● Bilingual (English/Chinese) professional with effective communication skills with passion for international cultures and technology, and excels in a dynamic international corporate environment;
● English and Chinese news reporter and editor with 5 years working experience in the US branches of two major Chinese language newspapers.
● Ability to thrive under pressure and function effectively in a fast-paced environment, providing strong leadership skills, prioritizing, problem-solving, and managing multiple tasks simultaneously. Adept at dealing with crisis;
● Managing projects effectively to meet deadlines.
Mother Tongue: Chinese
University of California, Santa Barbara, CA, M.A. in Comparative Literature Sept.2006
● Fields: English, Chinese, Dramatic Arts
Fudan University, Shanghai, China,
● B.A. in Chinese Language and Literature July, 2003
● Minor Certificate in International Business June, 2003
Certificate of Advanced interpreter (Chinese/English) in Shanghai, China, 2003
Paralegal Certificate of Achievement-Advanced. De Anza College, Cupertino, 2012
2008-present, Senior Reporter, Sing Tao Newspapers, San Francisco, USA
● Proactively report political, community and technology news, interview people in English and Chinese, translate their statements into traditional Chinese to develop daily news articles; Conduct projects of in-depth news report and feature stories, incorporating personal interviews, research, analysis, translation and writing;Shoot and edit photos/videos; Edit and prepare video news clips for Sing Tao Daily website.
2007-2008, Editor, Sing Tao Newspapers, San Francisco, USA
● Select and assign news articles in English to contracted translators.
● Edit, proofread and choose titles for news articles; collect material in Chinese and English and compile into stories; Edit and proofread submitted stories by columnists and freelancers.
Jan. 2003-Jul. 2003, Jul. 2002-Aug. 2002
Reporter and Editor Intern, Shanghai Evening Post., Shanghai, China
English to Chinese:
● Translated into Chinese(traditional) Alameda County local ballot measures for November 2008 general election. I was one of the five translators under the supervision of Maurice Chuck, who was contracted by the county to provide Mandarin and Cantonese translation of election materials. (Aug.2008)
● Two stories by British writer H. H. Munro, which was included in the published translation of Saki’s Short Stories (Shanghai, 2003).
Chinese to English:
Translated into English “Red Firecracker, Green Firecracker”, a short story by Chinese novelist Feng Jicai. (Translation workshop project, UCSB, 2005)
Honors & Awards
New American Media (North California) Award,
First-Place Winner, Investigative/In-Depth Story (July, 2012)
First-Place Winner, Best Story in Inter-Ethnic Relations (Mar. 2009)
Northern California Chinese Media Association (NCCMA) Award.
First Runner-Up Best News Editor, (Sep. 2008)
Chancellor’s Fellowships, UCSB (2003-2006)