Some of these cookies are essential to the operation of the site,
while others help to improve your experience by providing insights into how the site is being used.
Chinese to English (Shanghai Interpretation Credential, Advanced Level) English to Chinese (Shanghai Interpretation Credential, Advanced Level)
Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Idiom, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, SDL TRADOS, Wordfast
● Bilingual (English/Chinese) professional with effective communication skills with passion for international cultures and technology, and excels in a dynamic international corporate environment;
● English and Chinese news reporter and editor with 5 years working experience in the US branches of two major Chinese language newspapers.
● Ability to thrive under pressure and function effectively in a fast-paced environment, providing strong leadership skills, prioritizing, problem-solving, and managing multiple tasks simultaneously. Adept at dealing with crisis;
● Managing projects effectively to meet deadlines.
Mother Tongue: Chinese
University of California, Santa Barbara, CA, M.A. in Comparative Literature Sept.2006
● Fields: English, Chinese, Dramatic Arts
Fudan University, Shanghai, China,
● B.A. in Chinese Language and Literature July, 2003
● Minor Certificate in International Business June, 2003
Certificate of Advanced interpreter (Chinese/English) in Shanghai, China, 2003
Paralegal Certificate of Achievement-Advanced. De Anza College, Cupertino, 2012
2008-present, Senior Reporter, Sing Tao Newspapers, San Francisco, USA
● Proactively report political, community and technology news, interview people in English and Chinese, translate their statements into traditional Chinese to develop daily news articles; Conduct projects of in-depth news report and feature stories, incorporating personal interviews, research, analysis, translation and writing;Shoot and edit photos/videos; Edit and prepare video news clips for Sing Tao Daily website.
2007-2008, Editor, Sing Tao Newspapers, San Francisco, USA
● Select and assign news articles in English to contracted translators.
● Edit, proofread and choose titles for news articles; collect material in Chinese and English and compile into stories; Edit and proofread submitted stories by columnists and freelancers.
Jan. 2003-Jul. 2003, Jul. 2002-Aug. 2002
Reporter and Editor Intern, Shanghai Evening Post., Shanghai, China
English to Chinese:
● Translated into Chinese(traditional) Alameda County local ballot measures for November 2008 general election. I was one of the five translators under the supervision of Maurice Chuck, who was contracted by the county to provide Mandarin and Cantonese translation of election materials. (Aug.2008)
● Two stories by British writer H. H. Munro, which was included in the published translation of Saki’s Short Stories (Shanghai, 2003).
Chinese to English:
Translated into English “Red Firecracker, Green Firecracker”, a short story by Chinese novelist Feng Jicai. (Translation workshop project, UCSB, 2005)
Honors & Awards
New American Media (North California) Award,
First-Place Winner, Investigative/In-Depth Story (July, 2012)
First-Place Winner, Best Story in Inter-Ethnic Relations (Mar. 2009)
Northern California Chinese Media Association (NCCMA) Award.
First Runner-Up Best News Editor, (Sep. 2008)
Chancellor’s Fellowships, UCSB (2003-2006)