Some of these cookies are essential to the operation of the site,
while others help to improve your experience by providing insights into how the site is being used.
More than 15 years of experience. Former translator in the United Nations.
FULL-TIME freelance translator, full customer service, always available to answer inquires during and outside GMT business hours (including via Skype). Intra-community VAT number Compliance with EN 15038 (formal higher education plus more than 15 years of documented professional experience in translation) Trados Studio 2019 and 2014 and Trados 8 (2007) E-mail: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
*** No work outsourced to other translators nor use of cloud platforms (which breaches work confidentiality, non-disclosure agreements and personal data regulations). No use of machine translation. ***
International experience and culturally knowledgeable: Lived abroad in the USA, Dominican Republic, East Timor, Ireland, Netherlands, Guinea-Bissau, Switzerland and France. Travelled in more 50 countries.
My areas of specialization are:
- Machinery and tools/Automotive
- Corporate materials (human resources, training, internal magazines/newsletters, company procedures, etc.)
- International affairs/Development/Government/European Union/United Nations
- Cross-cultural consulting, localization
- Art and Culture
- Social Sciences (History, Sociology, Archeology)
- Website contents
- General subjects
SOME of my JOBS
- Reports/communication materials for UNFPA, UNIFEM, UNICEF, UNDP, OECD, WHO, ILO, UNIDO, World Bank, ICTJ, UNEP, UNOV, UNRIC, UN-Habitat, UNODC, UNHCR
- CEDAW country report for East Timor, Millennium Development Goals reports, several documents for the Rio+20 conference
- Reports of the United Nations Secretary-General
- Reports for several ministries in East Timor (finance, education, defense)
- Reports for several international NGOs, like Care, Concern, Plan and Path (including security in the field online training website, pedagogy documents, training materials)
- Reports for AUSaid
- Reports for Amnesty International
- Reports for the European Union Electoral Observation Mission in East Timor for the Parliamentary and Presidential elections
- Press releases, brochures, website contents, directives, non-discrimination, torture, children's rights and sustainable development reports for the European Commission
- Eurobarometer and World Bank questionnaires
See also the tabs "Work in Timor" and "In-house posts" (United Nations) for more details about my work in this field.
- Company internal magazines and newsletters
- PowerPoint presentations on corporate messages, company presentations, products, services, etc.
- Press releases
- Corporate websites
- Training materials and HR documents
- Documents on internal procedures
- Codes of conduct and codes of ethics, documents/training materials on anticorruption, mutual respect, confidentiality, conflict of interest, anti-bribery, corporate fraud, etc.
- Marketing and advertising campaigns (including translation of TV and print media ads, product packages, promotional websites, promotional printed materials, etc.)
- Evaluation of product names and taglines in terms of cultural sensitivity- Transcreation and copywriting
- Cultural consultancy on expressions and concepts for brands/product names development
I have worked as journalist from 1998 to 2000. See tab Journalism for more details.
- Clinical trials (questionnaires for patients and doctors, consent forms, protocols, study agreements, reports on clinical trials results, etc.)
- IFU for pacemakers and stents
- Surgical instruments and implant tools
- Ophthalmology: magazine, lenses production machinery
- Immunodeficiency magazine
- Surgery: user manual for surgical loupes and cameras, tools (IFU)
- Documentation on multiple sclerosis
- Marketing materials for pharmaceutical companies on their drugs
- User manuals, list of instruments and other documents on bone implants
- User and installation manuals, and software strings for medical devices for laboratory tests
- User and installation manuals for biological filtering devices
- User and installation manuals for X-ray devices
- Operations manual for imaging devices
- Document on genetic diseases
- Website for brand of male enhancement products
- Document on puberty
- Drugs descriptions and QRD templates
- Dental implants (tools and procedures) and dental care products
- Cosmetic product brochures, ads and marketing materials for several companies (anti-aging products and treatments, spa treatments, face cosmetics, hair care products, etc.)
See also the tab "In-house posts" (Medtronic) for more details about my work in this field.
- Automotive: Reparation manuals, resolution of mechanical problems, list of tools, marketing materials, internal documents (human resources, training, etc.), press releases, website contents and company magazines for major car makers and car components manufacturers; website for a car reparation products company (I have a glossary with over 3000 terms in this field)
- User and installation manuals for weighting machines
- Technical manuals and marketing materials for die cutters
- User and installation manuals for measuring machines
- User and installation manuals, and website for manufacturer of wind turbines
- User manual for horizontal machining centers
- Operation manuals and company magazine for a manufacturer of forklifts, hydraulic excavators and trucks
- Website for heavy agricultural machinery
- Website for construction machinery
- Operation manual for a pressure washer
- Company magazine and marketing materials for gases production company
- Operation manual for bag dischargers
I have a four years university degree in Art History and have also studied painting at the Fine Arts School of Oporto. I have 3 years of music studies also.