unless I opt for pre-translation myself. Or is this normal? And if it is, how can I stop it from doing so if I wanted to.
The fundamental question I have is regarding this issue is: if the program inserts the 100% matches itself does this mean that it takes these matches from all the entries in my crossTerm regardless their differences in e.g. subject? I would not find such a feature very useful at all. How do I make the program to consider only those entries I wish to -e.g. a certain subject. I know that there are filters to be used and I have used them extensively when doing concordance searches independently of crossDesk (in crossTank manager) but how do I do such a selection during my translation? Please do not refer me to the manuals, I have read them and in my opinion, it is very hard to find some information there. Don't take me wrong, I think that the manuals are very well done, however, I find the information sometimes to be scattered all over the place. Despite the fact that you might have different chapters dealing with different topics you might still find information on that topic elsewhere in the manual yet it is not included in the relevant chapter (especially as regards tiny details that can be, however, very important).

Please do help if you can since I am completely stuck now!!!!

Thank you so much!!!!

All the best,

Martina

[Edited at 2009-04-25 16:44 GMT]
Collapse

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
United States
Local time: 04:01
English to German
Segmentation problem Apr 25, 2009

Myska,

Unde the link http://www.72arts.com/across-4-0sp2.html you will find a configuration guide for across. Althouygh its for SP2 most of is the same and it is a little less overwhelming than the doucmentation. It will answer all questions you have listed here.

Just for clarification: matches are inserted from CrossTank (the actual Translation memory). CrossTerm, is th
... See more
Myska,

Unde the link http://www.72arts.com/across-4-0sp2.html you will find a configuration guide for across. Althouygh its for SP2 most of is the same and it is a little less overwhelming than the doucmentation. It will answer all questions you have listed here.

Just for clarification: matches are inserted from CrossTank (the actual Translation memory). CrossTerm, is the terminology part of across.

Uwe

[Edited at 2009-04-25 20:56 GMT]
Collapse

myska
myska
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Uwe Apr 26, 2009

Just for clarification: matches are inserted from CrossTank (the actual Translation memory). CrossTerm, is the terminology part of across.

Thank you, Uwe,

I will definitely have a look at that documentation. It would be nice if it could provide answers to my questions. I appologize for referring to crossTerm in my post - thank you for pointing that out to me. I definitely meant crossTank.

Martina

myska
myska
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My deepest appologies Apr 26, 2009

I would like to appologize to Across,

for writing that there is differing information between the Across manuals and the actual situation plus Wizard. The default setting for Across is sentence!!!! I don't know why I believed that the manual said otherwise. Well, it is true that I am trying to grasp a lot in a very short time, which is not exactly an ideal scenario in a case of such a complex and well-featured program as Across is.

I would also like to clarify that ther
... See more
I would like to appologize to Across,

for writing that there is differing information between the Across manuals and the actual situation plus Wizard. The default setting for Across is sentence!!!! I don't know why I believed that the manual said otherwise. Well, it is true that I am trying to grasp a lot in a very short time, which is not exactly an ideal scenario in a case of such a complex and well-featured program as Across is.

I would also like to clarify that there is no problem with the segmentation but with me The reason why I thought that Across was not segmenting the text by sentence was that it was displaying the text in the source language pane parcelled into paragraphs no matter what I did. Silly me since I assumed that it kept segmenting the text into paragraphs which is a different thing. Although the manual said that the segmentation method by sentence: " first divides the source texts into paragraphs and subsequently into sentences with the help of predefined sentence rules" I did not quite understand that this is what it meant.

To cut the story short, I expected to see the source language text to be displayed in sentences = one sentence per each cell. Now I understand that Across displays the text always in paragraphs but then the segmentation option dictates whether you will translate the whole lot in the Target Editor or just one sentence after another.
In fact, this is a very helpful feature since it enables you to see the context really easily.

I really do appologize for the mix up. It has to do with being used to Wordfast.

Thank you for your understanding!!!

Martina

[Edited at 2009-04-26 13:47 GMT]
Collapse

Nicole Keller
Nicole Keller
Germany
Local time: 11:01
English to German
+ ...
pretranslation Apr 27, 2009

Hi Martina,

I just quickly wanted to answer your question regarding the pretranslation. If you go to Tools>>Profile Settings>>Project Wizard settings you can select whether you want to store 100% matches automatically to your target paragraphs during project creation. If you disable this option you can either start the pretranslation manually or just insert the 100% matches when translate the segment. This option used to be integrated in the Project Wizard and now wsitched to the pr
... See more
Hi Martina,

I just quickly wanted to answer your question regarding the pretranslation. If you go to Tools>>Profile Settings>>Project Wizard settings you can select whether you want to store 100% matches automatically to your target paragraphs during project creation. If you disable this option you can either start the pretranslation manually or just insert the 100% matches when translate the segment. This option used to be integrated in the Project Wizard and now wsitched to the profile settings.

Nicole
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

crossDesk segmentation problem

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »