https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/240476-holiday_jinx_strikes_again.html&phpv_redirected=1

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Holiday Jinx Strikes Again!
Thread poster: Alison Sparks (X)
Alison Sparks (X)
Alison Sparks (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:17
French to English
+ ...
Jan 3, 2013

For the last ten years I seem to have been 'jinxed' over the Christmas/New Year Period, and am beginning to wonder if I'm the only one!

On the first occasion the novovirus struck with deadly accuracy and at midnight on 31st December I was huddled in the toilets of a very nice restaurant, where I had been unable to eat anything at all, not even the consommé soup the concerned owner had made especially. A miserable night and two days and nights followed....
See more
For the last ten years I seem to have been 'jinxed' over the Christmas/New Year Period, and am beginning to wonder if I'm the only one!

On the first occasion the novovirus struck with deadly accuracy and at midnight on 31st December I was huddled in the toilets of a very nice restaurant, where I had been unable to eat anything at all, not even the consommé soup the concerned owner had made especially. A miserable night and two days and nights followed.

Since then, either Christmas or New Year has seen me bedridden with bronchitis, flu or novovirus, and I've long since given up on booking and pre-paying a nice night out.

This year I was determined that no such thing would happen again. I did all my shopping for the two week holiday, well before Christmas. Avoided giving anyone "bisous", adopted elaborate hand washing rituals after shopping, or hand shaking, etc. This I thought, along with routine hand washing before making meals, after going to the loo and so on, should protect me. Like h*** it did!

I went nowhere at all between Christmas and New Year and saw only one person, the 'pompier' who came to call with the calendar, and no hand shaking occurred! Two days later the dreaded novovirus struck. Fortunately it was a relatively mild attack. None of the family who spent Christmas Eve and Day here had it.

Although feeling rather weak and wobbly, by Saturday I was feeling better and hoping the family get together for the Reveillon would go well. I woke up on Sunday with a streaming cold, coughing horrendously, and alternatively too hot or too cold. Needless to say I wasn't on top form for midnight on the 31st, although this time was not confined to bed.

Does anyone know how to get rid of the jinx? I've tried all the usual things of vitamins, eating properly and regularly, airing the house, getting plenty of fresh air myself, and generally being as fit as possible but nothing seems to work. PLEASE help. Or do I just cancel all festive activities, emigrate or what?
Collapse

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
It's definitely not a jinx! Jan 3, 2013

Do you live in a crowded/overpopulated/humid/polluted area?

I used to get sick all the time when I lived in my hometown, Bari, Southern Italy, and also when I lived in Germany, Frankfurt, but as soon as I relocated to Las Vegas, NV, USA, I haven't caught a bug yet in 6 years!
So I suggest you spend at least your end-of-the-year vacations in Las Vegas!

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:17
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
The Italian Remedy Jan 3, 2013

This is not exactly a medical advice, but some believe it might work...

http://www.lexiophiles.com/english/it-is-not-true-but-i-believe-it

Best,

Alison Sparks (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Giuseppina Jan 3, 2013

I live five kilometres from the centre of a tiny village, with nearest neighbours 500 metres away. It's fairly humid, but that doesn't usually bother me!

@texjax Interesting idea, maybe I could hang up some 'piment d'Espelette' which look rather similar. Might try it next year. We've always done the traditional holly wreath on the door and mistletoe in the entrance, and that doesn't seem to work either!...
See more
I live five kilometres from the centre of a tiny village, with nearest neighbours 500 metres away. It's fairly humid, but that doesn't usually bother me!

@texjax Interesting idea, maybe I could hang up some 'piment d'Espelette' which look rather similar. Might try it next year. We've always done the traditional holly wreath on the door and mistletoe in the entrance, and that doesn't seem to work either!
Collapse

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
It could also be ... Jan 3, 2013

that you've been working to the max all year and when you finally wind down at Christmas you are more open to viruses. It happens a lot. When you finally relax after months of tension, that's when you get sick.
FWIW
Catherine

Alison Sparks (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Catherine Jan 3, 2013

I wish I had been working to the max all year, but not this one. However, come to think of it, this year has been rather more stressful than most, what with starting out in the freelance world, and various family complications. Maybe that's the reason? Perhaps I need a good "course" on how not to get stressed?
Ten years on the trot seems a bit unfair though, but then my father always used to say life wasn't fair!

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
add some onions and garlic Jan 3, 2013

I would suggest adding some onions and garlic.

A kind friend posted this:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=270299349748718&set=pb.100003059653636.-2207520000.1357237917&type=3&theater

to explain about onions, and I think that garlic can have somewhat the same effect. They do
... See more
I would suggest adding some onions and garlic.

A kind friend posted this:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=270299349748718&set=pb.100003059653636.-2207520000.1357237917&type=3&theater

to explain about onions, and I think that garlic can have somewhat the same effect. They do also keep vampires away, to add a touch of gruesome fantasy to your bundle.

I never seem to get sick much (touch wood) but if I had missed ten NY parties on the trot I would definitely follow that advice!
Collapse

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:17
German to English
+ ...
Maybe Jan 3, 2013

the holly wreath and the mistle toe are the problem

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I am not a doctor Jan 4, 2013

Alison Sparks wrote:

I am not a doctor, so this is just a long, uninformed shot. The first that comes to my mind is that the distance from bigger populations during the year keeps your immune system less active. Probably during Christmas one is more prone to mix in with the crowds of bigger towns or cities and therefore the risk of contracting diseases is higher if your body is not used to fighting other little attacks during the year. If this is the case, the only solution I see is to mix with the crowd more often.

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
And now for something completely different... Jan 4, 2013

Perhaps it is because you fear being sick at this time of year, in other words, almost expect to be ill at this time of year. Try focusing (mentally) on health, think thoughts of being extremely vital and healthy ALL year, not just the holiday season. Stronger than just thinking thoughts, decide not to get sick.

A few years ago I had an experience that led me to realize I was tired of being sick, did not want to be at the mercy of doctors and hospitals ever again, and just was not
... See more
Perhaps it is because you fear being sick at this time of year, in other words, almost expect to be ill at this time of year. Try focusing (mentally) on health, think thoughts of being extremely vital and healthy ALL year, not just the holiday season. Stronger than just thinking thoughts, decide not to get sick.

A few years ago I had an experience that led me to realize I was tired of being sick, did not want to be at the mercy of doctors and hospitals ever again, and just was not going to be sick anymore. Amazingly enough, I've had no colds or flus (oh dear, what an odd looking word), or anything else... and have been amazingly healthy since then.
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:17
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
What I observed Jan 4, 2013

As soon as peak season / huge projects / holiday seasons are over, I fall sick. Because I allow myself to do so. If my adrenaline level drops, so does my immune system. By the end of January I have to see a doctor for my chronic ear infection. I also want to sleep 18 hours a day. They give me some medication from hell, I need to sleep for another two weeks, then I am good again for the rest of the year.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good health Jan 4, 2013

Nicole Schnell wrote:
As soon as peak season / huge projects / holiday seasons are over, I fall sick. Because I allow myself to do so. If my adrenaline level drops, so does my immune system.

This is what we in Spain call "self-employed's health", i.e. you remain really healthy as long as you simply do not have the time to become ill. As soon as you have a calmer couple of days... you get something.

Given that Spain has a high level of self-employment and very many SMEs, health is generally quite good.

Alison Sparks (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi All Jan 4, 2013

Thanks for all the suggestions.
@Texte Style, I knew that you shouldn't use onions which had been cut and then stored, but now I know why. I thought it was eating onions and garlic which kept bugs away. I'll definitely try that for next year.

@Tomas. I mix with the same people on a regular basis and the problem started even when I was still going out to work.

@Susan, I'll try again with the 'positive thinking' approach.

@Nicole, when I was teachi
... See more
Thanks for all the suggestions.
@Texte Style, I knew that you shouldn't use onions which had been cut and then stored, but now I know why. I thought it was eating onions and garlic which kept bugs away. I'll definitely try that for next year.

@Tomas. I mix with the same people on a regular basis and the problem started even when I was still going out to work.

@Susan, I'll try again with the 'positive thinking' approach.

@Nicole, when I was teaching it was always the same at the end of a hectic term, I'd fall ill for the holidays, but never afterwards! I was always fit to go back to work for the new term.

In fact I think I'll try to arrange to hibernate and skip the whole winter thing, since I hate the cold, shorter days, and grey skies.
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
OK! Jan 4, 2013

Alison Sparks wrote:

I see! So mine was indeed a long, missed shot. Take care!

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:17
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Get an injection Jan 5, 2013

There are vaccinations against seasonal strains of influenza. In Finland you can buy your shot at the pharmacy and let your nurse inject it. But in your country perhaps you need a prescription. Do this in November already.
Vitamin C, garlic etc. do not help at all. Rather take a stroll daily or other exercise to keep you fit.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Holiday Jinx Strikes Again!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »