Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:58
French to English
onions and garlic Jan 5, 2013

Alison Sparks wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions.
@Texte Style, I knew that you shouldn't use onions which had been cut and then stored, but now I know why. I thought it was eating onions and garlic which kept bugs away. I'll definitely try that for next year.

I think if you cut and eat straightaway it can indeed help. They only absorb the bugs when cut.
I have also heard of people putting garlic on fungus-related skin complaints.

Alison Sparks (X)
Alison Sparks (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Onions Jan 6, 2013

Since getting all the suggestions which have been offered on this forum, I have done some research. Amongst other things I find that onions and garlic are from the same basic genus of plants.

It appears that raw onions can be very useful in the treatment of various "illnesses", as well as being well known antioxidants. Indeed, I remember my father telling me that in the 1930's earache was often treated with a piece of onion in the offending ear, bound into place and left 24 hours.
... See more
Since getting all the suggestions which have been offered on this forum, I have done some research. Amongst other things I find that onions and garlic are from the same basic genus of plants.

It appears that raw onions can be very useful in the treatment of various "illnesses", as well as being well known antioxidants. Indeed, I remember my father telling me that in the 1930's earache was often treated with a piece of onion in the offending ear, bound into place and left 24 hours. This may be an 'old wives tale' but seems to have some scientific basis according to some of the research that I have turned up.

However, the essential is apparently that the onion is raw when eaten and there is some scepticism about its use as a collector of microbes when not ingested. I intend to proceed with a few personal experiments, and hope to be rid of a number of persistent, minor health problems. Naturally enough these experiments will not be 'scientific' but it will be interesting to see if they have any effect in the various contexts which I have found through my searches.

If I come across anything 'amazing' I'll let you all know, as well as getting in touch with a scientific researcher, whom I know well, and asking for some additional input.

@Heinrich, I have double checked with various sources, and as far as I can ascertain there is no known inoculation for the novovirus, which by its very nature is volatile and unpredictable. Flu on the other hand can be prevented by an inoculation, but only if they've guessed which type is likely to be prevalent in any one year and provided the appropriate vaccine.

Thanks all, and here's to a healthy and wealthy 2013.
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:58
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Onions and garlic Jan 6, 2013

My theory regarding raw onions and garlic is that if you eat sufficient amounts, you will eventually start to smell like a goat, no one will want to get near you, which means that you are out of range of any of their germs and viruses.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
onions and garlic Jan 6, 2013

Nicole, thank you for a great laugh.

I read something a while back about the virtues of garlic, and how it can cure tons of things. If only it could be patented, it would crop up in all sorts of medication.

Alison, who cares if it's "scientific" if it works?

On a trip to India, I had a mosquito bite that got infected. A witch doctor at a stand in the market rubbed some disgusting black ointment on it, gave me a couple of paracetamol and charged me 5 rupe
... See more
Nicole, thank you for a great laugh.

I read something a while back about the virtues of garlic, and how it can cure tons of things. If only it could be patented, it would crop up in all sorts of medication.

Alison, who cares if it's "scientific" if it works?

On a trip to India, I had a mosquito bite that got infected. A witch doctor at a stand in the market rubbed some disgusting black ointment on it, gave me a couple of paracetamol and charged me 5 rupees. The next day it was better.
The guy I was travelling with had the same thing, except that the bite only started swelling in the plane home. He went to see a doctor near his office in the swank end of Paris, and paid a total of 500 francs (yes the story dates a bit) for a vast array of lotions and pills. I showed his prescription to some doctors I was teaching English too at the time, and they said that probably the doctor didn't know what the matter was and just prescribed as many things as he could think of in the hope that something would work. It took well over a month to clear up.
Collapse

Alison Sparks (X)
Alison Sparks (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yeh, too true! Jan 6, 2013

Thanks Nicole, but who says goats smell bad? The few goats I've had contact with have smelt rather nice, a bit like cows or donkeys! Anyway, it's exactly the same info I got too, but then I'd rather not be ill!!

People who drink excessively or have too many curries have the same problem, the smell comes out through the sweat. However, one of the essential ingredients of curry is turmeric (curcuma), another antioxidant, and well known as having beneficial digestive/liver protecti
... See more
Thanks Nicole, but who says goats smell bad? The few goats I've had contact with have smelt rather nice, a bit like cows or donkeys! Anyway, it's exactly the same info I got too, but then I'd rather not be ill!!

People who drink excessively or have too many curries have the same problem, the smell comes out through the sweat. However, one of the essential ingredients of curry is turmeric (curcuma), another antioxidant, and well known as having beneficial digestive/liver protection properties.

At least being freelance, I can actually decide to stay at home, or restrict my contact with folk, and you know what they say, even your best friend has trouble telling you you have BO, so you don't notice it yourself.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Holiday Jinx Strikes Again!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »