I have been working as a full-time, freelance translator since November 2008, gaining experience in most translation fields. I am also fully qualified in translation, having been awarded the Chartered Institute of Linguists’ Diploma in Translation in May 2015.I specialise in business, finance, legal, insurance and EU-related texts, but I also have substantial experience in academic and general translation.
Business and Finance Translation
The majority of the documents I have translated fall into the general category of business, finance and management (including accounting, human resources, international trade and taxation). Examples of large and/or ongoing projects include:
* minutes of Board of Directors, Audit and Control Committee and Nominations and Remuneration Committee meetings for a Property Investment Trust in line with CNMV regulations (100,000+ words since November 2015).
* regular annual accounts for Spanish companies complying with the Plan General de Contabilidad, comprising balance sheets, profit and loss statements, etc.
* a long-term project for a major global bank based in Spain and its back office subsidiary, comprising management presentations, internal correspondence, job specifications, human resources policies, financial news articles for internal publications, and various documents relating to the bank’s university funding and sports sponsorship activities (c. 400,000 words between July 2010-September 2012);
* public documents on debt securities for a Spanish Ministry (50,000 words).
I have substantial experience in translating all kinds of insurance policies and related documents, specifically in the fields of health, liability, construction, shipping, aircraft and motor insurance:
* Health insurance policies and advertising materials for a major Spanish medical insurance company (400,000+ words since November 2008);
* Liability insurance policies and other documents for the branches in Spain of UK-based insurance companies (300,000+ words), including documents on the consequences of Brexit for those companies, their Spanish coverholders and Spanish policyholders.
I have significant experience in the field of legal translation, including:
* Standard legal documents for companies: articles of association, lease agreements, service level agreements, service provision agreements, sales agreements;
* Standard legal documents for individuals: educational certificates, employers’ references, marriage certificates, divorce settlements, powers of attorney, police record checks, etc;
* Judgments issued by different types of court in Spain, including rulings related to the Catalan referendum 2017.
European Union translation
Through two agencies, I have translated more than 175,000 words for the following European Union Directorates: Agricultural and Rural Development; Competition; Economic and Financial Affairs; Employment; Social Affairs and Inclusion; Environment; Information Society and Media; Mobility and Transport; and Taxation and Customs Union.
Through another agency, I have translated nearly 60,000 words for a Spanish Ministry related to its responses to the European Union’s proposed reform of the Common Agricultural Policy and to reports on the accounts of Paying Agencies.
I have translated texts across a wide range of subjects including agriculture, development, education, food, gastronomy, history, livestock, media and communications, sport, tourism, wine and many others besides. Examples of the more interesting large or ongoing projects include:
* Qualification and race reports, interviews, opinion columns and feature articles for the website of a major Formula One sponsor during the entire 2011 season (c. 50,000 words).
* Various documents for a Spanish comedy film released in 2015 (website, press releases, crowdfunding materials, offer to American investors, translation of some of the script and revision of whole translated script);
* Responsibility for the English section of an annual multi-lingual gastronomy magazine (articles on chefs, restaurants, wine, tourism, etc., (2010-2014)
I have also translated a number of academic articles drawing on my experience as a former University lecturer across both humanities and social science subjects, including:
* a discussion of the concept of “asymmetric conflict” relating to the war in Iraq;
* a comparison of the work of 2 postmodernist sculptors (1 Basque, 1 American);
* an analysis of cultural identity in the work of a major Basque sculptor;
* a discussion of the theme of tradition vs modernity in post-war Spanish rural architecture (two articles for the same client);
* an analysis of anarcho-syndicalist cinema during the Spanish civil war;
* an article on the urban geography of modern social movements in Spain (the indignados, the anti-eviction demonstrations, the Podemos party);
* two articles on Spanish republican prisoners in German concentration camps during the Second World War;
* an article on the importance of location in destination management taking tourist accommodation in Santiago de Compostela as a case study.
Pro bono translation
I have worked for Translators Without Borders (http://translatorswithoutborders.com/), producing translations on development issues for the Spanish subsidiaries of NGOs such as Action Against Hunger and Medecines Sans Frontieres.