Post-graduate translation qualifications: DipTrans & MA
This webinar puts the MA and DipTrans qualifications under the microscope. It will take a critical look at what is involved in obtaining these expensive and time-consuming post-graduate qualifications, with the aim of helping attendees to select the right qualification for their professional needs.
The webinar opens with an overview of qualifications in terms of translation and discusses factors that you need to take into account when selecting a post-graduate course. It will then focus on the Diploma in translation (available from the Chartered Institute of Linguists) and the MA qualification (available from UK universities). We will contrast what is involved in obtaining these qualifications, look at some of the pros and cons, and discuss what you can expect to get out of them. Some alternatives to these two options are also considered.
Attendees should come away with clearer ideas on the best route for them regarding their professional development.
Please note that the main qualifications under discussion are issued by UK institutions, although MAs can be taken on-line outside the UK, and the Diploma in Translation exam can be sat at examination centres abroad. The webinar discusses translation-related MA courses in general. The speaker will offer an unbiased perspective to try to help attendees make an objective decision. She will draw from her own experience, having completed the DipTrans and two translation-related MAs.
- Translators from any country considering taking a UK-based, post-graduate qualification in translation
- Students from any country considering taking a UK-based, post-graduate qualification in translation
In this course you will:
- consider qualifications in terms of the needs of a professional translator;
- learn about the pros and cons of doing post-graduate, translation qualifications;
- find out more about what’s involved in getting the DipTrans qualification;
- find out more about what’s involved in getting the MA qualification;
- discover alternative options;
- be encouraged to select qualifications based on your own professional profile and goals.
No previous knowledge or experience is required, but attendees are reminded that the main focus is UK-based, translation-related, post-graduate qualifications.
Click to expand
- Why consider translation-related qualifications?
- Things to take into account when thinking about doing translation qualifications
- MA and DipTrans at a glance
- Focus on the DipTrans
- Focus on the MA
- Other options and specialisation
- Which is most suitable for you?
Software and system requirements (click to expand)
Click to expand
ProZ.com videos require a current flash player. Update here: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
With low bandwidth Internet connections the video playback may buffer and load slowly, in this case we recommend you wait the whole or most part of the video to load before playing.
Registration and payment information (click to expand)
Click to expand
Price: 15.00 USD
Click on the buy button on the right to purchase your seat Participation fee includes unlimited access to the recording. How do I purchase the video? To purchase your seat at this session please click on the "buy" button. After your payment is received, your status will be changed to “registered and paid” and an invoice and receipt of payment will be sent to you for your records. How do I access the video? Once the payment is processed you will be able to watch the video here
Gwenydd Jones View feedback | View all courses
Comments about this course
To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:
You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »
This discussion can also be accessed via the ProZ.com forum pages.