Problem using external hard drive to transfer updated TMs from mainframe to laptop - Wordfast 5
Thread poster: Jack Dunwell
Jack Dunwell
Jack Dunwell  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:42
French to English
+ ...
Jul 2, 2019

I have transferred 5 TMs to use on holiday onto a Toshiba 3.0 Hard drive
When I try to load them onto laptop via Wordfast they don't show
What might I be doing wrong? Please!?

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Load? Jul 3, 2019

What do you mean when you say 'load'?
Do you mean "set them for use in Wordfast by accessing them directly from the Ext HD"?
It's not really a brilliant idea to work in W/F with TMs on an external drive, so maybe you'd do better to copy the files directly onto the laptop and use them from there?

Philippe Locquet

Jack Dunwell
Jack Dunwell  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Tony....Hard drive Jul 3, 2019

So an external hard drive is not a good idea to work between 2 computers? I thought it would be a better way than just Dropbox, giving back-up AND inter-operability....so not ......OK I'll try copying onto laptop. Jack

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:42
English to French
+ ...
Use remote solutions Jul 4, 2019

fourth wrote:

I thought it would be a better way than just Dropbox, giving back-up AND inter-operability....so not

Hi Jack,

For the use case you describe, Wordfast already gives you steady options for doing this. You can use two different systems:

1_Use Wordfast Anywhere as a TM and Glossary remote hosting service: Convert your TMs to TMX or wftm and upload them there. As long as you have an internet connection, your TMs and glossaries will be updated as you work. This allows many computers with WFPro5 or 3 installs to share the same TMs and glossaries. It's free a long as you have a valid license for Pro 5 or 3. See my tutorial on this here: https://youtu.be/S7QCHNpRtKo

2_Use Wordfast Server
Before I describe further, note that WF Server needs to run on Windows. It won't run on Mac, unless you're using a Virtual Machine.
WF Server will behave like Wordfast Anywhere but without the size limits. It also allows that you can run it without an internet access if it's installed on the same machine as WF Pro 5. Here's a use case:
_Laptop 1 has WFPRO 5 and WF Server installed on it. Pro 5 reads and write on the TMs and Glossaries from WF Server on the same machine.
_At home a desktop computer runs a licensed version of Pro 5
_The Pro 5 on desktop is made to connect to the TMs stored on the laptop where WF server is installed.

In effect, this means that while on the go, you translate on your laptop and your TMs and glossaries are updated and when you get back home, from your desktop you will be able to access and update the TMs and glossaries that are on your laptop. This helps for situations where you won't get internet connection.

Off course if you always have internet coverage, you can make this use real-time.

Wordfast Server is free for freelancers up to 3 connections.

You can learn more in this thread:
https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/334415-a_wordfast_server_thread_at_last.html
And in this video:
https://youtu.be/3WtVV2PlaS8

If this helps, please don't forget to like share and subscribe

My bests

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem using external hard drive to transfer updated TMs from mainframe to laptop - Wordfast 5

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »