MOHAMMED ZEKI MAJEED
144 Argie Avenue, Leeds, LS4 2TZ, UK
Skype ID: mohammedmajeed5959
A reliable, committed and passionate linguist with sound academic qualifications
within Translation Studies (English-Arabic), Public Service Interpreting and ESL
teaching: valuable work exposure to
language interpreting and translation within legal,
technical, business, tourism, local government and medical industries: strong
interpreting, translation and teaching capacities: sound client relationship
management, customer service and liaison skills: effective communication,
social intelligence and cross-cultural competencies.
· Sound theoretical and functional foundations within Defence, Public Service
Interpreting and Translation Studies
(English-Arabic), with valuable work exposure to language interpreting and translation
within Defense, legal, technical, business, tourism and medical
· Dedicated MA and ESL lecturer for UK MA (Translation Studies) Students and young
adults at university level. Strong interpreting, translation and teaching
capacities; expert in court interpreting; competent in conference interpreting
for business and financial matters; proficient in developing subtitles for
documentaries and films.
· Sound client relationship management, customer service
and liaison skills; effective in developing and maintaining good relationships
with clients and business partners; delivers best in class output and services
to all stakeholders.
· Effective communication, social intelligence and
cross-cultural competencies; determines the deeper meaning of what is being expressed; connects to others in a
direct way; senses and stimulates reactions and desired interactions; operates
in different cultural settings.
Education and Qualifications
The University of Portsmouth, UK
MA - Applied Linguistics (Translation Studies), English-Arabic
TESOL Teacher Training
TEFL 120 hours, Level 6 Certificate in English Teaching
South Tyneside College, South Shields, UK
Diploma - Public Service Interpreting in Law
South Tyneside College, South Shields, UK
Diploma - Public Service Interpreting in Health
• Spoken to / interpreted face to face for the British
Prime Minster, Theresa May whilst she was on a visit around the Middle East
(2017) visiting the British Army.
• Full time Arabic linguist providing interpreting and translation services to the British Army overseas through the Thebigword company, 2017.
• One of the main Arabic translators for the Scottish Criminal Justice System, 2014-present. This includes translating court orders, court reports, court citations, witness services, sentences, child protection, social services, police interviews, local council, hospital documents, etc.
• Conference interpreting at the ICC (International Chamber of Commerce), Paris - France, 2012. The nature of this assignment was for business and financial purposes.
• Consecutive interpreting in Istanbul, Turkey for UK Ministry of Defense in collaboration with UK Ministry of Justice and Metropolitan Police, in relation to Iraqi cases involving consecutive interpreting for Iraqi witnesses/victims (2011).
• Court interpreting at the DIFC (Dubai International Financial centre), Dubai – UAE, 2013. The nature of this assignment was for banking, financial and business matters in Dubai.
2019 - present
Cultural Advisor at the Qatari Navy Special Forces HQ in Doha
Facilitate communication between military diving instructors and members of the Qatari Special Forces. This includes interpreting theory based military diving lessons; translation of teaching instructions, PPTs and manuals of military re-breather diving sets, such as LAR 5 & LAR 6; and taking part in practical military sub-surface diving excursions in the Gulf.
2018 - present
Part time university lecturer at The University of Hull, teaching MA students English-Arabic translation: Literary Translation Module and Technical Translation Module.
2018 - 2019
External Marker for the University of Hull, Translation Studies for MA students.
2017 - present
ITI Examiner/Assessor: Assisting in assessments' marking of prospective MITI translator members English>Arabic language combination.
2017 - 2019
Full time Arabic linguist providing interpreting and translation services to the British Army overseas through the Thebigword company.
My roles and responsibilities involved the following duties:
• Iraqi Army Bomb Disposal School BDS: Facilitated communication between British Forces personnel and Iraqi EOD instructors by assisting in theory based lessons and translating teaching instructions, POIs and PPTs. Assisted with upgrading the school’s EOD curriculum status to IMAS 9, Level 4 & 5.
• C-IED courses: Detect, Defeat, and IHAT Courses
• Combat Life Saver courses (Basic & Intermediate)
• Took part as a Cultural Adviser in Key Leader Engagement KLE meetings between the UK Training Team (UKTT) and Iraqi Officers and Generals.
2015 - 2017
• English Lecturer at Sulaiman al-Rajhi Private Colleges, Bukayriah, al-Qassim, Saudi Arabia.
- ESL Instructor and coordinator– Sattam Bin Abdul-Aziz University- Riyadh/al-Kharj - Saudi Arabia, teaching Reading and Writing skills, and Listening and Speaking skills.
2004 – Present
West Yorkshire Police Dept., West Yorkshire, Great Britain, UK
• Assists with recorded police interviews to facilitate communication; coordinate statement taking from witnesses/victims for police translations.
• Undertakes translations for a number of police forces.
2004 - present
Public Service / Home Office Interpreter
• Member, Institute of Translation and Interpreting (MITI), 2008 - present
• Member, National Register for Public Service Interpreters (NRPSI), 2005 - Present
• Member, Asylum and Immigration Tribunal panel of interpreters, 2006 - 2013
• Home office registered interpreter, 2007 – Present
References and testimonials available upon request.
My profile is available on Proz.com and LinkedIn.
Nationality: British citizenship
Marital status: married with 2 children
Date of Availability: ASAP