Debora Villa
Debora Villa
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:05
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 22, 2008

Hi everyone

I apologise in advance as this is probably a rather trivial question: I have just started using Outlook 2003 to send/receive emails. I can send, however if I receive an email I get an email alert (little envelope at the bottom of the screen) which I cannot click on to open and view the message, and, if I click on inbox this is empty. Am I missing something? Shouldn't the little envelop alert me to go to my inbox to check my email thus the inbox should contain the mess
... See more
Hi everyone

I apologise in advance as this is probably a rather trivial question: I have just started using Outlook 2003 to send/receive emails. I can send, however if I receive an email I get an email alert (little envelope at the bottom of the screen) which I cannot click on to open and view the message, and, if I click on inbox this is empty. Am I missing something? Shouldn't the little envelop alert me to go to my inbox to check my email thus the inbox should contain the message? Not sure where I am going wrong

TIA
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:05
Italian to English
+ ...
Have you got any spam alerts or filters set up? Feb 22, 2008

This normally happens if you've set up filters which automatically direct emails from certain addresses into the "junk" folder - you get the e-mail alert but there's nothing in the in box.

As far as I'm aware you're not supposed to click on the little envelope, it's just there to tell you to go to your inbox. I've just checked and I can't click on it either - I'd never even previously thought to try!

Debora Villa
Debora Villa
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 22, 2008

Thanks for your reply, I don't think any filters are set up yet, no messages in the junk email box either
Thanks for your time

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Italian to English
+ ...
Have you received any emails? Feb 22, 2008

Is this a sporadic problem or have you been unable to display any received e-mails at all? Have you tried sending a test e-mail to yourself to see what happens?

Debora Villa
Debora Villa
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
hi Feb 22, 2008

I have been sending myself emails from my yahoo account to the outlook account, as soon as I send the email I get the outlook alert and this problem. From outlook I can however send with no problems at all. I have just started using outlook so it's all rather new.....problem included

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Italian to English
+ ...
Sorry, I've run out of ideas... Feb 22, 2008

I hope someone else can help you.

Debora Villa
Debora Villa
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Thank you for your time, have a lovely weekend!

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Server settings Feb 22, 2008

Are your server settings for incoming mail correct?

What happens if you click 'send/receive' to force the program to retrieve mail?

Any error messages?

It's been ages since I used Outlook, I'm a Thunderbird fan. But this may not be an Outlook problem.

Is this the e-mailadress you use for your profile here on ProZ as well? Would you like me to send you a message and see what happens to incoming mail from 'outside'?

Debora Villa
Debora Villa
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
server setting Feb 22, 2008

Hi there, thanks for yor reply. The server setting should be fine as I guess I would not receive the alert.
When I click the send/receive button I get the alert (envelope) to say i have unread mail (no error message) but both inbox and junk mail are empty. What a mistery!
Thanks for offering to email me but it is not necessary as i am doing it myself from my other accounts. I'll have a look at it over the weekend.....once I am less tired, I must be doing something wrong.
<
... See more
Hi there, thanks for yor reply. The server setting should be fine as I guess I would not receive the alert.
When I click the send/receive button I get the alert (envelope) to say i have unread mail (no error message) but both inbox and junk mail are empty. What a mistery!
Thanks for offering to email me but it is not necessary as i am doing it myself from my other accounts. I'll have a look at it over the weekend.....once I am less tired, I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply to me.

Have a lovely weekend
Collapse

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:05
English to Spanish
Specify where new messages are delivered Feb 22, 2008

This is just an idea:

On the Tools menu, click E-mail Accounts.

Click View or change existing e-mail accounts, and then click Next.

In the Deliver new e-mail to the following location list, select where you want to the new messages delivered.

Click Finish.

Quit and restart Microsoft Outlook.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows Outlook 2003

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »