Some of these cookies are essential to the operation of the site,
while others help to improve your experience by providing insights into how the site is being used.
Source text - English Source: an excerpt from an interview with Ralph Lauren.
1. Having been in the fashion business for over 40 years, you have succeeded in building your empire that has led the path to lifestyle merchandising and paved the way for imitators. Does this winning formula still work in your empire nowadays?
I am proud of what my company has accomplished over the last 40 years. It continues to attract customer across the continents and cultures with its designs of elegance, quality and timeless style. The passion my employees and I have for elevating the Ralph Lauren brands around the world remains our most powerful driving force. Based on a deep understanding of our customers’ desire for products that epitomize sophistication and a luxury lifestyle, the brand continues to develop sought after products with our world-class design and marketing strategies.
2. As you are known for designing clothes for people who are concerned about lifestyle rather than fashion, and most importantly, focusing on the cultural aspects of America, how do you view your work in relation to society? Does the image of America in these years affect your business?
America has so much to offer. It has indescribable beauty and spirit. American lifestyles inspire me, whether it is the west, the New England coast, Native American culture or Hollywood glamour. My designs and ads are a reflection of how people live.
3. Of all the accomplishments you’ve achieved in your life so far, which is most memorable?
I built a company that started with a tie and built it into a brand that spans merchandise for men, women, children, home, and fragrance too. It is incredible and it’s an accomplishment.
4. Have you ever thought of retirement?
For me work is part of what I live for. And I think if I cut that off, I’d be cutting off part of my soul. And when I can no longer be interested in it and don’t want to do it, then I’d know it’s the right time.
5. What is your greatest pleasure in life?
My work is my greatest pleasure, which started from the first tie 40 years ago, to the last thing that walked down the runway – you use your instincts. You do what you believe in.
I am a versatile Chinese–English and English–Chinese freelance translator trained in translation at post-graduate level (PgD. in translation) with additional solid academic (M.A. in linguistics) and practical backgrounds in a broad range of disciplines, including science, information technology, linguistics, music, drama and special education. I have on-going working relationships with several agencies and direct clients. On top of the high accuracy, my translations have been positively commented for their fluency and naturalness. Services include translation, editing and proofreading. I would be happy to do test translations, while low-priority projects are also welcome.
This user has earned KudoZ points by helping other translators with PRO-level terms. Click point total(s) to see term translations provided.