Some of these cookies are essential to the operation of the site,
while others help to improve your experience by providing insights into how the site is being used.
Spanish to English - Rates: 0.05 - 0.12 EUR per word / 0 - 0 EUR per hour Catalan to English - Rates: 0.05 - 0.12 EUR per word / 0 - 0 EUR per hour French to English - Rates: 0.05 - 0.12 EUR per word / 0 - 0 EUR per hour Catalan to French - Rates: 0.05 - 0.12 EUR per word / 0 - 0 EUR per hour
As a translator and interpreter, I have over ten years experience of working in multi-lingual situations, and a high level of fluency in Spanish, French and Catalan. Having worked abroad in various positions, I have acquired essential skills that allow me to provide an excellent service. I have special expertise in the technical translation areas of medicine and pharmaceuticals, as well as leisure and tourism, education, literature, building/construction machinery, and legal contracts. I have worked both in the UK and abroad to provide translation and interpreting services. I have lived abroad in France and Spain (for 10 years) which has enabled me to gain great insight into both the culture and languages of both countries. Since my return to the UK I take frequent trips to these countries and keep up to date with their respective news and events.
I work from the following languages into my native language (English):
Catalan, French and Spanish
UNED : Universidad Nacional de Educación a Distancia, Madrid 2009 - 2010
Masters in technical translation.
Specialist in Translation English-Spanish. Technical translation: Medical/Scientific
Especialista Universitaria en Traducción Inglés-Español.
Universidad de las Islas Baleares. UIB: (University of the Balearic Islands) 2004 - 2005
CAP: Certificado de Aptidud Pedagógica
Grade: Postgraduate Studies Certificate in Education, (PGCE)
Work experience gained teaching in 'Instituto de Educación Secundario Politécnic' Palma.
University of Ulster 1999 - 2003
Coleraine, Northern Ireland
Grade: BA Honours degree in Humanities Combined
- French language and literature with intercalary year abroad in France.
- European Studies, culture and politics and economy. Media Studies.
University of Ulster 1998 - 1999
Foundation Studies in Art and Design
Grade: Foundation Studies in Art and Design
1991 - 1998 United Kingdom
Secondary Education, GCSEs and A-LEVELS
Grade: A-Levels: Art and Design, French, History, and 10 GCSEs including triple award science.
Membership of Professional Bodies:
● Member of the Institute of Translation and Interpreting (ITI) www.iti.org.uk
● Professional member of the Asociación Española de Traductores, Correctores e Intérpretes (Asetrad) www.asetrad.org
● Professional member of Translators Work
● Certified pro member of Proz.com.
● GTCNI: General Teaching Council of Northern Ireland
I have approximately 10 years of experience of working in the world of translation and interpreting. I have been working full-time as a professional freelance translator and interpreter for the last five years, alongside other contracted work including teaching and training for both public and private bodies.
My work includes a great deal of medical, pharmaceutical and scientific translations. I have been involved in ongoing Catalan-English translation work for the Catalonian Government, tourism for both French and Spanish markets, construction/auction company translation and in person consecutive interpreting, and general legal documents and various website translations. I also enjoy literary, art and cultural projects.
Approximate word count of 1990,000 words over 5 years.
Maximum output approximately 3,200 words/day depending on text.
Continued Professional Development (CPD) formation, skills and achievements:
● JORNADAS CIENTÍFICAS Y PROFESIONALES DE TRADUCCIÓN MÉDICA. Barcelona, 20-23rd September 2012. Organised by APTIC and Trémedica (10 CPD points from: ATA, La Federación Nacional de Asociaciones de Trabajadores Autónomos)
● Medical Translation: Multiple Translation Content and Formats. Webinar (1 hour CDP)
● Medical Translation: Health Care and Health Insurance. Webinar (1 hour CPD)
● Medical Translation: The Social Aspect of Healthcare. Webinar (1 hour CPD)
● Lecture: Blood borne viruses training for translators and interpreters. Diversity NI event, Postgrad. Centre, Belfast City Hospital. 26/06/2012 (4 hours CPD)
● Contracts and Contract Formation for Legal Translators. ITI Webinar: (1hour CPD) 26/06/2012
● The English Legal System for Legal Interpreters and Translators. ITI Webinar: (2 hours CDP) 28/06/2012
● Criminal Law and Proceedure for Legal Interpreters and Translators. ITI Webinar: (2 hours CPD) 03/07/2012
● Reinforcing Spanish Skills Webinar 15/05/2012 (1 hours CPD)
● Professional Conduct and Ethics for Interpreters and Translators. ITI Webinar: (1hour CPD) 11/05/2012
● Medical Translation. Institute of Translation and Interpreting: Webinar: (1 hour CPD) 26/04/2012
● Ongoing interest in medical translation coming from a long family background in medicine, continued personal development includes reading British Medical Journals and publications. I have studied the following publications:
- ‘Clinical Physiology’ edited by Campbell Dickenson and Slater, 3rd Edition.
- Pocket Consultant ‘Cardiology’ by R.H Swanton. Blackwell Scienfic Publications, 2nd Edition.
- ‘A Primer of Medicine’ by M.H. Pappworth, 3rd Edition
Continual Reference Guides: ‘Grays Anatomy’, ‘Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine’ 5th Edition. ‘The Merk Manual’ 13th Edition. To mention but a few amongst a very large supply of resources I have available.
● April 2011 Attendance of SMOPYC Construction and Building materials fair in Valencia.
● La Escritura en el Aula Escolar. UNED (10 hours CPD) 21/01/2009
● Computer Skills: Microsoft Office, (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) Intranet systems, Internet, web page writing tools, KANA systems, translation programs, eg, SDL Trados proficient, MemoQ and WordfastPro.
● Music: Piano (ABRSM Grades 1-8) Violin (ABRSM Grades 1-6) Theory of Music (ABRSM Grade 5)
● Duke of Edinburgh Award, Silver Award.
● Sailing and Watersports: Sailing RYA Dinghy Instructor Certificate. Participation in J24 European Championships September 2011 Howth Yacht Club, Co.Dublin. Continued participation in Irish and British National Events. Member of LEYC (Lough Erne Yacht Club).
Keywords: catalan, medical, legal, general, spanish, french, literature, machinery, food and drink, menu, uk, translator, freelance, united kingdom, belfast, spain, català, medicine, contract, literature, book, pages, english, website, webpage, company, book, libro, palabras, words, Spanish, English, traducción, traducción literaria, comunicaciones escritas, contenidos web, ciencias sociales, educación, ayuda humanitaria, NGOs ONGs, translation, translator, editing, fine arts, social sciences, education, history, exhibition catalogues, gastronomía, journalism, periodismo, corporate responsibility, ecology, book editing, humanities, history, eco-tourism, sustainable development, conservation, Spain, Latin America, cinema, script translation, subtitling, Mudejar, Mozarabic, Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, painting, sculpture, Carolignian, Churrigueresque, Art Nouveau, Modernismo, Barcelona, Aragon, Arts and Crafts Movement, politics, ASETRAD, ASATI, Mediterranean Editors and Translators, MET, Fine Arts, photography, Human Resources, Recursos Humanos, Belles Artes, periodismo, materiales didácticas para museos, catalogos, galerias de arte, museos, responsabilidad corporativa, América Latina, international cooperation, cooperación internacional, historia, trial, research, patient information, native, leaflet, patents, drugs, hospital, pharmaceutical, certified, Xarxa, XARXATIV, President, American Translators' Association, ASETRAD, speaker, ponente, Cardenal Herrera, Porto, Barcelona, Valencia, Universidad de Alicante, Universitat de Alacant, Alicante, Valencia University, University of Valencia, Universitat de Valéncia, Universidad de Valencia, Universidad Politécnica de Cartagena, Universidad de Córdoba, Universidad de Granada, ESADE, engineering, Glokalize, Spanish to English, español al inglés, Catalan to English, Catalán al inglés, Català al inglés, medical terminology, Spanish Domino, writer, journalist, native, translator, interpreter, UEM, junta, board, travel, tourism, tourist, author, escritor, periodista, EUROFRESH, specialist, technical, scientific, medical, científico, técnico, técnica, médico, traducción médica, Chronicle, article, Demystifying Medical, Kindle, ebook, Spain, UK, politics, Spanish Domino, Governmentspeak, Airspeak, PDTO, Mafiocracy, Officialitus, 24/7, Glokalize, Contact Language, Bridging Cultures, press release, nota de prensa, legal document, contract, subtitles, subtitling, audiovisual, el cliente siempre tiene razón, scientific translation, tips for, medical translation, technical translation, engineering, economics, research, university, journal, international, politics, earth translations, expat, court, sports, website, web page, Active English, economía, revista, investigación, web, universitaria, universidad, literature, literatura, organizer, vice-presidente, vicepresident, vice-president, association, La Xarxa, Mediterranean Editors and Translators, MET, author, writer, Lost in Spain, IAPTI, Spanish Domino, Athens, Lenguanding, Valenguando, Lenguando, Scientific and Technical Translation, glokalize, SELM, Valencia, Seville, Barcelona, traducción científica, tourism, turismo, Mediterranean Editors and Translators