Thread poster: uytteb
uytteb
uytteb  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 14:20
French to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 25, 2014

Whenever I have a glossary match in the source text of a word preceded by the French article "l'" (L apostrophe), Wordfast doesn't recognise the match. For instance, "l'étanchéité" doesn't show up as a match, but "une étanchéité" does.
The obvious way around this, is to include all words in the glossary with and without this article, but that is somewhat inconvenient. Is there another way to make Wordfast recognise words, even when preceded by an article with an apostrophe?

Clive Phillips
Clive Phillips  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:20
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Asterisk at start of term does not work Feb 25, 2014

I believe that Wordfast Pro (version 3.3.0) still does not allow an asterisk (= wild card) to be added at the start of a term.

Thus you cannot enter the term "oreille" as "*oreille" so that WF Pro finds it and highlights it in the source text when it occurs as "l'oreille".

Any solutions/workarounds, please, Dominique?

uytteb
uytteb  Identity Verified
Belgium
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Possible workaround: add space after apostrophe Feb 25, 2014

I can't remember having this problem in Wordfast Classic before, but that may be me.

A possible workaround is to first add a space after all apostrophes (find-replace) and only then open the file in Wordfast Pro. Not the most elegant solution of course.

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Thanks for feedback Feb 26, 2014

Dear Uytteb and Clive,

Yes, this is an annoying problem for those of us who work from French to English (though I am sure there must be other languages affected by it). I have raised this issue with developers and will bring it up again.
Thanks for the suggested workaround (adding the space), but like you said, not an ideal solution unless the file is Word and you create a macro to automate this for you. You' probably also want to F/R your TM once in a while to replace the st
... See more
Dear Uytteb and Clive,

Yes, this is an annoying problem for those of us who work from French to English (though I am sure there must be other languages affected by it). I have raised this issue with developers and will bring it up again.
Thanks for the suggested workaround (adding the space), but like you said, not an ideal solution unless the file is Word and you create a macro to automate this for you. You' probably also want to F/R your TM once in a while to replace the strange l'(space) with l'.
The other workaround of adding two additional entries (l'étanchéité and d'étanchéité) is tedious.

Thanks for your feedback!
John
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:20
Finnish to French
Lobby for improvement in next/future version Feb 28, 2014

Clive Phillips wrote:
Any solutions/workarounds, please, Dominique?

Unfortunately, I don't have any solution. I agree it's a serious shortcoming for people who have French (but also Italian, which has similar articles élidés) as source language. You should lobby for an improvement in a forthcoming version. The WFP beta list may be the right place for this.

Lucia Messuti
Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Still this issue in Wordfast PRO 5.11 Oct 29, 2019

In Italian we have many words preceeded by an apostrophe.
But this also affects singular / plural and masculine / feminine words, and adding all instances per each word is very long and created very large glossaries.

This affect not only getting the right term when you are translating in a segment, but also when running the Transcheck.

And, it would be helpful getting all glossary terms automatically in the target when you move to next segment, a sort of leverag
... See more
In Italian we have many words preceeded by an apostrophe.
But this also affects singular / plural and masculine / feminine words, and adding all instances per each word is very long and created very large glossaries.

This affect not only getting the right term when you are translating in a segment, but also when running the Transcheck.

And, it would be helpful getting all glossary terms automatically in the target when you move to next segment, a sort of leverage also for terminology.

Are you planning any improvements?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro - glossary matches with words preceded by French article l'

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »