https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/300751-poll_which_age_range_do_you_belong_to.html&phpv_redirected=1

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Which age range do you belong to?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 10, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which age range do you belong to?".

This poll was originally submitted by Ravi Kumar. View the poll results »

Ilan Rubin (X)
Ilan Rubin (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:28
Russian to English
Where is... Apr 10, 2016

>100?

The world's most famous translator C-3PO was built 112 years before the Battle of Yavin (see http://www.yodasdatapad.com/ages.html )

[Edited at 2016-04-10 09:41 GMT]

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:28
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
;) Apr 10, 2016

Old enough to know what I'm doing, yet young enough to be flexible.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:28
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
61 to 80 Apr 10, 2016

Let’s say that I’m old enough to know what I'm doing and young enough to get it done.

Noura Tawil
Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 14:28
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
no 21-30? Apr 10, 2016

That would have been an interesting age range. Too bad it was included in a broader range!

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Interesting outcome so far Apr 10, 2016

Looks as though ProZ.com too has an aging population. Could be something needing to be addressed if the site's future is to be rosy.

Roni_S
Roni_S  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 13:28
Slovak to English
Age Apr 10, 2016

The age result leads me to belive that a good translator needs to have some experience in the real world - namely that you really should have lived for quite some time in a country where your source language is spoken as an official language. Language training at school along with translation theory is probably not enough. I would guess that comes with many years of experience, thus leaving out the 21-30 age range Not being ageist... See more
The age result leads me to belive that a good translator needs to have some experience in the real world - namely that you really should have lived for quite some time in a country where your source language is spoken as an official language. Language training at school along with translation theory is probably not enough. I would guess that comes with many years of experience, thus leaving out the 21-30 age range Not being ageist, though!Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Proz.com going the way of Japan Apr 10, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Looks as though ProZ.com too has an aging population. Could be something needing to be addressed if the site's future is to be rosy.

Sharp-eyed as always, Sheila!

Perhaps the 21-30 year-old crowd are hanging in other social media.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Do our oldest members attempt to conceal their age? Apr 10, 2016

I'm 84 and I don't, but I've sometimes wondered if potential clients reading my CV think I am in my dotage. I don't see how I could anyway without falsifying my CV or drastically reducing it.

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I'm 10 years younger Apr 10, 2016

Jack Doughty wrote:

I'm 84 and I don't, but I've sometimes wondered if potential clients reading my CV think I am in my dotage. I don't see how I could anyway without falsifying my CV or drastically reducing it.

I don’t conceal my age, but I don't volunteer it either! My CV says that I started freelancing after 20 years service with the EESC (an EU institution) and that I started working in 1968. Why mention it? Let them do the maths!

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Speaking of CVs Apr 10, 2016

Teresa Borges wrote:

Jack Doughty wrote:

I don’t conceal my age, but I don't volunteer it either! My CV says that I started freelancing after 20 years service with the EESC (an EU institution) and that I started working in 1968. Why mention it? Let them do the maths!

An employment counselor once advised me to include in my CV the last 10 years of my achievements and leave out the rest. There are two advantages to this approach:

1) It keeps the CV updated and relevant
2) It keeps the CV short and sweet

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Speaking of CVs... Apr 10, 2016

Mario Chavez wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

Jack Doughty wrote:

An employment counselor once advised me to include in my CV the last 10 years of my achievements and leave out the rest. There are two advantages to this approach:

If I were to do that, then I would be excluding the most important 20 years of my professional life as a translator...

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Only one rule for a professional's CV Apr 10, 2016

Teresa Borges wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

Jack Doughty wrote:

If I were to do that, then I would be excluding the most important 20 years of my professional life as a translator...

Include everything that's relevant to your potential clients; exclude everything else. A freelance translator's CV is all about what you can offer the client. What has date to do with that?

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:28
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
50 Apr 10, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

Jack Doughty wrote:

Include everything that's relevant to your potential clients; exclude everything else. A freelance translator's CV is all about what you can offer the client. What has date to do with that?

Totally agree, Sheila. Although I do not conceal my age, and never have.
BTW, I am surprised with the results. I thought I was getting old among the translators community, but I see it's not true now.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Different CV approaches for different marketplaces Apr 10, 2016

Teresa:

If your local clients consider indispensable to see everything you've ever studied and done as a translator included in your CV, by all means, go back all the decades you need.

Sheila:

There's no such thing as one rule for anything. If your approach is what is locally effective, keep doing it, but don't fall into the trap of recommending it as a universal standard for the whole world.

That's why I wrote based on the advice given
... See more
Teresa:

If your local clients consider indispensable to see everything you've ever studied and done as a translator included in your CV, by all means, go back all the decades you need.

Sheila:

There's no such thing as one rule for anything. If your approach is what is locally effective, keep doing it, but don't fall into the trap of recommending it as a universal standard for the whole world.

That's why I wrote based on the advice given me regarding CVs. I never said that it's advice that everyone on the planet should follow!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which age range do you belong to?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »